Power commander 5: help accelerator pump setting

Hi all,
i need some help about the settings of the accelerator pump of PC5 on my fz1 2007, i would like to activate the pump because i feel a slight on-off when i open the throttle quickly in 4 / 5 gear at 5000/6000 rpm. The manual speaks of trigger (% delta throttle), what settings of trigger do you recommend me to insert? And what about the duration and % of fuel adjustment? Thank you.

It's a little more technical than it used to be, and there's really no support or explanation that's very detailed from Dynojet. I think they're just falling on their face these days. I would email [email protected] and ask him. He's pretty good about this stuff, and he's in management there...seems to actually care.

What I did is have the PCV plugged into the computer, called up the accel pump menu and started the bike. Having it warmed up is important here. You can then go to "capture", and twist the throttle how you think is where you need the shot of fuel. On mine, as is probably on your bike, I needed it to overcome a slight stumble when opening the throttle very fast from trailing throttle. It will give you a number there, save it, then set your revs and fuel adjustment. I have it set for 30 revs with a 50% fuel adjustment. Sounds like a LOT, but it's at least this number that has smoothed out a lean stumble due to all the mods I've done.

T.

Hi all,
i need some help about the settings of the accelerator pump of PC5 on my fz1 2007, i would like to activate the pump because i feel a slight on-off when i open the throttle quickly in 4 / 5 gear at 5000/6000 rpm. The manual speaks of trigger (% delta throttle), what settings of trigger do you recommend me to insert? And what about the duration and % of fuel adjustment? Thank you.

It's a little more technical than it used to be, and there's really no support or explanation that's very detailed from Dynojet. I think they're just falling on their face these days. I would email [email protected] and ask him. He's pretty good about this stuff, and he's in management there...seems to actually care.

What I did is have the PCV plugged into the computer, called up the accel pump menu and started the bike. Having it warmed up is important here. You can then go to "capture", and twist the throttle how you think is where you need the shot of fuel. On mine, as is probably on your bike, I needed it to overcome a slight stumble when opening the throttle very fast from trailing throttle. It will give you a number there, save it, then set your revs and fuel adjustment. I have it set for 30 revs with a 50% fuel adjustment. Sounds like a LOT, but it's at least this number that has smoothed out a lean stumble due to all the mods I've done.

T.

Thanks for the tip, I think is not so easy to simulate the opening of the throttle "in the box" to see where I need the shot of fuel because on the road the on-off effect depends by the engine speed and gear. I read the manual that the maximum recommended percentage of additional fuel is +15%, why? Could we have problems with the injectors with more fuel? Also the maximum recommended rev value is 25. I have a "basic" tuning on my fz1 my07 : a bmc filter, a slip on exaust (mivv suono) and the pc5

Barone, where did you read that? That's not in the PC3 accel pump instructions, and they have no info on the PCV on their site or in the box mine came in. Dynojet's only info simply says this:
Q. What are the best settings for my bike?
A. There are no magical settings. Different riders on
the same bike would choose different settings
based on their riding style.
Some Racers have selected the following:
75% Sensitivity
20% Fuel Increase
15 Engine Revolutions
Some Street Riders have selected:
90% Sensitivity
15% Fuel Increase
20 Engine Revolutions
To use this feature, you will have to experiment with
different settings to suit your riding style.

I have mods that may require more than what they have listed here. You might as well. It is actually easy to do the capture. With the bike warmed up, and the accel pump feature open in the software (capture function), twist throttle as fast as you think you would where you think the accel pump should give you a shot of fuel. That's really where we need it, is those quick snaps of throttle with mods for open air boxes, exhaust, etc.

I guess I don't even get why the have an "accelerator pump" feature on the PC because you don't need it with a fuel injected system. Yes an AP makes sense for a carb as you transition between jets, but for an FI system all you care about the total duty cycle (capacity for the injector) and the ECU, along with the PC will take care of the rest. The whole point if the PC is to set optimal delivery of fuel for a given TP and rpm. If the FI system is optimally delivering fuel for that setting, what is an AP required?

To me this is more DJ snake oil.

I guess I don't even get why the have an "accelerator pump" feature on the PC because you don't need it with a fuel injected system. Yes an AP makes sense for a carb as you transition between jets, but for an FI system all you care about the total duty cycle (capacity for the injector) and the ECU, along with the PC will take care of the rest. The whole point if the PC is to set optimal delivery of fuel for a given TP and rpm. If the FI system is optimally delivering fuel for that setting, what is an AP required?

To me this is more DJ snake oil.

from a different site, EFI 101 thread...
EFI 101 - FZ1OA Message Board

<<<< snip >>>>

There is a lot of confusion regarding the tuning of Acceleration Enrichment. It is far easier to tune AE if you under the underling causes and effects.

There are a few that we have to consider. (Hang with me here)

1) You may remember from high school physics that water will boil at close to room temperature if you pull enough vacuum on it. Conversely, if you apply pressure you can raise the boiling temp up to 250F or more.

2) Water on the driveway always evaporated faster on a windy day than it does on a calm day.

3) Water on the driveway always evaporated faster on a hot day than it does on a cool day.

4) If you leave a cold glass of beer on the counter water droplets form on the side of the glass, apparently water from nowhere.

5) Cold air has more oxygen molecules per cubic foot that hot air.

6) A VE table is designed to balance the amount of fuel delivered from the injectors with the air flow. The internal math of the ECU estimates this airflow and in turn calculates the matching injector pulse width. This airflow calculation is based on intake air temperature, RPM, intake manifold absolute pressure (KPA), and RPM.

7) An intake manifold often has hot water in it. This manifold is attached to hot things and is being blown on by constantly changing amounts of hot air coming off of the radiator and from the exhaust system.

8 ) An intake manifold has a constantly changing amount of air properties and the amount of fuel that can condense on the walls.

9) Fuel in the intake constantly collects on the inside walls of the intake.

10) The amount (thickness) of this layer of fuel is constantly changing.

11) The earlier the fuel is injected in the intake airflow, the more area of the intake wall can get wet.

12) Back pressure on the exhaust, weather caused buy high atmospheric pressure at the end of the exhaust system or by trying to flow too much exhaust through the system causes the motor to need less fuel.

13) The injector delivers fuel only after it has opened. The injector opening time consists of about the first 1.0 millisecond of the pulse width. So if the logs report 10 ms pw1 the injector is only supplying fuel for about 9 ms. This is a big deal if you have a cruse pw of say 4ms and your AE added pw is 6ms. The amount of fuel delivered goes from (4-1) or 3ms of fuel to (4-1)+6 or 9ms or three times the fuel. Plenty of fuel to put out the fire.

14) Way too much fuel feels just like way too little fuel from the driver's seat.

15) Fuel collecting in the walls and floor of the intake behaves much like the water examples above.

<<< snip >>>

In the case of the FZ1, the factory ECU apparently watches the TPS mounted on the sub throttle plates and adds fuel based on a predictions assuming that the sub throttle plates are still there. The factory most likely are aiming for a constant AFR. That AFR target is most likely leaner than what you are aiming for when a PC3 is installed.

Now some real world things to look for

1) A lean AE event will make the motor not snap RPM as expected. Lean may make this response really bad.

2) A rich AE event has the same effect as lean but seldom gets really bad. Rich tends to puff black smoke out the exhaust.

3) Sensitivity is normally the rate of change of the throttle in degrees/sec. 100% means it is really sensitive. 10% means you really have to whack the throttle fast to get the other two settings to set in.

4) The first setting is how many revolution of the crank do you want to add fuel.

5) The percent fuel add is how much additional fuel do you want to add. Remember this is percent added pulse width on top of what the factory thinks is the correct answer. 15% is fairly huge.

Have fun tuning

AW

Back