Plug in tire

markowinnipeg

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a tire developing a crack after a plug has been installed? Last summer I picked up a large nail and got a flat. I was on the road so plugged it and was on my way. This was about 1500 km ago. I just noticed that behind the plug between the treads there is a small looks like crack developing, not deep more like on the surface, I was about to take the tire off to get a plug and patch installed but now thinking maybe a new tire is in order? Thoughts......

Well any garage will tell you to replace the tire just to sell you a new one, but if you can find one that will put a patch in see if they will use a plug patch. This is a patch that has a piece of rubber that gets pulled through the hole fromt the inside and then there is patch attached to it, so you get best of both worlds. I personally have never had one fail that I have put in. Hope this helps.

I believe a lot depends on how agressive you are and how much stress you plan on putting on the tire. I've both plugged and patched tires with good success but I'm pretty easy going. If it were my tire I'd keep a close eye on it and if it looked like the damage was spreading I'd replace the tire. If it looks like it's going OK, I'd do my best to get some more mileage out of it.

The last time I had to patch a tire (bike tire)I used it to get home and then went out and got a new tire. Don't think I would want to trust it at any kind of speed. And who knows if any of the cords or bands got cut. Personally I wouldn't think of using a tire like that.

I too am against plugs and would only use one in an emergency situation. With that being said, my dad got a plug on his BMW(bike) and still has the tire on his bike after 3000miles.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a tire developing a crack after a plug has been installed? Last summer I picked up a large nail and got a flat. I was on the road so plugged it and was on my way. This was about 1500 km ago. I just noticed that behind the plug between the treads there is a small looks like crack developing, not deep more like on the surface, I was about to take the tire off to get a plug and patch installed but now thinking maybe a new tire is in order? Thoughts......

Can you take a picture of your tire? I would like to see what it looks like.

I keep forgetting that I can post pics......well here it is, looking at it seems to be getting longer. When you move it it is like the actually tread section is lifting.
I have a brand new Dunlop Sportmax Q2 front sitting to be installed I am thinking I will be ordering up a matching Sportmax Q2 rear

Looks dangerous to me... The fact that you had to ask should sound the alarm bells. If you are getting the front changed, do the back aswell.

I had a tyre plugged on my old sv and that was fine, infact the by who has it now still has the same tyre on.

But a large crack from the plug... Warning signs in my book

Yeah Id change that one. The biggest reason for that is that looks like it could be deep enough to expose belt package to elements and this causes belts to rust, with corrrision in the belt package it weakens it leaving a high probability of a blow out. Just wanna pass on some tire knowlege I learned while I was doing adjustments for a tire company.

I should clarify I plugged the tire on the side of the road last year at the end of the season, I knew I had to do a front tire change this season so was keeping a close eye on the tire as plug make me nervious.
The cracking has just developed, we are talking in the last 600 km of riding. When I first noticed it you could barely see it. Even know on the tire the lenght is only 1/2 inch long but looking at it in a blown up pic from my wife's facny Nikon .... WOW!
I already have a new back tire on order from Jake Wilson. Having said that I will still ride put a few slow rides on this one.
I am posting so that everyone can see what a plug can result in. This was 1500 KM after the plug +/-. I do ride hard but usually not over 150kph, did however have a couple of short 200 kph bursts but still no were what the speed rating of the tire is, even if I take it down one rating.
SCARY in the future I will not wait to order a new tire after a plug, as far as this guy is concerned it is screwed at that point.
Thanks all

Back