Opinions welcome please

I have a 2008 FZ1,, Been riding it for a year now and decided its time to go a bit beyond and set up for urban assault.. thinking 15/49 sprockets for it,, and second set for touring like a 17/39 setup to get as much gas mileage possible. any thought as to what type of issues im looking at as far as wear or damage to bike??

I have a 2008 FZ1,, Been riding it for a year now and decided its time to go a bit beyond and set up for urban assault.. thinking 15/49 sprockets for it,, and second set for touring like a 17/39 setup to get as much gas mileage possible. any thought as to what type of issues im looking at as far as wear or damage to bike??

I have the same bike and it seems plenty meaty just by keeping in the higher spin zones for ripping ass. It red lines too fast for me to mess with the sprocket. Wish it had another couple k of revs. Hoping for a modern liter with r1 spins in the next gen. I would like to see R6 revs in a liter:tup:

I think Old Rice has it right. You can use the gear lever up or down just as effectively and leave your secondary ratio as is. That way your cruising won't be negatively affected. I'm constantly reaching for a higher gear when alreay in 6th once I'm over 60 on the road. I just had to get used to the engine spinning higher and now that I'm back to the stock exhaust that doesn't even bother me so much.

Changing the front sprocket on my '07 resulted in alightly better mileage, which I did not expect.

Chain length will be a big issue. With a riveted chain, you need to select sets of sprockets that work with a fixed length chain, such a 124 links. I went from a 15/47 with 118 links to a 17/44 on my gen1 and I have very little room left for adjustment. I might have to cut the chain after it wears in some. I do like the taller gearing on the highway and around town a simple down shift gets the job done. Have fun.

Im not worried about losing top end trying to turn it into a complete urban assault powerhouse. I live in the city so going much over 60 dont happen often i want to make this bike get there super fast.. My cr500 i dropped front to 12 tooth was awsome and nobody could touch it in sprints. Im just trying to be sure nobody has had binding issues with the 15s i know some bike can be a bit tarded with dropping front sprockets down

Im not worried about losing top end trying to turn it into a complete urban assault powerhouse. I live in the city so going much over 60 dont happen often i want to make this bike get there super fast.. My cr500 i dropped front to 12 tooth was awsome and nobody could touch it in sprints. Im just trying to be sure nobody has had binding issues with the 15s i know some bike can be a bit tarded with dropping front sprockets down

As I said switching to a touring setup may require a chain length adjustment. You will experience two things with the FZ1 and very low gearing. The front end will come up and the chain will wear out the swing arm chain guide. Be careful.

Back