Pilot Road 4 Revealed

Dustin

Looks like a gooder! Can't wait

Press Release

The new Michelin Pilot Road 4: three different versions available from January 2014

The Michelin Pilot Road 4 for sport touring, trail and GT bikes will be available in early 2014.
The new BMW R 1200 RT will be factory-fitted with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT.
Michelin has once again pushed the limits of braking. On wet surfaces, the new tyre’s braking distance is shorter than that of its main competitors.

In 2014 Michelin will bring to market an all-new range of motorcycle tyres, available in three versions: the Michelin Pilot Road 4, Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT and Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail.

Intended for road use only, these tyres cover most categories of road motorcycles of more than 600cc.They were designed to deliver maximum safety in the most common conditions of use, especially on wet roads and in particular when braking.

Michelin will also be the tyre supplier for the new BMW R 1200 RT with the GT version of its new tyre. The fact that BMW has selected the Pilot Road 4 for this bike – the bestselling bike in its category – reflects the level of performance it provides.

In short, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 delivers enhanced safety in all situations and extended tyre life. They are a tangible illustration of Michelin’s Total Performance strategy of constantly and simultaneously improving tyre performance characteristics across the board.

With the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyres, the aim is to enable as many motorcyclists as possible to experience safe riding in nearly all conditions.

Size availability

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Standard
120/60 ZR 17
120/70 ZR 17
150/70 ZR 17
160/60 ZR 17
180/55 ZR 17
190/50 ZR 17
190/55 ZR 17

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT
120/70 ZR 17
120/70 ZR 18
170/60 ZR 17
180/55 ZR 17
190/50 ZR 17
190/55 ZR 17

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail
110/80 R 19
120/70 R 19
150/70 R 17
170/60 R 17

I must say I'm loving my Pilot Road 3's at the moment. They are sooo much better, so much better than the Pilot Road 2's I had before (I'm wondering if I just had a crappy set). Pilot Road 4's sound interesting say the least.

Nice looking tire, I bet they are great in the rain. I'm curious to see what the trail version is like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The Pilot Road 3s I used on the 919 were by far the best all around tires I've ever tried. The only gripes I had were were issues with cupping from hard riding, especially at the front. I wonder if the new iteration will remedy that a bit.

Too bad the VFR has a brand new set of BT-023s on it now. :tdown:

Last edited:
Mmh, I never liked the PR3, had 2 sets but the Pirelli Angel GT are much much better, even in the rain and in the dry its night and day.
From what is written it sounds as they did not improve the precision and the overall stability during cornering. That would have been areas to work on not the wet performance and not the braking. Sounds to me like a boomer but let's see.

Mmh, I never liked the PR3, had 2 sets but the Pirelli Angel GT are much much better, even in the rain and in the dry its night and day.
From what is written it sounds as they did not improve the precision and the overall stability during cornering. That would have been areas to work on not the wet performance and not the braking. Sounds to me like a boomer but let's see.

I was pretty certain I was going to try the Angel GT until I saw this PR4 announcement. Your opinion of the Angels alone was compelling enough to convince me. How long have you used the GTs for now and was it strictly in California or also in your prior riding territory in Germany?

Hi Dustin,

I just had one set of them, now they are 8k miles old and soon to be replaced. I used them in Cali, Nevada, Arizona and Utha. So they performed well in the desert heat and in the cold mountain mornings. However I have only limited wet experiences: I had often damp, wet roads and rode them through 3 small creeks and some few times in stronger rain. They performed well in the rain.

I like them better than the PR3 especially in the dry they are far better, in the wet I felt with both tires confident. My main problem with the PR3 is that they are not very stable when cornering, with high lean angle they become not very predictable and I had to correct the line much more often than with the Angel GT.

However, I know that tires depend a lot on rider preferences and style so what I like might not be what you are looking for.

In Germany I usually used Conti Road Attack2 which are even better handling than the Pirelli but their lifetime is much much shorter and they are not good in wet conditions.

PR4 outstanding!

Just bought the front pr4.
Have only ridden about 1500 miles and have to say this is by far, the most outstanding tire I have ever purchased. No comment on durability yet, but you can tell I am enjoying them.
I have never had any single purchase have such an impact in the corners. I am comfortable taking the sweepers and other curves at another gear up than I ever had before. It is like you are glued to the road, or attached to a rail. Most expensive front I have purchased, and I will not consider another tire....till the pr5 I guess. Just simply amazing. No rain yet, so no comment, but expect strong performance. Love this tire.have a pr2 on the rear. Like it quite well also.

From what I see, the PR4 looks like the PP3 with rain sipes and most likely a harder compound. That sounds like a winning combination. I've loved my PR3's. I intend to get a set of PP3's for my trip to the Dragon and Georgia in Sept, but the PR4's or the Angel GT's will go on after that.

Whats a "gooder" ?

Thanks for the heads up Dustin. I'm loving my PR3s and if I can get some more miles on them to wear them out I'll definitely be looking at the PR4s. Please excuse my ignorance of Canadian english but what's a "gooder"?

Back