Power loss at high RPM's

My 2001 fz1 has recently been giving me some problems. The carbs needed cleaning and the fuel filter was gross. Finally got that straightened out and it runs great now. Besides when I hit 11,000 rpm's at full throttle. It stutters like it's not getting enough fuel. I just put a new fuel pump in thinking it would fix the problem, it didn't. The only other thing I could think of in the fuel system that could be impeding flow was the petcock. Just removed that and it looked like new. The boots are fine, some small cracks on the carb to engine boots but definitely not all the way through. I'm getting to the end of my rope with this problem and i'm desperate for some answers. Help!

My 2001 fz1 has recently been giving me some problems. The carbs needed cleaning and the fuel filter was gross. Finally got that straightened out and it runs great now. Besides when I hit 11,000 rpm's at full throttle. It stutters like it's not getting enough fuel. I just put a new fuel pump in thinking it would fix the problem, it didn't. The only other thing I could think of in the fuel system that could be impeding flow was the petcock. Just removed that and it looked like new. The boots are fine, some small cracks on the carb to engine boots but definitely not all the way through. I'm getting to the end of my rope with this problem and i'm desperate for some answers. Help!

I'm assuming that your tank has been up and down at least a couple of times now if you've had the carbs cleaned. Were they synched as well?? If so and all is good on the carb side of things, I'd check for the dreaded "kinked fuel line" that has plagued many FZ1 owners and had them thinking that there were other issues at hand. Many times after you set the tank back down the fuel delivery line kinks and starves the bike of fuel at higher rpms. Sometimes they don't look actually kinked but are anyways. Many owners swap them out for a better quality fuel line that won't kink and have resolved the issue. Just a thought for you.

The carbs were not synced.. I was hoping I could get away without doing that. Would that explain a rough idle too? I'll check my fuel lines again to make sure that's not what it is, might as well get some better ones too. Thanks

The carbs were not synced.. I was hoping I could get away without doing that. Would that explain a rough idle too? I'll check my fuel lines again to make sure that's not what it is, might as well get some better ones too. Thanks

If you only cleaned your carbs then yes, a rough idle means that they need synching. They may be way off and the reason for the loss of power at high rpms as well.

Back