Picking up my first FZ1 this morning! What mods to start off with?

Found a Black 2001 with 12k on the clock $2999 at a dealership. I've been watching and waiting for 3 months now at the few FZ1's in my area and this is the best price i've come across in the color I wanted. Can't WAIT! This forum is awesome with all the info and friendly, mature discussion. Extremely proud to join in on this community.

Okay, down to business :sinister: This bike is BONE stock which I love, because I can do it up the way I want to. First things first, the cheap mods.

-AIS removal ( I like the one sold on ebay with the caps instead of tapping )
-Air box mod ( Dremel is ready to go )
-Fender eliminator ( what's the cheapest out there? )
-Sprockets? ( I may stay stock till I get used to the power. I am coming from a shadow 1100 as my first bike )
-Bar end mirrors ( Definitely don't like the bug antennas, any modding to the bar ends to make mirrors fit? )
-Suspension set up ( Saw the thread for heavy riders gonna try those settings. I'm 6'5'' 230 )

Is there anything else I'm missing? I'd like to get some aftermarket LED markers for front and rear but I fear that it's gonna cost a pretty penny from what i've seen out there.

Anyways, thanks for any input and see ya'll around :smoking:

Congrats on the bike. Sounds like you got a pretty decent deal. Those mods that you have planned should be fine with the exception of the air box mod. If you're referring to the other threads that you have seen on here they only apply to the Gen II bike. I don't think you need/want to mess with the stock air box. Only other thing I can think to add to your initial list of mods is a jet kit since the stock jetting is on the lean side even with the stock exhaust.

Welcome to the forum. You'll surely get some ideas here to personalize your ride. If you are from Toledo it may be a while before you are quite ready to ride so you should have plenty of time to decide what's right for you. You might want to do at least a little riding before you start to do your mods to see what you like and dislike about the stock ride. Most of us on here have been doing the same O'l, same O'l. Maybe you can come up with some ideas that are new and fresh. I was reading Cycle World and saw some bikes from Europe (older bikes) and the builder really went his own way, not following what everyone else seems to be doing. At least it was new and different.

Welcome to the forum. You'll surely get some ideas here to personalize your ride. If you are from Toledo it may be a while before you are quite ready to ride so you should have plenty of time to decide what's right for you. You might want to do at least a little riding before you start to do your mods to see what you like and dislike about the stock ride. Most of us on here have been doing the same O'l, same O'l. Maybe you can come up with some ideas that are new and fresh. I was reading Cycle World and saw some bikes from Europe (older bikes) and the builder really went his own way, not following what everyone else seems to be doing. At least it was new and different.

Mother of God is this bike fast :unworthy:

I took her out for about a half hour today, ground was dry and it was 36 degrees. Much too cold for me to ride but I couldn't help it. I did a second gear pull from about 35 mph to about 9.5k rpm and about shit myself. I thought my son in laws gsxr 600 was insane. The bike scares the crap out of me, I am definitely going to spend some time taking it easy and learning how to handle this kind of power. No performance mods just yet, it's got plenty!

I couldn't tell you how many times i've had headaches working with dealerships but these guys hooked me up awesome. Bike was 10x better than the pictures, they put brand new metzelers on it, fresh amsoil and a new battery free of charge.

Congrats on the bike. Sounds like you got a pretty decent deal. Those mods that you have planned should be fine with the exception of the air box mod. If you're referring to the other threads that you have seen on here they only apply to the Gen II bike. I don't think you need/want to mess with the stock air box. Only other thing I can think to add to your initial list of mods is a jet kit since the stock jetting is on the lean side even with the stock exhaust.

Cool, didn't know it was lean from the factory. If I jet it now am I going to have to rejet it again when I get a slip on? Thanks guys

Cool, didn't know it was lean from the factory. If I jet it now am I going to have to rejet it again when I get a slip on? Thanks guys

On the Gen I's a slip-on exhaust isn't going to give you a tremendous gain in power. It's mostly for cosmetic and sound purposes ;). From what I have seen most aftermarket jet kits for this bike are the same whether using the stock exhaust or a slip-on. However, I don't know if the tuning instructions are different between the two. If you're going to get a slip-on I would just wait to do the jet kit at the same time. While this bike is lean from factory it's by no means unrideable. Just might need to run the choke a little longer in the mornings...

The Air-Box mod is also common on the Gen 1... a good bit different from the mod on the Gen 2... but it should only be done after proper jetting....

if the bike has really never been touched, and is in stock trim... you should pull the carbs.. the first time I pulled mine, the air screws were set from the factory amazingly wrong.... I've worked on carbs that had never been opened, and found the rubber on the slides pinched in the caps... it's amazing the things that make it out of the factory without being glanced at.....

and while you've got the carbs out.. grab some jets.. some shims... a #32 drill bit... and have at it.
http://www.998cc.org/forum/5852-post5.html

The Air-Box mod is also common on the Gen 1... a good bit different from the mod on the Gen 2... but it should only be done after proper jetting....

if the bike has really never been touched, and is in stock trim... you should pull the carbs.. the first time I pulled mine, the air screws were set from the factory amazingly wrong.... I've worked on carbs that had never been opened, and found the rubber on the slides pinched in the caps... it's amazing the things that make it out of the factory without being glanced at.....

and while you've got the carbs out.. grab some jets.. some shims... a #32 drill bit... and have at it.
http://www.998cc.org/forum/5852-post5.html

Very detailed explanation, I read your tutorial and I also read Pat's site on the Ivan's kit. I'm gonna say this will probably be a shop job for me. I don't mind tackling bolt-ons or adjusting things, but when you are talking about drilling 4 different spots on the carb I am getting in over my head. Here's a question for you though, I read somewhere that someone repositioned the shims/washers on the stock needle in each carb. He took the bottom-most washer and placed it above the plastic clip. Is this going to be sufficient enough to richen up my mixture being totally stock? He said he gained a lot better performance in the low end of the spectrum and the bike started up much easier using hardly any choke. Now something like that, I can handle. I think when it's time for a slip on/full exhaust, I will purchase a jet kit and take it to the shop to have them install and dyno it. I'm eager to get some numbers on paper too just for shits and giggles. Anyway thanks for the info but I may steer clear of the carbs having no knowledge of them.

I have never drilled the carb bodies themselves. It always seemed like a bad idea to me and I've ridden bikes with that jet kit and let me tell you, they don't compare to mine in any way... don't be scared of working on the carbs... if you get up every morning and decide all by yourself what you're going to wear, and then tie your own shoes, you can work on your carbs.... it's really that easy.

Welcome to the group. I wish I could help with the mods but I take my bike to the stealership and usually get them to help me tie my shoes while I'm there.

Back