Picking up a Gen1 on Weds...

Barring anything coming up in the next couple of days, I'm picking up a 2001 Gen1 with 66k miles for $1200 on Wednesday from a riding buddy who grew bored of it after getting a new Super Tenere.

It's mechanically in excellent condition but cosmetically needs some work.. new fairing, paint, and some TLC (polish, cleaning, etc), tires and some carb work. He put in an Ivan's kit and it hasn't run right since, so I'm going to tear everything apart and go back through it. That failing I will put a new rack of carbs on it. Both ends of the bike have been redone by Traxxion and he has both a Sargent and Bill Mayer seat for it that he's including, along with other spare parts and a service manual.

I rode it and except for a stutter (caused by the carbs), it runs really nice and is more comfortable than my 2010 Z1000 that I let go a few months ago. I'm looking forward to fixing it up real nice and doing some asphalt touring on it.

Rob

Barring anything coming up in the next couple of days, I'm picking up a 2001 Gen1 with 66k miles for $1200 on Wednesday from a riding buddy who grew bored of it after getting a new Super Tenere.

It's mechanically in excellent condition but cosmetically needs some work.. new fairing, paint, and some TLC (polish, cleaning, etc), tires and some carb work. He put in an Ivan's kit and it hasn't run right since, so I'm going to tear everything apart and go back through it. That failing I will put a new rack of carbs on it. Both ends of the bike have been redone by Traxxion and he has both a Sargent and Bill Mayer seat for it that he's including, along with other spare parts and a service manual.

I rode it and except for a stutter (caused by the carbs), it runs really nice and is more comfortable than my 2010 Z1000 that I let go a few months ago. I'm looking forward to fixing it up real nice and doing some asphalt touring on it.

Rob

Great deal Rob! Congrats. Post some shots once you get her home. Oh, and welcome to the board!

Thanks! Here's a shot from when I rode it last night...

img_1401.jpg

It hadn't been started for six months and is pretty dirty. It's hard to see from this photo, but the fairing is tweaked, on the other side it's cracked at the signal and missing the "point" at the end of it (towards the back of the bike). The bracket under the fairing is bent which is why the fairing is tweaked.

It was stored outside for a few years so there's corrosion and some fading, but nothing I can't fix with a little work.

The valves were done 2000 miles ago (also about 6 mod ago). The carbs have an Ivan's kit in it but he didn't do it quite right I guess since he says it doesn't run nearly as well now as it did before. I figure I'll take a go at fixing the carbs before I give up and replace them.

Rob

Last edited:
And so starts the project! Congratulations. Looks like you have a solid platform and got it at a solid price. Keep us up to date on the evolutions!

It took a little longer than expected, but I finally picked it up last night (almost a week late).

The poor thing is still filthy just like in the photo I posted. I have to be out all day today on business and then take my mother in law to the airport tonight, so I don't think it'll get washed til tomorrow. But at least then I can start really detailing it.

I've already installed my GPS mount (Zumo 665). The previous owner (PO?) had a Nuvi mount on it with power hardwired, so I removed that and ran my power leads to his old ones. Took all of ten minutes.

The thing it needs most right now are tires. They have about 7k on them (Pilot Road 2's) and the rear one is worn flat in the center. I have to wait til next payday to get new ones though.

Rob

Congrats on finally picking it up! These things are very addictive. Just read my email from competition accessories and saw that the Pilot Road 3s are on sale for $300 for the set. TBH, I don't know if that's a good deal or not.

You can get PR2s and 3s cheaper through jakewilson.com.

I ended up with a set of used Pilot Power 2CTs for $100 from a local shop

Rob

I'll take a go at fixing the carbs before I give up and replace them.

Rob[/QUOTE]

Call Ivan, I messed up my ivanizing, but called him and told me exactly what to do. It worked perfectly! Ivan will fix you up

Back