Out Of The Way My DEER!!

So I get out this morning before 7:30am to head up to the mountain. It was a beautiful 55 degrees out and breezy. By 8:15 I'm cruising up the mountainside coming up to the first set of twisties. As I'm coming out of the first left hander, I quickly tip her over to the right for the next turn and there on the inside of the right hander is a pretty big doe. With me sitting on the bike I'd say the height at my helmet level is about 5 feet. Well, we were pretty much looking at each other at eye level. I stood the bike up in a semi-panic and missed her by about a foot. That was close! She stood there motionless like she didn't have a care in the world. Then, as if that wasn't enough, I come up to my favorite 25mph hairpin right hander, which I have gotten it up to 45mph after years of practice, and there in the friggin lane is a rafter of wild turkeys! There had to have been 15 or 20 of them just clumped in the roadway. I figured at that point it was a sign from above that I had better slow it down and not press my luck. After I passed the first traffic circle about a mile or so West, I passed a trio of sportbikes coming the opposite way. The last guy in line was "waving" to me to slow it down so I figured that the Park Police were up ahead. As I came around the bend, there again in the roadway was another rafter of turkeys! My God! WTH! I havent seen this many wild animals if you added up all my trips to the mountain! Luckily I made it through unscathed and back home safely. Next Sunday I will definitely have the GoPro mounted and running so I can capture this on tape to share with you guys here. It was pretty amazing to say the least.

Forget the gopro, get the hunting rifle! j/k (kind of).

Last weekend we were heading toward Wayah RD on a RD the gps showed was paved the whole way (it ain't). We turned around when the road looked to be in someone's yard. Not long after we got back to the pavement as I crested the hill a whole deer family disappeared into the woods! I asked Cruzman if he'd seen them but he hadn't. then there was the suicidal squirrel. I slowed down for him to get out of the way and just as I sped up when I thought I'd cleared him I hear "Pop!" followed by Cruzman saying "You got him!"

At this point, I'm thinking I'm hunting the next thing I see. This is the south after all. Next we see a turkey, Cruzman said it was a tom but I was too busy slowing down trying to figure out how to hunt him with the multitool I keep stashed in the tank bag. Good thing for that turkey there was a car coming around the corner! At the very least I would have gotten a picture. :D

lots of close calls with wildlife this year someone I was riding with whose name i wont mention took out a snake as well.I stay off Wayah rd its always got chips and oil

You are lucky.. A few years back I came over a hill a few miles from my dads house and there were deer all the way across the road. Probably at least 4 or 5. Needless to say I got one while I was going about 65. I didnt even have time to react. Broke my right hand in 5 places skinned my knees up pretty good and had some rash on my lower back. Thank god I was wearing a helmet and leather jacket (first time out in the jacket) or i wouldn't be telling the story now. I think I counted my head hit the ground 6 times (gouges on the helmet).

Man glad to hear you made it through that. I have a buddy that hit a deer going about 65 and he broke hand and shin bone. The docs almost took his leg but he pulled through and now does mixed martial arts fighting with an extra thick shin. Man its painful when he kicks you. lol

Back