pcv map and mod question

PatSully

hey all,

I picked up a BMC air filter and a set of Ivans throttle plates, I'm going to put them on this weekend maybe. I have an Akropovic slip on and a PCV, and no other performance mods.

I am not sure i want to guy the cat or the air box mod. I kind of like the semi quite sound it has now. I am saying that compared to my SV with a full system and a gutted air filter, that thing is just plain stupid loud.

My question is do I need to gut the cat and cut the air box to get any performance from the filter and sub throttle plates? If I do, i would be in the "stage 3" PCV map area. If I don't am I in the "stage 2" range?

I don't want to pay for a custom map since I would like to get a header down the road, then i would almost have to cut the air box though.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Pat

I think you should definitely gut the cat and do the Lars air box mod. I've only ridden my bike without the cat as that is how I got it, but I can definitely confirm that you will notice a positive performance increase with the air box mod. It sounds like you're in the stage 2 range right now. My performance mods are a Yoshi TRC slip on, gutted cat, Lars air box mod, and Graves stacks. I've tried all the maps in Duke's map pack, and the Stage 3 JonDaddy82 map gives me the snappiest and quickest throttle response.

I just install my reprogrammed ECM from Ivan (do a search on Ivan performance) and he suggested I leave the air box stock but install an aftermarket air filter. He sad the performance gins are minimal but the noise level can get annoying. He also suggested I gut my cat which I did a couple of days ago. I didn't notice much of a noise increase and I'm running a slip one.

If you plan on getting a set of headers down the road, don't gut the cat, it will be a waist of time. You will be better off waiting until you have the headers and then getting the PCV dyno-tuned to your bike. This way if you ever end up deciding to sell the bike, you can put all the stock items back on, remove the PCV & sell the PCV, headers and slip on separately & make a few extra coins in the process.

Also (depending on where you live) if you need to take the bike through the Dept Motor Vehicles you can put all the stock gear on & get it through no worries.

just my $0.02

If you plan on getting a set of headers down the road, don't gut the cat, it will be a waist of time. You will be better off waiting until you have the headers and then getting the PCV dyno-tuned to your bike. This way if you ever end up deciding to sell the bike, you can put all the stock items back on, remove the PCV & sell the PCV, headers and slip on separately & make a few extra coins in the process.

Also (depending on where you live) if you need to take the bike through the Dept Motor Vehicles you can put all the stock gear on & get it through no worries.

just my $0.02

Excellent advice Dicko. That's exactly what I did, if the EPA ever decides to test our bikes I'll be able to put it all back to stock.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Get the headers. I got a full Yoshi and until I can put my flashed ECU in, that it the biggest improvement I've done. Heaps more mid range with the Yoshi System, pulls 2nd gear wheelies with std gearing off the throttle. Can't wait to see how it feels with Ivan's Flash. Also I can revert to standard if someone puts a defect sticker on it. Running standard air box with a K & N air filter(not recommended fitment issues) Copperdawgs Modded Flies.

thanks a lot everyone

I think I will hold odd on gutting the cat and the air box for now.

interesting that there isn't much advantage with a modified air box, but I do recall reading something about that. something about how the air has to change direction which tosses it around.

I will let you know how i like it after this weekend. (if it isnt too dang hot)

Pat

Back