Pilot Road 4. Ohh yea

So I just had a new set of PR4's installed and have put on 600 miles (300 today of good high speed sweepers). All I have to say is 4 thumbs up, 5 gold stars, and one happy man. I've gone through PR2's and hated those. PR3's are quite the improvement and a very capable tire. The Pilot Road 4 is hands down the champ.

The grip is sticker than the PR3 almost like the Pilot Power 3. The transition into lean is smoother than both the PR2 (sudden lean change is why I hated those tires), and better than the PR3 which had a decent turn in transition. And the grip was so sticky I at all speeds had to lean the bike less than I was used to at higher speeds even.

If you are looking for a do it all tire for this season I would buy the Pilot Road 4s. And supposedly they have 20% longer life than the Pilot Road 3 which I got 10k and some change out of before hitting the wear bars.

I also have about 600 mi. on pr4s and very happy .

Ordered a full set that are waiting at the shop until I get a little closer to my North Carolina/Tennessee trip at the end of June. I have PR3s on it now. Timing is about perfect for the rear and a little early for the front. Going to replace both at the same time anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Glad to hear. My current rear is a Dunlop road smart that has been a good tire for grip and ride characteristic's. Tire life has not been what I expected though, already to wear bars with only 6k miles. I ordered a new pr4 from revzilla last week. Will be here tues to get mounted up. Heading out for a 3500+ mile run on Wednesday through out the west. Have a pr3 on the front with under 1k. So my shoes ought to be good.

Thanks for the review, I'm gonna try the PR 4 this fall/winter. I've been running Dunlop Q3s and I absolutely love them, tons of grip, smooth cornering transition at any speed, still decent when it wet. Unfortunately they wear quickly. I just replaced my rear Q3 (which was long overdue after only 5 months and 4500 miles) with a new Q3 because its summer and the roads are prime for throwing down in the corners. Next time around will be the PR 4 which sounds like a great tire and should last all winter.

I have about 800 miles on mine and like them. Of course about any tire would be better than the OEM Dunlops. I only had them in the wet once but they seemed to behave well. I really like how they feel in a fast turn over the OEMs.

Thanks for the heads up on the post. I really hated the Dunlop OEMs and loved the PR2s (personally I was disappointed in the PR3s, they wore uneven and didn't ride as well as the PR2s for me). I have read great reviews on the PR4 and am looking forward to trying these.

Thanks for the review! Inspired me to order a set. I got the 55 for the rear instead of the 50. Dennis Kirk had the best price and only $10 for "oversize" shipping total... I have Pilot Powers on the bike now and they did not last long AT ALL! Great grip but very poor in wet conditions. Since I do more miles commuting and touring, the Road 4 set makes the most sense.

1 Front Pilot Road 4 120/70ZR-17 Blackwall Tire - 96914 - Part #: 544509 1 of these items are on Backorder $119.88 $119.88

1 Rear Pilot Road 4 190/55ZR-17 Blackwall Tire - 03114 - Part #: 544514 $184.88 $184.88

2 Carbon 5008 Tank Protector Kit - 5008CA - Part #: 185576 $18.99 $37.98

Thank you for your order!

Merchandise Total: $342.74
Shipping Charge: $10.00
Sub Total: $352.74
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $352.74

Forgot to ask... how has the wear been for those who have the 4's? Anyone finding the center wear is holding up and not prematurely flat-spotting like the Pilot Powers?

I have about 1400 miles so far on pr4 rear and about 3500 on a pr3 front. Since I left N idaho, now at bridges nm in Utah I had rain, lots of slab and a couple hundred of twisties. I love the pr4 so far. By far the best tire I have had on my Gen 2. I had the stock Dunlops (JUNK) then a road smart on the rear with the current pr3 up front. Which I like as well. It has ran well and wear is good and fairly even still with well over 70% left. Once it goes I will do the pr4

I just ordered a set of PR4s even though I have a mere 350 miles on the oem tires. I ran PR3s on the SV650 that i just came from and that last set had 10k+ and still had several thousand to go. I may just spoon them on as soon as they show up and use the stock tires for those flower beds the wife has been asking for :)

I only put about 400 miles on my PR4s before I crashed. At no point have I thought that the tires were the problem. I was really looking forward to putting them through their paces in West Virginia and North Carolina. If the longevity and quality of the tires is any sort of improvement over the PR3's, I don't see why anyone wouldn't go with the PR4's on their next tire change. My front PR3 lasted 10,700 miles, and still had quite a bit of life left in it. I kept it as a back-up in case something punctured the new tire. The rear PR3 was on even longer, about 13,000 miles. It was still above the wear bars, but definitely looking to be replaced. No squaring that I could see or feel.

I'll definitely get another set of Pilot Road 4's when it comes time to change the new bike's tires.

Thanks guys! I'm hoping the buyback price of my bike is low enough to entice me. I put less than 200 miles on my PR4 set (plus all the OTHER mods) and would like to have those back. I'd just trade out the wheels for now and not have to spoon off the OEM and spoon on the PR4 set. ;) It would be awesome to have a spare set of wheels with both my wife and I on FZ1s. :Rockon:

Forgot to ask... how has the wear been for those who have the 4's? Anyone finding the center wear is holding up and not prematurely flat-spotting like the Pilot Powers?

Ive had 2 on mine and 3500 miles on rear and they are done...not happy with mileage at all...trying the Bridgestone T30's next time...

Back