people hating on the fz...

Hi mate

im new to this so a big hello.

reading your post and i have to say that ive had sportsbikes and the wife was uncomfortable on it ,i was uncomfortable on it,the fz1 far out does them on handling in my opinion and power is a match for most bikes anyway,the only reason to have an all out sportsbike is to go on the track which they are designed for or to pose because they are vain,go with what makes you happy and balls to the girlyboys who darent go beyond the looks.

regards

The FZ1 IS whatever you use it for like any bike. Some people do not get full use of the capabilities of their bike. That is fine with me as they deserve to have a bike they are attracted to whether they get everything out of it or not. Some get way more than was intended from their bikes particular design. My hat is off to their talent. As long as YOU are getting out of it whatever you are passionate about I am behind you 100%.

These arguments are just silly to me. The point is moot. I say find another group to ride with as these chaps seem immature. Most of the folks I ride with at Motohouston.com leg hump my FZ1. There are some incredibly talented people in that group and they would never dis any bike.

In fact they go through extra trouble to include even cruisers in our group rides. All of our group rides are split in to 3 groups: beginner, intermediate and advanced. Each group with a leader and a sweeper. All newbies and new to the group must do beginner group. Most cruisers also do beginner but some actually do interemediate no problem. Intermediate is for experienced riders and those that have done the beginner group on a few occasions. The advanced group are all track day folks that rarely get under 100mph.

Our group rides are usually a bike love fest with everyone being capable of admiring the unique features of the other riders bikes whether it is their particular cup of tea or not.

Last edited:
Most sportsbike riders who have been around a bit probably secretly wish they had the bottle to buy an FZ rather than give in to peer pressure and buy 'another' sportbike. Loads of mates on R1s, Blades etc. have admitted they wish they had bought a Fazer thou OR think it might be the 'next bike'. Unfortunately mine is bigger than yours (penis envy) gets the better of most riders at point of purchase, which leaves the rest of us with a great bike (and happy with our manhood!):stirpot:

As to getting smoked, dream on, in a straight line only unless the rider is fekin exceptional. Only one or two riders get away from my FZ, they are either very quick/smooth riders, or take too many chances that I am not perpared to take.

After owning many a sports mount I can honestly say I am quicker point to point on the FZ as its more usable. There are very, very few riders out there that can use a thou sports bike in anger.....600s dont count in my view as they just need to be worked far to hard to be relative to road riding, they belong on a track where wringing their neck can be fun. Just too tiresome after a while on the road.

Yeah the funny part is you take them out of the bar, put them on the track and odds are they will crash by session 2 or 3.

My little FZ6 sure put the hurt on a lot of SUPERBIKES on the track...hummm...:Rockon:

After getting ribbed relentlessly at work by the "Harley guy", I jokingly told him that him that he was jealous of my FZ1. He went ballistic and started asking me why in the world he would be jealous of "that thing". I told him because it does nearly everything better: it runs faster, stops faster, turns sharper, & is far more dependable than his Harley---at less than half the price. I was laughing the whole time but he still had his panties in a wad. Go figure.

Marketing

With Harley it is all about "tradition", And MARKETING ! They have spent piles of money over many years selling the idea that if it is made by Americans for Americans that it is patriotic to buy one, and therefore unpatriotic to buy something from Japan or anywhere else. I can almost see this when sold to Americans, but it is rediculous when it comes from a Canadian. Here they are both imports. Harley owners that I personally know, bought them for the image that goes with owning a Harley. And if that makes them happy I have nothing against that. It does not follow that they should bad mouth all other brands as "Junk". When I look at a Harley I can appreciate some of the workmanship, paint quality, etc. But technologically they don't measure up to "state of the art" sportbikes, including the FZ 1. It is great to be loyal to a brand that has worked well for you for whatever reason. It should not follow that you then, put down what others ride for that very same reason. If all other bikes were junk then the companies would not still be in business, especially in this "age of information and connectivity". Different stokes....

Enjoy your bike for what it is something you love. You won't get anyone on this site to say the FZ isn't a beautiful bike but different strokes for different folks. It would be a pretty boring world if we all drove the same cars or motorcycles. Too me as long as it is two wheels I can appreciate it. But it is only the FZ and few more that I really crave to own.

With Harley it is all about \"tradition\", And MARKETING ! They have spent piles of money over many years selling the idea that if it is made by Americans for Americans that it is patriotic to buy one, and therefore unpatriotic to buy something from Japan or anywhere else. I can almost see this when sold to Americans, but it is rediculous when it comes from a Canadian. Here they are both imports. Harley owners that I personally know, bought them for the image that goes with owning a Harley. And if that makes them happy I have nothing against that. It does not follow that they should bad mouth all other brands as \"Junk\". When I look at a Harley I can appreciate some of the workmanship, paint quality, etc. But technologically they don't measure up to \"state of the art\" sportbikes, including the FZ 1. It is great to be loyal to a brand that has worked well for you for whatever reason. It should not follow that you then, put down what others ride for that very same reason. If all other bikes were junk then the companies would not still be in business, especially in this \"age of information and connectivity\". Different stokes....

I might be straying a little off topic but this is something that is one of those subjects that always irritates me. In all my time riding I've never been disrespected by anyone on any type of bike other than Harley riders. I don't even bother counting the times I've pulled into a gas station, said hello to a group of wannabes with the perfectly trimmed five o'clock shadows and little ponytails and they sneer and make a point of turning away. It's really such a cliche it doesn't even upset me. I've gotten into pretty lengthy conversations during restaruant and gas stops with other riders and everyone wants to share their riding stories or a great route in the local area. And to be fair some of them were Harley riders, one group were even Hell's Angels. I'm not sure about the endorsement but the Hell's Angels all liked the FZ1 too.

Back to the original post though, I think it's all in the level of maturity of the other person. It doesn't matter what you ride as much as that you ride.

When you reach a point in life where you ride a bike that you bought to please yourself, and not others, you won't give a rat's ass what other think. You'll just revel in your bike, and what it does for you when it's just you and her out on a nice strip of curving road with you.

I passed that point recently, and I have to say, it's a marvelous place to be. Anyone who "hates" on my bike? Their problem, not mine, and as far as I know, they don't exist.

DITTO Well said. In fact I am complemented on a nearly daily basis. She's my main ride. And I'm astonished the amount of interest this bike get's everywhere

When you reach a point in life where you ride a bike that you bought to please yourself, and not others, you won't give a rat's ass what other think. You'll just revel in your bike, and what it does for you when it's just you and her out on a nice strip of curving road with you.

I passed that point recently, and I have to say, it's a marvelous place to be. Anyone who \"hates\" on my bike? Their problem, not mine, and as far as I know, they don't exist.

Truly a mantra to live by. :Rockon: I passed that a long time ago... actually, I'm a guy who almost never gave a hoot what someone else thought of me and my choices.

I take life like this: I live to please me, Eric, myself first. Each choice is clearly based on one thought... "Will this make me a better person?" If I am happy with Eric, then I believe people with whom I have contact with in life will also be happy with Eric.

People who think less of me because of my choice in auto manufacturer, motorcycle, clothes, etc? They do not matter to me.

I just cant imagine anyone "hating" on either the FZ-6 or the FZ-1. I've been riding a while and have NEVER heard anything bad about the bike(s). If its bashed on, it's a general hate of "Jap crap", or someone with a chip on their shoulder about motorcycles in general, but that rarely happens. I'm just having a hard time believing that somewhere there's enough people hating on the FZ's enough to even start this thread! :poke:

Prairies

I just cant imagine anyone \"hating\" on either the FZ-6 or the FZ-1. I've been riding a while and have NEVER heard anything bad about the bike(s). If its bashed on, it's a general hate of \"Jap crap\", or someone with a chip on their shoulder about motorcycles in general, but that rarely happens. I'm just having a hard time believing that somewhere there's enough people hating on the FZ's enough to even start this thread! :poke:

Apparently we should avoid Kansas if we ride FZ's as they are too hard core squids !:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

I have a buddy thats a Harley rider and hes always asking me y i ride the jap stuff and not a harley and i turn to him and ask him when have i ever complained about stuff vibrating off my bike or expensive maintenance or oil puddles in my drive? He answers never and i say well there is your answer buddy. He gets mad every time i shut him down lol :poke:

Plus does anyone else get the question Is that a 600 and then is porceeded by laughing can't really understand that one

I was at the Vortex in Atlanta last night on the 06 Kenny Roberts FZ1 and even the Harley guys were complimenting it. One guy was wearing a shirt that said "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what actually learning to ride would do". Cracked me up... soo true.

Hope this helps.

Alright I'm going to throw my two cents in but I'm a bit hesitant for fear off this already being said. ( only read the first page, sorry).

Don't be concerned with keeping up with litre world champion supersport bikes.

Let me make you feel better about your purchase with the FZ1.

The first rule when deciding what bike to purchase regardless of skill level is:

What kind of rider are you?

Although I don't know what kind of rider you are, I do know what bike you chose to buy. You chose to buy yamaha's bastard twin son of the R1. The bike that supersport squids talk shit about because it can't break the sound barrier. The bike that lower riders point and laugh at with their alcoholic wives because it doesn't have ape handlebars.

Yet through all the shit talking you need to realize that you are FREE. Your bike isn't predetermined and predestined to perform a certain way. With minor modifications you can make the bike faster, slower, taller or shorter. Just like you, the bike is what you make it to be.

YOU choose to go against the conformity of FOTMs. Those of us that ride the off brands know that we are true bike riders. We desire only to be on two wheels and be on the open rode. We do not choose to buy a bike because all of our friends have the same one.

(Although my point is somewhat unclear, I blame it on the fact that I have been drinking. )

On behalf of myself and all the riders in my family I Tip my hat to you for keeping the traditions and purpose of motorcycle riding alive.

Thank you.

I Ride: 2007 Suzuki Katana 750
Brother Rides: 02 FZ1 First Gen
Sister Rides: 06 Suzuki blvd 650cc

Last edited:
Living in Florida, there are tons of bike nites every day of the week. Used to go quite a bit and I always noticed I usually was the only one with an FZ1 and got a lot of positive comments and looks at my bike, while on the other hand my wife who rides a gsxr1000 never got any comments about her bike because there were a hundred or so other gsxrs in the parking lot, if you have seen one you have seen them all. I suspect the guys who ride the bikes making the comments couldn't ride all day long and not have neck, back, wrist and arm pains. Laying forward on your upper body gets old quick especially if your not on the interstate with the wind holding you up. Ever wonder why you see guys riding with one hand on the bar and an elbow on the tank - its cause they are tired and it is uncomfortable. My 2cents.

I agree with those that suggest finding a different group.
The first local group I tried was "open" to all brands, but only had Harley riders. Looked like a bunch of lawyers and accountants who left their teenage kids at home shaking their heads and rolling their eyes. All the bikes were $25,000 plus, no piece of clothing on any of them didn't advertise for Harley. They wore wraparound sunglasses and stared into the distance like GW Bush on an aircraft carrier. I'm not exaggerating - when I walked up and said hello, they would not look at me or speak to me.
The second local group had all kinds of bikes, including Harleys. Everyone was nice and went out of their way to be nice about everyone else's bikes. We stopped for food and had a great time talking, laughing. I didn't spot a bloated ego in the bunch.

You never know what you're going to find.

Back