Peg scraping...

schot1984

At 300 lbs (down from 340 late 2010), I have the preload fully cranked on the rear and front of the bike.

I've scraped both the right and left side peg feelers while out tearing up the twisties...

How risky is this with the stock spring-loaded pegs? Obviously better riding position (hanging to side more) while turning would help, but any other tips?

Don't say losing more weight, because I'm working on it. As far as new suspension parts, going to wait on that as well because I'm still losing.

You can remove the feelers. You are going to have to be really aware touching down to hard you could catch a peg or if you have a side stand with out the feelers it may touch as well with out for warning. Be careful until you can address the issue properly.

Upgrade the suspension. At the very least, for the front, replace the fork oil with a heavier weight oil. Have a look at Aaron's homework thread and set the suspension as proper as possible. As Johnny stated, you can remove the feelers. You should also work on getting off the seat a lot further to keep the bike more upright through the turns. That alone will prevent touchdowns. If you scrape, you just need to get more of you hanging off the bike. What do they say at the track? Kiss yourself in the mirror. :D

I replaced the feelers with bolts, and went through so many I just slapped in some dome heads and called it a day. I've ground a bit of the peg away as well, and used to spend a lot of time with the peg on the deck. I've never had any trouble at any time with the peg even feeling like it was going to fail to fold up. Possible, but not all that likely is how I'd put it.

The exhaust on the other hand can lift the back wheel off the deck which is a little disconcerting to say the least. Did this on a ZR7, and I don't much care for it...lol.

You've nailed the problem though. As soon as I changed rear shock I scraped very seldom. When I lost some weight I scraped even less. If I do my forks I'll be better off again.

Another cheap-ish option is an offset plate for your rearsets. You can buy them (but over here -as with everthing else- the dealerships are trying to get rich off of every transaction) or make your own. They're not complicated.

View attachment 6073

This will gain you a little more clearence.

Well, I'm only 156lbs and removed the peg feelers on day one. I have a Penske shock at the max recommended length and if I don't use good form, I scrape the pegs.

Back