Please help FZ1 project!

Hello all, I bought a crashed 06 fz1 with 10k miles. :tup: Damage done was everything on top. The closest that it got to the engine was the air box was completely destroyed but other then that not a scratch on the motor... I replaced everything witch was, tank, handle bars and rear tail body pieces. Im on a budget so I did not buy a new air box, instead put individual filter on the TBs. I am getting errors 13, 22 and 30(Wont let me start the bike). No idea how to fix them I was hoping you guys can point me in the right direction and most economical way. I want to get all the power out of the bike as much as I can without buying a Power Commander or exhaust(want to keep it stock) and remove the AIS system to just have fresher air go into the engine and longer life. Woul i be able to remove the AIS with the stock ecu? :banghead: Please help as I have everything ready to ride, only thing holding me back is starting the bike. Thank you so much for all the help! :bowdown:

Last edited:
When you say "it won't start", do you mean she won't "crank", or she cranks but won't turn over? If she won't crank at all you may want to start looking at the tip over switch by the kickstand, or the handlebar switch as well. If she is cranking but won't turn over, you may have to wait for some of the GenII guys to tell you what those codes mean.

I will have to look in my manual when I get home for the code unless someone else beats me to it. One thing that I thought of right away was the airbox sensor that plugs in on the top of the airbox, to the rear. Without that pluged into the sensor you will get an error code. If you don't have a stock airbox then I suspect that is one of the codes coming up.

The tip over sensor on the Gen 2's is under the seat on the left side between the rider and passenger seats, just under the bar where the latch is.

13 - Intake pressure sensor, can start and can drive with error

22 - Intake temp sensor, can start and can drive with error

30 - Lean angle cut off switch, can't start and can't drive

My suggestion is find a used airbox on Ebay and be happy. Pod filters don't work well in crosswinds, the wind will actually lean the bike out, and you lose any "trapping" effect that the airbox provides for the incoming air/fuel changes.

Hello all, I bought a crashed 06 fz1 with 10k miles. :tup: Damage done was everything on top. The closest that it got to the engine was the air box was completely destroyed but other then that not a scratch on the motor... I replaced everything witch was, tank, handle bars and rear tail body pieces. Im on a budget so I did not buy a new air box, instead put individual filter on the TBs. I am getting errors 13, 22 and 30(Wont let me start the bike). No idea how to fix them I was hoping you guys can point me in the right direction and most economical way. I want to get all the power out of the bike as much as I can without buying a Power Commander or exhaust(want to keep it stock) and remove the AIS system to just have fresher air go into the engine and longer life. Woul i be able to remove the AIS with the stock ecu? :banghead: Please help as I have everything ready to ride, only thing holding me back is starting the bike. Thank you so much for all the help! :bowdown:

:welcome: to the forum!

I had issues with my bike a while back where it ran like absolute crap. After looking at the error codes and finding 13 and 22 were an issue, I tested the sensors and they were fine. My guess is that at some point when I had the tank lifted and things unplugged, I must have started the bike and faulted the ECU with the unplugged sensors. Now, what this means for you is that without those sensors, yours will also run like crap unless you can install them properly or find a way to trick the ECU into believing they are installed and operating correctly. As Pete (Hellgate) said, you'd be better off to get the airbox and sensors and make it right. You main issue is the lean angle sensor. Check to see if that is OK and then reset the error codes and see if the bike starts. We have the instructions for getting to and resetting the codes in a couple other threads here.

As for the AIS, yes, you can remove it and cap the valve cover holes without any issues or errors on the ECU. It has nothing to do with air going into the engine or a longer engine life. The AIS is designed to pull fresh air from the airbox and inject it into the exhaust gasses as they enter the header. The heat from the CAT/pipes along with the injected air ignites and burn excess fuel exiting the engine before it reaches the environment. Without an airbox, you will need to, at the very least, plug the AIS hose that was supposed to be attached to the bottom of the airbox. You can always remove the system later as the block will do the exact same job.

For now, you need to resolve the lean angle sensor to get the bike running. Once there, start working on the other items. PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket. is a great place to get OEM parts cheap. They have a microfiche there to help you select parts. They are not the fastest place for filling your order and shipping it but they have some of the best prices around. For instance, the upper and lower halves of your airbox? Total cost is under $46.00 + shipping. The air temp sensor is under $20 + shipping. :yes:

Good luck and keep coming back. We'll all help you through this and get you on the road ASAP!

I added all the parts to the cart and the entire intake assembly above the throttle bodies is under $250.00 + shipping. :D :tup: Now, do you have any of those parts still around? Screws, clamps, velocity stacks, etc??? Look at what is usable and start taking those out of the list. Good to go!

Thank you all!

Awesome! Thank you all for the help! The air temp sensor is still there and connected to the harnes (could have been damaged from the crash but looks ok). As for the lean angle sensor. Where is it located, How do i check that or fix the issue. (i hear u can disable it all together could i do that?) I checked all the sensor and nothing seemed to be broken, Everything was in good condition. Have all the hardware from the airbox but all plastic pieces were destroy no vls. I really appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction, now i can do a lil better research and buy the parts that are necessary. Nothing yet on ebay for the second gen airbox only first gen but will keep looking. You guys are great, thanks again for all the info! I will keep u guys posted on the process. Thanks! :tup:

Last edited:
Back