Potential Newbie

I'm coming off an 05 Yammie RoadStar 1700. It was a great bike but I'm tired of the bulk of the cruiser and want something lighter and more nimble, with some torque / HP down in lower RPM's, and also so you don't have to go above 10k rpms to get any usable power. I want to stay w/ the Yamaha brand as well. I just tried an 07 FZ6, it was nimble, had a great high-reving motor, but in 6th at 40 mph the rpms sounded so high, but it was only at 4k rpms. I want something a little quiter at the lower speeds. The FZ6 had awesome power but it was just too high in the powerband. I think it's redline was 13-14k!

Will the FZ1 give me what I'm looking for, ie lots of power down low, as well as even more up high? I'm not looking to scream around at high speeds and drag my knee etc, I just don't want to be always searching for a higher gear. I know these won't have the same pull as my Roadstar down low, just hopefully better than the FZ6. Any comments will be appreciated. Next challenge is re-convincing my wife - I told her I was thru after the last bike!

I'm coming off an 05 Yammie RoadStar 1700. It was a great bike but I'm tired of the bulk of the cruiser and want something lighter and more nimble, with some torque / HP down in lower RPM's, and also so you don't have to go above 10k rpms to get any usable power. I want to stay w/ the Yamaha brand as well. I just tried an 07 FZ6, it was nimble, had a great high-reving motor, but in 6th at 40 mph the rpms sounded so high, but it was only at 4k rpms. I want something a little quiter at the lower speeds. The FZ6 had awesome power but it was just too high in the powerband. I think it's redline was 13-14k!

Will the FZ1 give me what I'm looking for, ie lots of power down low, as well as even more up high? I'm not looking to scream around at high speeds and drag my knee etc, I just don't want to be always searching for a higher gear. I know these won't have the same pull as my Roadstar down low, just hopefully better than the FZ6. Any comments will be appreciated. Next challenge is re-convincing my wife - I told her I was thru after the last bike!

Well we have plenty of guys on here that came over from FZ6's so I am sure that they can give you better opinions than I can. Short answer is yes the FZ1 will have better power everywere over the FZ6 because of it's bigger engine. That being said the FZ1 engine is based on the R1 engine so it's definitely no torque monster at low RPMs.

For me, coming off a torque monster like the Buell Ulysses, I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of down low pull my new FZ-1 has. I haven't taken it past 7k to respect the break in and I have no issues accelerating HARD to merge and pass. It is also very smooth with hardly any vibrations through the seat and handlebars. It really is a great commuter.

You won't regret planking down the cash for an FZ1, especially if you want to off-load a bunch of weight. I have an 08 FZ1 and an 81 naked Goldwing. It's nothing less than pure joy to go from the wing to the FZ. Even if power wasn't an issue, the ability to turn the thing around in the driveway or back it up in the garage is so much easier it feels like a toy compaired to the Goldie. The FZ1 is relatively docile until you give it the gas at 5000-6000, then things start to happen quickly. It's got the nads to haul you down the road in a hurry. It does sound like it's reving higher than it really is, especially if you have a short can like I do, but I have gotten used to it. If you want a fun sportbike the FZ is hard to beat.

Read Norm's thread with the latest FZ1 musings. You'll have a new-found appreciation for the FZ1.

It will offer all you are looking for and without a whole lot of money, you can turn the bike into a really fine tuned monster. But, stock? It will just EAT up a lot of bikes out there. She's a beast. I am like Norm... often surprisd I still have a gear or two left after I am at speed! :D

Back