PC3, PCV, Ignition Module, Flies, ETC..

Alright so I am starting to look around at some stuff...

I know I will need either a PC3 or PCV.

What will definitely be done is the Air filter, Lars Airbox Mod, gut the kitten, and Exup servo eliminator. I currently use 16/46 gearing, that is going down a bit to 16/45 however sometime in the month when I throw on my Q2's I have sitting here.

What I am unsure of is the flies. Do I want to completely remove them, or swap them for cut down ones like Ivans or CopperDawgs?

As far as the Ignition module goes, is that needed?

I am NOT getting a header right now, that will be over the winter. For now I will just gut the Cat, and rock the slip on.

I am searching and searching and there are SO many different opinions I find myself lost as to what does what anymore... It is pretty simple so far. PC3 if I may get the IM, PCV if I don't want it.

What really gets me is the flies thing.. I am NOT getting an FCE, so I don't know if having cut down flies would be proper knowing the flies are still opening slowly? If they opened fast like they do with the FCE, I would not question this however to me with the 2010 ECU, that is a waste of 200 bones.

Any help would be appreciated!

Just an FYI...based on the notes that I saw for the latest PC V firmware it looks like DJ will eventually release the IM for the PC V. I know they've talked about it before and the release date kept changing, but now that I see a reference to it in the firmware it leads me to believe that it will finally happen.

Glad you found your answer to the stock flies/no flies/cut down flies...

Then maybe I should just get the PCV... ITs smaller, and if there eventually will be a IM for it that would be cool. As I am not gonna be getting the IM anytime soon even if I did want it..

Try it first with just the PC3 or PC5 and exhaust and see how you like it. It may be plenty of power. There are trade offs to everything in engine design. You have a 2010 that has the best base maps.

AW

I haven't heard of a power or power delivery difference between the PCIII and the PCV. If you have faith in DJ adapting it to use the IM they will be on equal ground with the exception of the PCV able to run the auto tune. I have yet to hear anything good about the auto tune. I say go with what you get the best deal on.

I am going to make a shelf where the exup servo was and put all my stuff in there. I like having the tools with me inside the tail. So now it just comes down to when I could actually order this stuff.

Not sure WHEN I am going to do this but here is what I am going to do.. Thanks to everyone for the help, and a ton of searching I have come up with this result.

Lars Airbox
K&N Filter
Gut the Kitten (I am allergic to cats anyways)
PCV
Remove Flies
Exup Eliminator

If and when DJ comes out with the IM for the PCV, I will get that.

And I will grab a header from Arrow or Dale Walker sometime through the summer and just update the map.

:)

I am searching and searching and there are SO many different opinions I find myself lost as to what does what anymore...

I hear ya there!

What really gets me is the flies thing.. I am NOT getting an FCE, so I don't know if having cut down flies would be proper knowing the flies are still opening slowly?

I just got my PCIII delivered, which has opened the door to 'flies mods, cat gut etc. so I too have been heavily searching fueling threads.

It seems to me the 'flies thing is more a riding style preference than anything (WOT vs roll on ). You read about no flies bogging at lower rpm? It seems the OP in your link has gotten around it (or doesn't mind) with mapping, but are you gonna be able to get the proper map with PCIV?

Personally, I think I am gonna try cut down flies first (not too much $ really), and see if I want more of what it offers.

Oh, and slap on those Q2s! Mine just got installed and they are great so far!

Last edited:
I personally roll on hard vs. floor it so it should not bog. However I always cruise from 3500-4500 so I could care less if it was to bog at 2500 as my bike only sees that rpm from a dead stop takeoff. As far as the maps they will convert to the PCV.

My Q2's will be on within the month.

Not sure WHEN I am going to do this but here is what I am going to do.. Thanks to everyone for the help, and a ton of searching I have come up with this result.

Lars Airbox
K&N Filter
Gut the Kitten (I am allergic to cats anyways)
PCV
Remove Flies
Exup Eliminator

If and when DJ comes out with the IM for the PCV, I will get that.

And I will grab a header from Arrow or Dale Walker sometime through the summer and just update the map.

:)

Man I can't wait to see your write up after the mods especially with the 16T sprocket. Just remember to wear a diaper because you may have a accident.

have you by chance removed the flies yet? if so i've got all the mods and maps but only smaller flies. i'm wondering if no flies is better than smaller flies?

I personally roll on hard vs. floor it so it should not bog. However I always cruise from 3500-4500 so I could care less if it was to bog at 2500 as my bike only sees that rpm from a dead stop takeoff. As far as the maps they will convert to the PCV.

My Q2's will be on within the month.

Just catching up on this thread.

The PCV will convert a PCIII file for use. What is does is average 10% and 20% columns to create the 15% column (I could be off base on the actual columns, it averages regardless). The problem with this is maps are NOT made by averaging but from actual results. Check out a few custom maps and you'll see that from cell to cell the trim values will bounce around. -15 may be next to +5, next to -7. In this example the middle value would be -11, not +5. So take it for what it is, ultimately you'll need a custom tune if you want to optimize your motor configuration.

Back