people hating on the fz...

cancel my subscription I'm tired of your issues.

so i am curious how many of you go through this.. here in my area sportbikes are huge and we have a group ride every friday and saturday with about 50-60 people. I HAVE THE ONLY FZ1 AROUND..i get this alot now.\"nice sit-up bike\" \"thats not a real sportbike\" \"my zx10 or cbr1000 would smoke that\" \"naked bikes are ugly\" etc. lol i dont pay much attention but it does piss me off sometimes. makes me want to just blow them away but honestly i dont know if i could. but anyways anyone else got this issue?

From the other thread, "Don't hate me..." It must have really bothered him, the comments. But each to his own. The "ugly" 07 FZ will hopefully find a loving home. Replaced by a "real sport bike", Hayabusa. I must be easy to please, compared to those Kansas folks, because 150 horses of imaginary sport bike beneath me feels pretty good.
To all you "Real sportbike" people, point and laugh, and hate away, all you like. I'll wave, (all my fingers) when I pass you standing beside your bikes on the shoulder of the road. Masaging the feeling back into your wrists and stretching your aching shoulders and backs.:blowing_kisses:

The bloke I work with that suggested to me to buy the FZ1, used to race R1's in his early 20's (hes in his mid 30's too now). Cause at the time I was looking to buy another bike and wanted to buy a R1 or a YZF1000R, but they all said that at 37 I'm getting too old to ride those if I wanted to ride for more than an hour. And this is coming from a guy that still owns a 2001 R1. He heard about the FZ1 off an old race buddy that now sells bikes in Sydney, NSW (australia) because he sold his R1 to ride the FZ1 to work every day as his trip was 100miles each way, and said he never looked back after changing to the FZ1.
That basically sold me, oh and the fact that it still has the 5valve/cyl motor :)

Actually, this is how good it is to ride, I can work on my cars for a few hours bent over in the garage and end up with the sorest back. But when i bought the FZ1 I hadn't ridden for a few years and rode it 220km's (140miles) and took almost 4 hours to get home on it and did not ache at all when I got home!
Hats off to the FZ1!
Try that on an R1 in ya 40's!

Riders like my bike. Never had anyone say a thing negative about it because it looks great, I guess.

Mwilkins-

Where are you riding at in KS? I either get ignored by the HD guys...which doesnt surprise me, or I get "the nod" from the sportbike guys. Ive never had anybody want to go out and "test" my FZ1...but Im still looking forward to the day it does happen.:sinister:

Let me know if you want to ride some time...I live about 30 miles south of Junction City.

Justin

so i am curious how many of you go through this.. here in my area sportbikes are huge and we have a group ride every friday and saturday with about 50-60 people. I HAVE THE ONLY FZ1 AROUND..i get this alot now."nice sit-up bike" "thats not a real sportbike" "my zx10 or cbr1000 would smoke that" "naked bikes are ugly" etc. lol i dont pay much attention but it does piss me off sometimes. makes me want to just blow them away but honestly i dont know if i could. but anyways anyone else got this issue?

It's all about how you ride...they talk shit you tell them let's go ride a few hundred miles of twisties and see who's still having fun. I had q few squid bikes before the Fizzy and I can ride just as fast and be way more comfortable. That would be a challenge to me...

I'll throw my 2 pennies in.

I'm on the gixxer site and although the riders are a little younger, they are more mellow about other bikes than you would think. Some of the regulars are pretty heavy track day guys, and the preferred ride seems to be a 600/750 gixxer.

As far as respecting the FZ1, there's no way to argue with 150 hp (stock). I really like the R1 engine. Having said that, (and all things equal...meaning me) the gixxer is going to be a bit quicker in curves mostly because of the lowered bars and shorter wheelbase but my 750 is giving away almost 25 hp to the FZ so the FZ is going to pull away harder.

Me? I'm just working on doing either of these bikes justice by trying to be a better rider. Taking the Keith Code school again (the last time was in 92)

I really couldn't care less if someone felt the need to share their :2cents: - mostly, crap like that is just for fun anyway... take it as a joke, just like when I sad to my brother-in-law, hey, maybe I should invest in 200 lbs of chrome like yours has... :shaking head:

Of course, where I ride, in Houston, the few people I do talk to when I'm out on the scooter have nothing but great things to say about my FZ. I've never heard any disparaging remarks...

"yeah, I'm afraid of those real sportbikes!" and then leave 90% in the dust! LOL :cheers:

09 CBR 1000 Got Smoked!

so i am curious how many of you go through this.. here in my area sportbikes are huge and we have a group ride every friday and saturday with about 50-60 people. I HAVE THE ONLY FZ1 AROUND..i get this alot now."nice sit-up bike" "thats not a real sportbike" "my zx10 or cbr1000 would smoke that" "naked bikes are ugly" etc. lol i dont pay much attention but it does piss me off sometimes. makes me want to just blow them away but honestly i dont know if i could. but anyways anyone else got this issue?

I had that same problem I decided to put the guy on the spot, he was the one shooting his mouth off. He rides a 09 Honda CBR 1000, one weekend last year he was up at a local drag strip, so I told him put your money where your mouth is $500.00 to be exact. This guy has been doing track for years it was an ideal day he said ok I'll take your money! In the end he and his 09 Honda CBR 1000 got smoked by a 40+ year old on a 2003 FZ1 SPRC CARBURATED LITER BIKE! Life is great and the 500 bucks bought new tires for my baby which I will enjoy scrubbing this summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go anywhere in south new mexico and ask about a silver Fz1 they will all say the samething.(Don't race it)I have them all scared now that I have called alot of people out that were braging.

Sport bikes are good at what they do...usually, and not much else.

the fz suits me cause im 43 and dont want to require wrist and back sugery.

dont get me wrong, i like sportbikes. Just not being in the saddle of one for more than 2 hours at a time.

to me the fz is not pretentious, and i dont feel required to go fast all of the time, and dont need to wind the damn motor to red line to feel a pull either, mind you theres nothing wrong with that.

i wave to everyone, folks who put others down to make themselves feel better usually have issues. when i see a fellow rider, i see someone that shares a common interest, its not just about what they ride.

you should find riders that are more focused on riding and sharing the expirence with others...

i tell folks, its a sport tourer, with the empashis on sport.

If you go anywhere in south new mexico and ask about a silver Fz1 they will all say the samething.(Don't race it)I have them all scared now that I have called alot of people out that were braging.

Great, that might improve my chances to stay under the radar.....a little fast pass, thinking you are coming here to Albuquerque, your reputation will proceed ya.....

Yup. If we can teach our fellow FZ1 riders that our bike is NOT a tour bike, or a sport tour bike, or any other type of geezer label, BUT A FREAKIN STREET FIGHTER, the bike will get due respect.

The respect it already earned in euro, several times over.

I have gotten similar remarks but they are made by people that have not ridden with me. I'm no amazing awesome crazy good rider but I am not unskilled. I do know some things. The people I ride with know I can ride, but, I need a lot of improvement. I know this as well. Most of the people that say crap like that say "I want to get a real sport bike. Why didn't you get a crotch rocket instead of that?" Excuse me? Ok... Ride this bad boy and then eat your own words. People look at the overall size of it and then question it's abilities. These are of course people that, once upon a time, had a bike and rode it commuting and really have no skill and should have no say in riding.

I think they all have penis envy. Congratulations to you for not buying a "me too" sport bike. Congrats for stepping out on your own.

All of my friends have Harleys. Tell your buds the same thing I tell mine, "I don't mind you guys riding with me". Or in the case of all my cruiser friends, "I'll go slow so you can keep up".

I think they all have penis envy. Congratulations to you for not buying a "me too" sport bike. Congrats for stepping out on your own.

All of my friends have Harleys. Tell your buds the same thing I tell mine, "I don't mind you guys riding with me". Or in the case of all my cruiser friends, "I'll go slow so you can keep up".

That's easy........you just have to keep it in 1st gear........

Sport bikes are good at what they do...usually, and not much else.

the fz suits me cause im 43 and dont want to require wrist and back sugery.

dont get me wrong, i like sportbikes. Just not being in the saddle of one for more than 2 hours at a time.

to me the fz is not pretentious, and i dont feel required to go fast all of the time, and dont need to wind the damn motor to red line to feel a pull either, mind you theres nothing wrong with that.

i wave to everyone, folks who put others down to make themselves feel better usually have issues. when i see a fellow rider, i see someone that shares a common interest, its not just about what they ride.

you should find riders that are more focused on riding and sharing the expirence with others...

i tell folks, its a sport tourer, with the empashis on sport.

Yeah it always amazes me how people tell you what you should be or what you should have. Your money your business. All I know is that my FZ is an awesome motorcycle.

My FZ1 does get hated on...

Upright bikes catch crap from just about everyone that doesn't own one, but most guys also don't ride every day. I commute a little over 100 miles a day on my FZ1. I'm just shy of 8,000 miles and bought it with .3 mi in October! Some guys have to impress, though, no matter how uncomfortable. My buddy at work is a newer rider (like myself) and already wrecked on the freeway on a Gixxer after only a few weeks of commuting. I ride fast but safe and am always trying to make people aware of me and hear me... there isn't any ego about it. The bike kinda has that same personality.

Plus, the bike is dead sexy, so I don't know how people think its ugly!

Back