PCV maps recommendations?

Over the past few weeks I have been experimenting with different PC maps and I am having a tough time finding one that fits/feels best. I started off by downloading the Duke's Map bundle and have been through all the maps, but still am unsure. I am pretty much a rookie when it comes to using a PC, so any help would be appreciated. I currently have the following mods:

- Two Bros Slip On
- Roth Smog Plates
- K&N Filter
- CD Sub-Throttle Plates
- Modified Air Box
- Cat Gut

I was hoping to find a base map that I could work from and experiment further on my own. Most maps that I have found account for Ivan's FCE and this seems like it would be a major factor in the overall setup. Are there any recommendations on how to figure PC maps out (without going straight to a dyno)?

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you, very similar set up. I don't want to spend the money for a FCE, I don't see a need for it on my 09.

I have gone through all the maps but haven't been completely satisfied with one map yet. Your not supposed to take a carbon fiber slip on to a dyno because it can mess them up according to Two Brothers. So my plan is to buy a wideband air/fuel sensor and gauge to help me make my own maps, I just need to find some money.

How on earth can a dyno session mess up a carbon can??? If that is the case TBR needs to redesign their cans. Don't bother with the Auto Tune, just get your bike dyno tuned by a good tuner; it's the simplest, quickest, and most cost effective way to a good tune.

How on earth can a dyno session mess up a carbon can??? If that is the case TBR needs to redesign their cans. Don't bother with the Auto Tune, just get your bike dyno tuned by a good tuner; it's the simplest, quickest, and most cost effective way to a good tune.

Yes, having your bike custom tune is definitely the way to go if you can afford it and can find a good tuner in your area. LoneStarRider and mld85 I would try the smoothed Stage III map from Duke's...

Thanks NJFZ1. That is actually the map I uploaded this morning for the drive to work. I have been trying to coordinate the switches with a new tank of gas to see if it makes a difference also.

@Hellgate - where are you abouts in Austin?

Just happen to be droppin my 09 off for tuning today @ Tudor's Performance in Corona CA.

TBR Ti Slip on, Air box mod, PCV, B&M Air filter, velocity stacks.

I'll keep ya all posted. As of now I've just been using a map that was close to what I have from PC.

I've never heard of a non-tuned bike ruining a CF slip-on.

Here is what the FAQ at Two Bros says about the FI bikes:

Two Brothers Racing said:
My bike is fuel injected, do I need to make any adjustments or chip changes?

Generally fuel injected bikes automatically compensate for exhaust and engine related modifications very well. Unless you are building a Superbike motor with over 30% horsepower increases, your stock FI system should work just fine with your new exhaust system and you will reap the benefits immediately. We have however found that with the addition of either a Juice Box™ or a Power Commander with the proper map, the ride-ability of the bike will improve greatly over that of the stock bike and there can be additional performance gains to be had. We carry our own signature Juice Box Fuel Controller and Dynojet Power Commanders for most fuel injected bikes and we can also furnish it with a map just for your machine and our pipe.

Thanks NJFZ1. That is actually the map I uploaded this morning for the drive to work. I have been trying to coordinate the switches with a new tank of gas to see if it makes a difference also.

@Hellgate - where are you abouts in Austin?

360 and 2222, work downtown in the Capital area complex.

The documentation that came with my Yoshimura TRC carbon fiber exhaust says the same thing. It indicates that if you do not repack the exhaust every 5k miles or if you run the bike on a dyno, you basically void your warranty as the protective finish on the carbon fiber is not made to withstand the excess heat of worn out packing or sitting still on a dyno and running WOT. All of that being said, I'm sure they are being overcautious and saying this as a "cover their ass" kind of thing, also they make a few extra bucks every time they sell you a repacking kit. In the end, it isn't like they would be able to prove that you ran your bike on a dyno. However, if some poor sap calls them and openly says "Hey I just ran my bike on the dyno for 3 hours and now the finish on my carbon fiber exhaust is messed up!" they can say "Well you should have read the documentation that came with your exhaust!".

The documentation that came with my Yoshimura TRC carbon fiber exhaust says the same thing. It indicates that if you do not repack the exhaust every 5k miles or if you run the bike on a dyno, you basically void your warranty as the protective finish on the carbon fiber is not made to withstand the excess heat of worn out packing or sitting still on a dyno and running WOT. All of that being said, I'm sure they are being overcautious and saying this as a "cover their ass" kind of thing, also they make a few extra bucks every time they sell you a repacking kit. In the end, it isn't like they would be able to prove that you ran your bike on a dyno. However, if some poor sap calls them and openly says "Hey I just ran my bike on the dyno for 3 hours and now the finish on my carbon fiber exhaust is messed up!" they can say "Well you should have read the documentation that came with your exhaust!".

Odd, well I'm glad I have an Akrapovic then, no such warning...

And glad I got the Titanium 2Bros... :D

A good dyno has several fans blowing all over the bike to keep it at operating temps, does it not?

Odd, well I'm glad I have an Akrapovic then, no such warning...

The point I was getting at is that the risk (which is probably next to nil in reality) is probably about equal with any of the major manufacturers rather or not they put it on paper. I'm sure there are many with two-brothers, yoshi, etc. that have done dyno runs without a problem. ANY exhaust that uses some sort of packing, carbon-fiber exterior or not, will need to be repacked at some point to maintain the original sound control and lower external temperatures on the muffler. I suspect that many folks are not even aware that they are advised to repack their mufflers and ride their bike tens of thousands of miles without ill effect. I tend to catch details like this because I am one of the rare males that actually LIKES reading instruction manuals rather or not I need their assistance in assembling or using something.
To FZ1inNH, even if I have to repack the muffler more often being carbon fiber vs. Titanium or Stainless it is well worth it to me for the saved weight and better looks (in my opinion). I don't like the thought of a big shiny muffler on the side of my black/dark grey bike :D

We should catch up and ride sometime. I'm out by Lake Travis and work off South Congress.

Sounds like fun. We've got a large number of Austin riders here, we should have lunch and go for a spin. I went out with a few guys from the other board a few weeks ago and have a fun time. We rode out Fitzhugh (sp?) road.

To FZ1inNH, even if I have to repack the muffler more often being carbon fiber vs. Titanium or Stainless it is well worth it to me for the saved weight and better looks (in my opinion). I don't like the thought of a big shiny muffler on the side of my black/dark grey bike :D

Of course it is personal touch. ;)

But, you should know that the CF 2 Bros only weights .3 oz less than the titanium slip-on. It is the SS can that weighs 8.3 ozs more than both the CF and Titanium. Because the titanium is so much stronger, they can use nearly 1/3rd the thickness of the SS can. (.060 for SS vs. .024 for titanium). :tup: I just happen to like the looks of the titanium because it doesn't hide in the bike, weighs the same as the CF can and cost me a lot less money. Again, personal tastes, that's all.

Well I picked up da bike today from Tudor's Performace and this is what I got.
129.11 HP and 66.45 flbs
album.php

Back