Power Commander

I have an FZ1N and wondered whether a power commander is worth the money. I am changing the stock exhaust and the garage is telling me to double up with a power commander.

Are they worth the investment?

Is it likely to make a substantial and noticeable difference?

Someone i know has a GSR600 and says its not worth the money but i appreciate that this is only one person's opinion.

Thanks

Chris

PC is always a good mod and sometimes necessary. But, if all you're doing is a slip-on then it is not a need but a want. If you're doing a full exhaust, you'll want to do an after-market air filter and maybe even modded sub-throttle plates to let her breathe to fill the new headers... THEN you will NEED a PC.

I agree with Eric. I depends upon your level of modification. If you are going to keep it simple, spent the money on the significant other. That will pay off more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the guys have said, if it's only a slip-on muffler then don't waste your money.
Once you start to get serious with more mods like a full system, airbox, flies etc then I would definitely get one.

I disagree, I think a PC is a must have on most bikes but especially the FZ. I have only a slip on, the rest of my bike is bone stock, motor wise at least. ECU mapping from Yamaha is very general so the bike will work well in most conditions. A PC with a custom tune will make a difference in throttle quality and performance.

I've had PCs on four different bikes now and it with a custom tune improved each bike notably.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

I disagree, I think a PC is a must have on most bikes but especially the FZ. I have only a slip on, the rest of my bike is bone stock, motor wise at least. ECU mapping from Yamaha is very general so the bike will work well in most conditions. A PC with a custom tune will make a difference in throttle quality and performance.

I've had PCs on four different bikes now and it with a custom tune improved each bike notably.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

I'm holding off till I hear the results of the ECU tuning. For about the same price as a PC, the improved ECU may make a number of notable improvements and render the PC, IM, and FCE unnecessary. Don't you think Hellgate?

I'm holding off till I hear the results of the ECU tuning. For about the same price as a PC, the improved ECU may make a number of notable improvements and render the PC, IM, and FCE unnecessary. Don't you think Hellgate?

Oh I agree, I think the reflash will be the best bang for the buck. I sure hope they are finished soon. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I'm hoping I can talk the shop into a free dyno comparison between my '10 ECU and the reflashed '06.

My luck Italy will go on vacation for a few months and the programing won't get done until Christmas...

To decide if you need an inj.module is essential know what is it and how it work: on fz1 like on others bikes,the factory need a compromise between the respect of pollutions restrictions and the best engine's expression possible so the electronic injection's ecu is made to work with a catalyzer. When you change the exoust terminal,differently from other bikes(new z1000 for example),you loose the catalyzer and the exoust valve. In this situation(stock bike with after market terminal only),you can experiment differents sensations that are different from a fz1 owner to another 'cause every fz1 is different from another and the number of ex.term today is infinited..Is important understand this thing: 2hp ex.term,more 1hp with air filter and 6hp total with inj.module is NOT THE TRUE! The inj.module is necessary to optimize the work of stock module that you can't modify..loosing the catalyzer you are free from pollution restrictions so is normal looking to a performances improving but a lot of owners never find it!!PowerC like a rapidB or a bazzaz(but to optimize engine work with an after market ex.term there are cheapers solutions)consent you bypassing the stock module to work on inj e anticipo(I don't know english word)cylinder by cylinder free one from another. Another essential point is that if you want a good job,the map need to be created on a dyno board..the preinstalled maps are not dedicated to your bike so is very probably have a bike with ex.term and inj.module with a dirty engine expression..With sport air filter the bike breath better so the perfect team(inj.module+ex.term+airfilter)is ready to launch the bike on dyno board to create a perfect customap that give a better torque's curve with pic torque on lower rpm zone(!!!),improve max power but you'll find more hp on every rpm regimes and,incredible but true,the bike use less gasoline!! Inj.modules really consent you to make upgrades step by step..a shiftgear for example and(dimsport will present the new module for rapidbike at eicma 2011,I know for sure)traction/weeling control!Anyway I hope that I had explane how much important is understand what change on the bike with a part changing to have no delusions and to dont loose money..

PCV w/o Slip-on

There is an improvement in idle, linear acceleration and throttle response with a PCV. The improvement in throttle responsiveness is really noticeable.
I'm running with the OEM can and a K&H filter. NOTE: this is on the 2008 Gen II

I can't show the image of torque and hp on dyno bank at the moment but as soon as possible I'll do..(I think that somewere in the site,an image of my honey performance dates,there is..). Anyway:
Fz1N 06+
Bmc air filter+
leovince sbk slip on+
Ngk iridium set+
RapidBike3=
109 Nm 8400rpm Max torque at weel
141hp 12040rpm Max power at weel
157hp 12040rpm Max power at plane
rpm safe limitator 12600rpm
(with the hard map).
The soft map(an inj.module permit to use more than one map changing,on movement to if you want)have the same power but less torque with a curve very linear that feel perfect on city roads/wet ground.. I'm afraid to can't show how much are linear and progressive without signes breaking there,the torque/power curves..riding you can feel a nice sensation of a clean engine expression and absolutely NO ON/OFF SIGNES;-). My bike passion and formation came from 2stroke(mechanical inj,no autodiagnostic systems,no electronic trottle or any other modern stuff)that will be always on my heart..really afraid for the 2stroke production died..so at the beginning I wasn't an elect. inj. fan,especially on 4 stroke engines..but I love technology so I started to learn about this after market stuff..and now that I understand enough how it works,I'm completely fall in love! I considered the present bikers community the luckyest of ever for the level of technology(with easely access prices)and I really happy to have access to this performance/safe/technology pack!

power commander - tuning

have 06 FZ1
stock head pipes with cheap can - modded flies, ivans ECU, modded air box and followed ivans set up with throttle positions etc
have found revs die at about 10,500 and have never bothered to set up commander as was thrilled with mid range grunt so seemed unecessary until i tried a full out run - 10,500 and thats it
ideas or how to sort power commander?
not really spent any time on it

It won't be the program in the PCV. It sounds like you might have the dreaded fuel line kink. It's pretty common when the tank is lifted. Search for fuel line mod.

Back