Overheating

When I drive the bike around town in 80 degree weather...stop & go traffic, it shows the hot light on the indicator...is this unusual?Once I drive at speed for a minute or so, it goes out again.

i ride in 100 degree temps here with no problems. fan kicks on at 200 and cools it down..so i'd have to agree with thermostat if the fan is kicking on.

do a search on ebay "yamaha fz1", set the display results to 200, and look on page 3. A bunch of parts from a Gen I that may be useful to ya.....

BroHay

Last edited:
I've never had a real overheating problem but last February in southern Alabama in about 70 degree weather I did notice that in stop and go traffic my temp would climb quite fast and the fan would kick in until it cooled or I started moving again, then the temp. would fall quickly back into the 160's. That was a new experience for me. My other two liquid cooled bikes never either heated or cooled as fast as my 08 FZ1. My coolant level was fine too.

...As it turns out, I needed to add about a pint of antifreeeze (50/50) to the radiator and also put some in the overflow, which was bone dry. The bike stopped overheating:flash:

glad to hear you got her fixed!

I had a problem one day... blew my mind.. was caught in city traffic for a while... got back to the house, parked the bike, and AntiFreeze was coming out of the overflow and pooling on the ground... let it sit... the overflow went empty... topped the overflow back off... fired the bike up, never had a problem again...

apparently, the bike was just a little bit low... and the coolant got too hot, filled the overflow, spit some out and then sucked all of the remaining back into the engine... it's touchy.

Back