PCIII or PCV

Hi all,

I have a 2009 FZ1N (Aussie model). I am looking to purchase a Power Commander to compliment my other mods. I have a slight dilemma however:

The Bike model is February 2009 (not first registration date - that was February 2010), but the manufacture date is Aug 2008.

So for the sake of the Power Commander - do I order the PCIII for 2008 and older or PCV for 2009 onwards?
:confused0024:

Hi all,

I have a 2009 FZ1N (Aussie model). I am looking to purchase a Power Commander to compliment my other mods. I have a slight dilemma however:

The Bike model is February 2009 (not first registration date - that was February 2010), but the manufacture date is Aug 2008.

So for the sake of the Power Commander - do I order the PCIII for 2008 and older or PCV for 2009 onwards?

Both of them will work on the bike but I would buy a PCV as it's smaller and a newer model and you can now buy the IM for it.

I have a PCIII on the FZ1 and had a PCV on my Speedmaster. I didn't and don't have any of the add-on modules so I can't comment on that aspect. As already said the PCV is quite a bit smaller although on the FZ1 there's really only one place to put it (under the rider's seat) and the PCIII fits there fine. I do believe the PCV also added an additional % throttle opening in the fueling tables if I remember correctly. In any event, I think either one will help you re-define your fueling to get a better running bike.

PcV is smaller and on a single piece has the functions of PcIII complete set(3 pieces and a lot of cables). More have the autotuning function that PcIII haven't. PcV is indicated for last fz1 models because the new bikes comes with a different inj map and the dynojet fz1 map is build for that. But the standard dyno maps are not the optimal choice: so buy a PcV and do your personal maps from the dealer..will fit perfect on your bike and you will chose all the parameters in line with your ride's style and the type of bike's use..is the best thing to do!

PcV is smaller and on a single piece has the functions of PcIII complete set(3 pieces and a lot of cables). More have the autotuning function that PcIII haven't. PcV is indicated for last fz1 models because the new bikes comes with a different inj map and the dynojet fz1 map is build for that. But the standard dyno maps are not the optimal choice: so buy a PcV and do your personal maps from the dealer..will fit perfect on your bike and you will chose all the parameters in line with your ride's style and the type of bike's use..is the best thing to do!
???
There is no built in ignition control on the PCV so you would still need an ignition module to control those parameters. The Autotune setup, at least as applied to the FZ1, has been reported to produce very poor and erratic results. Any map from the PCIII can be applied to the PCV and vice versa by simply adding or removing the extra column of data. . . .Basically, there is now no reason to choose the III over the V (previously the Ignition module was only available for the III) so the V is the newer smaller choice. That said, there isn't much useful advantage to the newer product. . . .Lonerider, either unit (including ignition module), will fit nicely in the space where the EXUP motor used to be if you remove it when you install a slip on or full exhaust system.

???
There is no built in ignition control on the PCV so you would still need an ignition module to control those parameters. The Autotune setup, at least as applied to the FZ1, has been reported to produce very poor and erratic results. Any map from the PCIII can be applied to the PCV and vice versa by simply adding or removing the extra column of data. . . .Basically, there is now no reason to choose the III over the V (previously the Ignition module was only available for the III) so the V is the newer smaller choice. That said, there isn't much useful advantage to the newer product. . . .Lonerider, either unit (including ignition module), will fit nicely in the space where the EXUP motor used to be if you remove it when you install a slip on or full exhaust system.

I'm sorry but my english is very basically and I don't understand the objection: I fit another inj mod mark but the race team that I trained was Pc user and when changed from III to V the dyno's technical show us all the difference: a single module with all the functions that III has on complete set(multi switchable maps,shiftgear,injection,anticipation ecc)more the independent gestion of 8 injectors(not necessary on fz1)and the autotuning mode:
with this function you can make the map build on dyno board perfect: on the board the bike is on a static position and never breath the air like riding..with the autotune function you can modify the map that you want use and make it perfect for the situation that you are finding in that moment. Think at a very different air pressure and temperature respect the parameters of the map creation's day(electronic injection can adapting alone on a litte range): few km with the autotune and you can have the best engine expression with the map that you want to use. All the teams are working with this function today.
The miss understand of PcV doesn't work on 06/08 born directly from dynojet:when you look at the product's catalogue,you read that PcV fit only on 2010(or 2009 I don't remember)fz1 but is only for the dyno dedicate map that consider the differences of the stock inj parameters,little bit different from old fz1 models.But as you write all the maps of PcIII works on PcV so there are no reasons to prefer the old model..

maybe I understand! New gen inj modules like PcV have the autotune mode: but use it is not simple like push a button.. The module need to be integrate with a kit(module+sensors)that will remove after the autotuning operation. Usually only the dealers have this kit(quite expensive)and sales the single operation to who need it. But without the autotune mode in the PcV is not possible do it..

maybe I understand! New gen inj modules like PcV have the autotune mode: but use it is not simple like push a button.. The module need to be integrate with a kit(module+sensors)that will remove after the autotuning operation. Usually only the dealers have this kit(quite expensive)and sales the single operation to who need it. But without the autotune mode in the PcV is not possible do it..

No auto tune is a seperate module that can be added to a PCV. It's not too expensive, $300. It doesn't work well either.

Now that ignition modules are available for the PCV, the PCV is the better option.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

thanks Hellgate..was what I tried to say: autotune kit is a separate stuff but works only with PcV that have the modality autotune integrate

Hi maestrolb I faced exactly the same dilema with my 2008 FZ1S. I ended up going with the PCIII cos that was what was recommended for the model by PC and I am very happy with the result. If I were to do it again though, I would probably go with the PCV. This is because I am now more comfortable with how the PC works and that it is known that the PCV is compatable with the 2008 model.

Whichever way you go I would recommend having the PC dynotuned for your bike with the mods you have on it. Extra $$$$$ but well worth the expense.

With the PCIII it puts out more power than I will ever use but the big improvement for me was the better fuelling and much smoother throttle response, especially from a low or closed throttle.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm sorry but my english is very basically and I don't understand the objection: I fit another inj mod mark but the race team that I trained was Pc user and when changed from III to V the dyno's technical show us all the difference: a single module with all the functions that III has on complete set(multi switchable maps,shiftgear,injection,anticipation ecc)more the independent gestion of 8 injectors(not necessary on fz1)and the autotuning mode:
with this function you can make the map build on dyno board perfect: on the board the bike is on a static position and never breath the air like riding..with the autotune function you can modify the map that you want use and make it perfect for the situation that you are finding in that moment. Think at a very different air pressure and temperature respect the parameters of the map creation's day(electronic injection can adapting alone on a litte range): few km with the autotune and you can have the best engine expression with the map that you want to use. All the teams are working with this function today.
The miss understand of PcV doesn't work on 06/08 born directly from dynojet:when you look at the product's catalogue,you read that PcV fit only on 2010(or 2009 I don't remember)fz1 but is only for the dyno dedicate map that consider the differences of the stock inj parameters,little bit different from old fz1 models.But as you write all the maps of PcIII works on PcV so there are no reasons to prefer the old model..

At this point (now that the ignition module is available for the PCV) unless you get a good deal on a used or new PCIII, the PCV makes more sense. As I have mentioned, however, (at least for the FZ1 application) there is very little difference in practical performance results between the 2 units. Yes you could have switchable mapping on the fly and yes you could individually map each injector but for the typical street user these features are not put into use. Is anyone going to pay for the dyno time for individual cylinder mapping on their street bike? If so, how much hidden power is really to be gained? Perhaps a different map for each gear would be useful but again it probably more sophistication than is typically required. Maybe an economy map for top gear?

Ivan has purchased a PCV and its new ignition module to see if any additional gear based power reduction (power is reduced in the first 3? gears) can be removed with the new unit. He hasn't yet reported the results.

Autotune? As mentioned it really doesn't seem to work very well, at least in the FZ1 (R1 too) applications. Here's a thread to read if you are interested
PC-V + AutoTune - FZ1OA Message Board

Last edited:
I'm totally agree with you..the new gen inj modules are thinked to do the max expression on track,helping the local team that use bikes close to serie's product..think at the antispin/antiweeling or best at the pit speed limitator..but desired the last model of an electronical stuff is a ''perversion''that a lot of owners need to saddiesfy;-)
on 2010 summer I saw that the engine perform was little dirty respect springs: on saturday afternoon untilll 40C(104F)with 85%humidity:-( vs the 20/25C with 65%h of a springs afternoon.
Talking with my technical about that he sad''lets try the autotuning''(modality present on Rb3 from 2 or 3 years bedford Pc). On a very hot saturday afternoon,he put the kit on my bike and sad to me to ride my typicals roads,using all the gears and the larger rpm range possible.The bike works absolutly better than before.. This is my personal experience but I assure you that on italian super sport championship(my owners rides here)on free practice runs,more than an half of bikes fits the autotune kit to try everything to be ready for the race..
I came from 2stroke and carburettor and I'm very afraid for that epoc end:-( at the beginning I was very sceptic about electronic on bikes,I thought that the rider must ride without helps that don't show who is good and who's not..but learning how those stuff works,I became an electronic's fan! Those stuffs are fantastics with an enormous number of application..If I look at 1970/80 bikes epoc I'm so happy to ride on this bike's moment! Whe are so lucky! Chassis,suspensions,brakes,tires and now electronic! It's amazing!

Hi all and thanks for all your feedback and suggestions.

The chaps from Dynojet contacted me and advised to purchase the PCV as there was no change between the 2008 / 2009 models of the FZ1. It is simply the fact that the PCV was introduced in 2009 that it is classified in their catalogs as 2009 onwards.

Previously had the PC3 and if you're on the fence between a PC3 & PC5, the size alone makes the PCV the better choice.
On either side of the tool area under the rear seat, there are perfect pockets for the PCV and IM standing up not laying down in the tool tray like most do with the PC3. So, the toolkit gets to stay put. It's like those pockets were made for the PCV + IM :tup:

Don't forget the mapswitch function either. Allows real world testing of maps back-to-back.

Back