Overheating

Hi All
having a few overheating probs on short city trips. Fan is not cutting in however it tests up fine fuses are fine also. wondering where i would find the fan relay and also a temp sensor. Overheating light has never come on yet bike is spewing coolant all over the road at traffic lights. lookin fwd to some ideas guys Thx in advance

Hi All
having a few overheating probs on short city trips. Fan is not cutting in however it tests up fine fuses are fine also. wondering where i would find the fan relay and also a temp sensor. Overheating light has never come on yet bike is spewing coolant all over the road at traffic lights. lookin fwd to some ideas guys Thx in advance

I would take out the thermostat and test it by putting it in the boiling water.

Check the thermostatic switch first. It will be screwed into the radiator with a rubber boot over two wire clips. Usually brass and about 19mm.

Jumper it

Keep it over 4k RPMs.

That's another thing, if your water pump is not spinning and you are not getting air forced into you radiator, then I am not surprised if you you stay around 210F

That will actually work (as a very temporary solution) but is not possible in traffic or many other situations. The heat spikes are not good for the engine either, long term. You can bypass the thermostatic switch by pulling the plugs off the switch (on the radiator) and connecting the two wires(or hooking up a temporary on/off switch between them). This will override the faulty switch in the rad if that is the cause. This won't help if it is the Thermostat which is just a heat operated spring valve that does not use any electrical.

Check the thermostatic switch first. It will be screwed into the radiator with a rubber boot over two wire clips. Usually brass and about 19mm.

I bridged the 2 pins on the 2 wire temp sensor that looks like its in the thermostat housing and the fan fired up straight away. I have ordered a new sensor today. hpefully thats it.

Back