Ottimoto rearsets

Dreamdemon

Hi all,

I bought Ottimoto rearsets for my Fz1 genII and wanted to share my experience with you.

Some general info: I am 6'2" and like sporty rides as well as long day trips and long distance tours. I wanted rearsets, to modify the position to a more forward leaned position and to get slightly more ground clearance for the pegs.

I order the rearsets from a seller here in the Bay area and decided for the ottimoto because of low price, available spare parts and because the shift lever goes through the frame like in case of the oem rearsets.

Installation:
The installation was a total pain. I do all the maintenance of my bike myself, including valve adjustment and other difficult jobs but this was a pita. After trying to find the right set up for about 5-6 hours I gave up and contacted the local dealer who offered to install them for me if I come to his shop. I did so and he realized that some parts were missing or not correct. Together we needed 3 hours to install them and had to shorten the upper shift lever buy more than 2 inch to get the rearsets to work. In addition the braking cylinder bracket had to be modified so that the braking cylinder could be mounted correctly.
I do not think that this is at all acceptable, the rearsets are sold for this model and all parts should be included in the right size and the right amount. Beside wrong bolts (which you get easily) there were spacers missing and the bracket and the shiftrod had to be modified. All in all I would consider this a show stopper at least if you can not buy them locally or have a good workshop to do the required works yourself.

Function:
It takes some time to adjust the rearsets correctly. First you pick the right footpeg position (in my case all the way back and one hole above the lowest) and then have to adjust the shift rods. In case of the shift rods (there are two a lower and an upper one) it takes some time to get smooth shifting without any rod hitting some other part. However it finally works but required to shorten the upper shift rod. In addition the side stand can not be operated by foot anymore, so I hand operate it which works fine.

Once adjusted, the operation is very smooth and after more than 3000 miles is still working the same as the first day. No problems with anything loosening up or changing its adjustment.

The foot pegs are round but offer excellent grip, even with wet or slightly muddy boots. I did not notice an increase in vibrations, at least nothing which bothers me. I did several 400 mile days and no problem with vibs or discomfort because of the round pegs. The general feeling of the rearsets is so much firmer compared to the stock, the feedback from the bike is now as it should be.

One thing to note is that the pegs are a bit shorter compared to the stock ones but I do not have any troubles with that, even standing up on them is easily possible. Another possible downside is that the shift pedal is a bit short. I mean the distance between footpeg and toepeg is a bit short for large feet. In my case with boot size 11 it is still working but I needed to adjust my foot movement a bit when up shifting. I have Daytona boots which are rather high at the toe so that might make this issue more pronounced. I think with boot size <10 there should be no problem at all.

Finally I can not comment much on long term reliability just used them for ~ 3200 miles but the pegs show already aluminium and in general the black anodization is in general very thin and not well done.

Resume:
All in all I find them very good but would not recommend them for mechanical novice, and only buy them locally. All alternative rear sets are either bad looking (shift rod) or very expensive and at least what you read in other reviews not so easy to install either.

I hope this information is helpful.

Good write-up; pretty much agree with everything you said. I personally didn't like the footpegs and wanted folding footpegs, so I adapted Rizoma folding pegs, welding them onto the Ottimoto footpeg stub. Also changed the toe shifters to ribbed rubber (Kawasaki), which are longer and softer than Ottimoto's aluminum toe shifters. This set-up makes the stock Yamaha controls feel and look like farm equipment....

i just purchased and installed a set of Sato rearsets on my 08...have them on my R6 also,fitment was spot on took less than an hour to install and adjust...these are works of art and at a little over 4 bills,well worth the money

Valtermoto make some nice rearsets for the FZ1 and they are fairly cheap too.
Much nicer quality than the Ottimoto ones.

Valter Moto Type 1 Rearsets for Yamaha FZ1 06-, PJ's Parts

They are not adjustable and thus not useful for me. The ottimoto are good quality, only the coating is not so well done but I am not sure if other rearsets which are anodized would held up better, at least at the foot pegs and toepegs. I know there are other brands but most of them were not nice with strange and IMO ugly shifitng rod constructions. If the ottimoto would contain all necessary parts, a shorter shift rod and a correct brake bracket they would be buy far the best rearsets. I am very critical about all my stuff and find always room for improvement but the ottimoto are good rearsets.

They are not adjustable and thus not useful for me. The ottimoto are good quality, only the coating is not so well done but I am not sure if other rearsets which are anodized would held up better, at least at the foot pegs and toepegs. I know there are other brands but most of them were not nice with strange and IMO ugly shifitng rod constructions. If the ottimoto would contain all necessary parts, a shorter shift rod and a correct brake bracket they would be buy far the best rearsets. I am very critical about all my stuff and find always room for improvement but the ottimoto are good rearsets.

Fair enough.
As long as you are happy with them, then that's all that matters.

Sent from my SG3

Two quick points:

I considered Valtermoto for a few seconds, until I saw the shift rod did not go thru the frame....inexcusable IMO.

About the finish on Ottimoto rearsets: When I converted to Ohlins forks, the 07 R1 master cylinder I bought used and rebuilt was so faded it now looked dark red, not black. Frankly, the finish on the Ottimotto's has held up better way better than that...

Yes the problem is that they make round holes in the bracket and not elongated ones. With the round holes you have an awkward angle between the brakepaddel and the brake cylinder (should be 90 deg but is rather 75). You can use a drill to elongate the hole or better use the right tool a milling cutter. It's not that much work but if you do not have the right tools it's annoying.

That said, there might be positions of the rearsets that do not need this modification my rearset are max back and that makes the problems worse. I never tried more forward positions but they might solve this problem.

Here some general update on the rearsets:

I have used them now for about 10k miles and must say that some of the bolts can come loose over time even so I used locktite (blue). It is advised to check all bolts during the usual maintenance just to be sure.

Back