Please help. Made a quick job difficult.

SeanM

Hi folks. New to this board.
I have a 2005 FZ1 that I've owned for 3.5yrs.
Recently the transmission gasket for the case surrounding the shaft for the shifter started to leak.
I have the new gasket so I took the cover off, I wasn't careful enough and pulled the shaft out with it. I heard some pinging and popping sounds and now I have the shaft with some strange looking pieces, including a small spring, hanging off the end of it.
I know I should have held it in, I didn't. :banghead:
This bike is my daily driver to work and I'm not sure how to hook this back up.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Also, the oil in the tranny was white. :shame::cry:

You pretty much put it back together exactly as shown there... I really doubt anything came apart inside the tranny.

or... here ya go:

003-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for the pics!
On the lower right looking in to the trans is a part that spins. Does it have to be lined up a certain way?

It's been quite a few years since I've had one apart.. so details are a little sketchy in my brain, but I remember it really only going back together one way... and if you have any doubts, you can hook up the shift lever with everything still torn apart, to verify that things are working correctly.

One more thing.. in the upper left of the picture.. that little spring... that heinous bastard has been known to pop off of the peg on the left side... get in there with a pair of needlenose pliers and close up that hook on the spring a little bit... you'll thank me later.

Hey guys, lookin for a little help here. I've just got done doing this gasket, but before I really tightened everything up and filled it with oil, I checked the shifting pattern. Turns out I only have a three speed now, so I must have moved something around when working on it.

My question is, does anybody now the factory setting or the way to fix this?

Back