Pod light / LED signal question I have not seen answered before

bavarianmw

Sorry, I know this is a common topic, and I did an exhaustive search. It doesnt seem like i was able to find an answer to this out there!

I have LED turn signals up front, and the LED pod lights (and angel eyes) hoooked up to act as running lights when not turning, and alternating with the LED turn signals when the turn signal is activated.

BUT, I am getting some power bleeding to the LED turn signals when they're off (barely lit, but on still), plus both my turn signal indicator lights are lit in the guage cluster (not good)....

I have added a new flasher relay already, and thought I did not need the resistors for the LED turn signals, but maybe these would help my problem of the power bleeding thorugh the circuit? Or, does wiring in a diode help somehow I read on the other site? I cant have the turn signal lights in my guages lit all the time! Please help?! --MW

I have only done a few indicators and they all went to plan, but I can tell you that adding another diode won't do anything since an LED is a diode already. Adding another will just drop the voltage by a smidge or (if put in the other way) will block current flow entirely.
It sounds like you have a wiring issue if you are getting power in the circuit when you shouldn't be. Adding a resistor would reduce the current draw, but your problem would not be eliminated, just mitigated (and your blinkers would be more dim).
Did you do all of the mods at one time? How much did you alter the circuit (any wire cutting/splicing) and were you following some directions?

I had a similar problem, even after replacing the relay. I finally installed resistors on both sides and soldered everything and that took care of it.

I had a similar problem, even after replacing the relay. I finally installed resistors on both sides and soldered everything and that took care of it.

Cool, thanks, that was my next thing to try. Did you put these on just the front, both sides? Or front and rear both sides?

Now I have this issue. What load equalizers did you use?

I used the one's that came with the Yamaha LED blinkers. Not sure what specs they have, BUT... I have had some more issues with the turn signal circuit. I was going to post again once I tried my next fix. But you bring it up, so I'll post this a bit early.

Basically, I stopped getting flashing when I'd use the turn signals as wired above. Both turn signal indicators in the gauge cluster would light up (when turn signals activated), but with no flashing, and very odd lighting of the pods, LED turn signals, and angel eyes. Some were stuck on, some off. Ugh.....

This did not happen with the stock turn signal relay (strangely, it just went back to normal operation but with a fast blink), so I called Custom LED about the issue. After talking to Jon there, he explained the correct way to fix this "bleeding thorough the circuit" problem is to wire in diodes, like below. Hopefully, he doesn't mind me quoting him below. He is a good guy and very willing to help, so I do not think he'll mind. If I understood him correctly, the diodes will only allow electricity to pass in one direction, hence stopping the bleeding problem.

So I would try the diode fix, not the resistors. I am planning to wire in the diodes sometime soon (and remove the resistors!) and will update this thread then. Hope this helps! --Mike

------------------------------------------------------

"What you need to do is install ONE diode on the green and the brown wires up front. I recommend that you install the diodes on the aftermarket turn signal side of the connection so you are not cutting any of the oem wires. I do not know what colors those are, but they match up to the brown and green wires.

The diode part number is 1N4001. It is a Standard 1A Silicone Rectifier Diode.

There is a grey band on the diode towards one side. That side of the diode should be wired to TOWARDS the aftermarket LED's. You will cut the wire, and install the diode in-line. Again, one on the brown, one on the green.

This will prevent voltage from back-feeding from the running light circuit to the turn signal circuit.

You should remove all resistors that you have installed, as they are not necessary, or the proper solution for the issue you are describing."

Last edited:
Back