Platinum Spark plug or normal plug?????

stick with the OEM NGK's... you won't notice any difference with other plugs.

I agree...regular copper plugs will typically give you the best power at the expense of plug life. To me the extended life of the platinum (or iridium) plugs are not worth the price premium.

Ngk

I have always used NGK's (OEM) on every bike that I have owned and never had a problem.

I'm not big on change for the sake of change. A lot of the new designs are more marketing than advancement / improvement.

How often are folks typically replacing plugs on the fz1?

When I ran the cr9ek's on the gpz, they seemed to last about 10-12K miles. On the c14, the iridium plugs were still good at 35K miles. For the sake of longevity, I probably will replace the stock plugs with something longer lasting. I do more than 15K miles/year, so trying to limit major maintenance to at most once per year .

Iridium plugs will go 100k easy.

That's worth it in my opnion that you only have to change them once. Just make sure you use anti-seize on the threads, as leaving a plug in the head that long can cause problems if you ever do try and remove it later.

By the way. I'm planning on changing the plugs to my 2006 S-model. Do I need to take off anything else than the tank and air box to get to the plugs?

I bought the Iridium ones from sparkplugs.co.uk since they were cheaper than normal ones :D

Back