Powder coating the End Can

Chukka

Im looking to fit a GP Pro Evo II to my 2010 FZ1N but i want it matt black.I believe cans should be heard but not seen.
Anyone ever had a can powder coated and what were the results.
Is it better to run the can for a few thousand miles first to get any tarnishing out of the way before coating.
Is there any other way of coating the can black.

Thx for any replies

Im looking to fit a GP Pro Evo II to my 2010 FZ1N but i want it matt black.I believe cans should be heard but not seen.
Anyone ever had a can powder coated and what were the results.
Is it better to run the can for a few thousand miles first to get any tarnishing out of the way before coating.
Is there any other way of coating the can black.

Thx for any replies

Cans get hot! Powder coating (even high temp) will start looking dull and maybe even flake off eventually. Look into ceramic coating. The stuff will last forever! Heat is not an issue and the cost difference is vey little. I have an Old FZ 600 with the header and can done in silver. It looks as good as the day it was done (about 10 years ago).:cheers:

yeah i got my coatings wrong.It would be ceramic im having done.I was told ceramic tends to chip quite easily.As youve had experience of ceramic,did you find it chips easily,a bit or not at all ?.

yeah i got my coatings wrong.It would be ceramic im having done.I was told ceramic tends to chip quite easily.As youve had experience of ceramic,did you find it chips easily,a bit or not at all ?.

If they are chipping I have not been able to tell, so if they do a good job, you should be good for a decade at least. They way mine are They will outlast the bike (I still have it). Burnt boot scrubs off easy as well.

Cans get hot! Powder coating (even high temp) will start looking dull and maybe even flake off eventually. Look into ceramic coating. The stuff will last forever! Heat is not an issue and the cost difference is vey little. I have an Old FZ 600 with the header and can done in silver. It looks as good as the day it was done (about 10 years ago).:cheers:

Well they have hi-temp (1200° F) powder coating, which should hold up just fine. Ceramic coating would be even better, but you're limited in your choice of colors. IMHO ceramic coating is quite durable. Years ago I had headers ceramic coated in silver and the muffler sleeve powder coated. Both help up just fine. See pic below...

Attachments

• FZR1000.jpg
    FZR1000.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 77
Back