Powder Coating

I'm thinking of Powder Coating some bits of my 2008 Granite Gray FZ1. I like the black on t the 2010 (below) and wondering how much I should expect to pay to powder coat the: exhaust tip/guard, passenger foot peg hangers, radiator guards (not forks)?

2010 Raven FZ1
2010-Yamaha-FZ1b-small.jpg

Last edited:
Don't think you can powder coat plastic parts like the radiator guards. They need to be metal because of the high temp baking and the need to conduct electricity.

Parts to be coated have a negative charge and powder coat particles have a positive charge so they attract each other. Then the parts are baked at 350-400 degrees to melt and bond the powder coat particles.

I plan to powder coat the foot pegs and mounts over the coming winter. I want them black to match the frame. Kind of like that picture you posted of the '10.

Last edited:
Yeah, just get some flat black spray for the radiator bits. Krylon has some paint specifically designed to bond to plastic now. Just make sure you are diligent about your prep.

I am planning to poweder coat my rider and passenger footepegs, bar risers and handlebar the same gold (or as close as possible) as the rims on my 2009. Another thing I am toying with is the can itself which currently has CF heat shields. Like you I am waiting for Dec./Jan the only two months it is not pleasant to ride here.

Last edited:
I got a quote a while back. If I clean and prep the parts, they charge about $15.00 per part here if it is black. If it is a custom color to match stuff, such as Cobalt Blue, then they charge $20 per part. That was from wheel-sized on down. Screws/bolts, 1 - 20 of them was the same as a single piece.

I was considering doing the pillion pegs, but now I think I'm just going to remove them and make a custom exhaust hanger. :D

Thanks for the feedback.

Don't think you can powder coat plastic parts like the radiator guards.
Yea, I didn't know they were plastic. They'll get sprayed.

I forgot to list, but will also powder coat, rider foot peg sets.

BTW-hope I can purchase that gold lettered "FZ1" decal.

Last edited:
why don't you just wait till the 2010 parts are available and then order 2010 parts that come black? Somethings might be available in black in the older models.

True they might be slightly different pattern or something but i would bet not. Get a tape measure and go to a dealer and measure the important things.

why don't you just wait till the 2010 parts are available and then order 2010 parts that come black? Somethings might be available in black in the older models.

True they might be slightly different pattern or something but i would bet not. Get a tape measure and go to a dealer and measure the important things.

I guarantee powder coating will be cheaper than buying the parts.

I am planning to do all matt black or satin black. Not gloss as it scratches easily.

I think I am going to go with the satin black when I powder coat my pegs. Just waiting for it to get cold enough where I wont be riding anymore. Will probably do it sometime in December or so.

Back