Pilot Road 4. Ohh yea

I'm almost due for a new set of hoops, I did like my Pirelli but might have to try these out. What are they like in the twisties? Do they hook up well?

How do you like them in the wet? I have had every single day since I got my motorcycle and it came with a squared off rear tire so I think that wet riding chart characteristics are most important for me. I have pilot power on there now. I was also looking at Pirelli Diablo.

Mine seem to be OK in the rain but then again I'm not a tire tester with a skid pad that can test every brand and type of tire available under identical conditions.

Yes, 120/70R17 front and 180/55R17 rear. You may want to consider replacing as a set for optimal handling and performance, especially if your existing tires are old. The condition of the tread is only one hint to replace them, even new looking tires may well be past their 'best before date'.

Last edited:
Hmm, i think the front one loos good. I watched a video on youtube about when to replace your tires and it showed cracks and what not to look for, of course now I'm an expert! but seriously, I would say the front one looks good. the back one is a square that is worn down to the replacement indicators. I'm going in. I'm heading to the store to get a breaker bar, since the socket I have has little leverage. Wish me luck, I will report back tonight. It looks hard though. It looks easy to remove the wheel and hard to remove the tire.

What is the make and model of your front tire? There's a date stamp (4 digit code) on the sidewall, what's it say?

Also, for the benefit of speedy roadside repairs, practice working on your bike with the factory tool kit. Most factory tool kits have everything you need to do minor repairs, including removing the rear wheel

Last edited:
Good advice. My front is also the Pilot Power(i bought a pilot power rear) The date is 0614.

I did not get a chance to try to instal it yesterday, today I will though. I had a friend who sad he had changed tires, so I wore the tire around my shoulder and rode to his house, but he didn't really feel like it when I got there. It was pretty late though. Looks like I will be doing it myself tonight.

Wow that was hard! I got it on though. I feel good about doing it myself too

I wonder why the shop charges so much for the wheel removal. That was the easy part. The tire was the hard part. Very hard. Hard to break that bead and stretch it out over the rim. I'm sure it will go easier next time now that I know what I'm doing.

Wow that was hard! I got it on though. I feel good about doing it myself too

I wonder why the shop charges so much for the wheel removal. That was the easy part. The tire was the hard part. Very hard. Hard to break that bead and stretch it out over the rim. I'm sure it will go easier next time now that I know what I'm doing.

It becomes easier as you practice it more. The key is to keep it well lubed. Lubrication makes all the difference in getting the bead to slip on or off.

I have my first set of PR4s which were mounted on the 2009 I crashed, repaired and sold but I kept the tires and put them on the 2013. I've only got 2500 miles on these tires but they still look like they are new. The grip is confidence-inspiring and the rain performance is the best I've ever had. If they last into the 13k+ miles, I see no reason to look for another tire to replace it.

***EDIT*** Just saw this review:

[video=youtube;gGD6HLdNcW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGD6HLdNcW4[/video]

Last edited:
Back