Opinions on a Yamaha C Cubed (c3) scooter

riderlak1

So I have been thinking about buying a scooter to ride back and forth to work. My house is about 2 miles from the office, and I hate to get the FZ1 out for such a short ride.

I have been reading a lot on the newer modern scooters, and even got to ride home for a friend a 2009 Honda metropolitan. And funny enough in my town there's a group of guys that have a "scooter club" who all get together and cruise around town on them. All of the above sound like a ton of fun, so I think I've decided to get one.

I know they are very fuel efficient, up to 100mpg, and I can save fuel by riding it to work....but I'm just looking for one for fun. AND...my wife said if I got one she would like to try a go at riding it....awesome!

So with all of the arguments aside, I'm set on a 4 stroke modern 49cc scooter. In Illinois anything under 50 does not require a motorcycle license, which I do have but the wife does not. So that narrows my search to the 49cc class.

After much reading and debating I've narrowed down to the Yamaha C Cubed or c3. They're modern with fuel injection, liquid cooled, and a large storage compartment under the seat. They have the larger tires and cast wheels like the zuma, but only disc brakes. Lots of reviews say they are very easy to ride for beginners.

I'm asking for anyone that has opinions on the current 50cc scoot class right now.

Thought about older ones, but want to shy away from 2 stroke. And I won't buy one of the cheap Chinese ones.

Current contenders are Yamaha c3, Yamaha vino, Yamaha zuma, Honda elite, Honda metropolitan, Honda ruckus, and Kymco agility 50.

Thoughts or help anyone??

Thanks in advance! : )

Scoots are the bomb! Fun and cheap way to get around, why wouldn't you have one? :)

Any of the 50cc four-strokes from the major manufacturers are a safe bet and don't bother buying new. $1000 could get you something a few years old I'm sure.

Scoots are the bomb! Fun and cheap way to get around, why wouldn't you have one? :)

Any of the 50cc four-strokes from the major manufacturers are a safe bet and don't bother buying new. $1000 could get you something a few years old I'm sure.

Yep, forgot to mention that I am planning to buy used. The new ones are running around $2000 plus fees and I'm not ready to pay that. Plus I don't mind one a few years old because it's likely that my wife could put some scratches on it in the learning process.

My friend picked up a 09 Honda metropolitan with 170 miles on it for $1050 so I know there are deals out there to found. I just really love the thought of the fuel injection for less maintenance!

I worked at the local Yamaha dealer here for about a year and my only recommendation is to avoid the knock-off chinese models, we wouldnt even work on them at the dealership because the few we attempted to wrench on were a total nightmare....I know you said you werent considering those, but just wanted to put in my .02......

With that being said, have you ridden a Zuma? I know you wanted to stay away from the 2 strokers but those Zuma's are a blast!

I have a 2009 C3 here that we bought for my daughter to use. She put 65 miles on it and parked it. So, it's not even had a full tank of fuel run through it. It's not even broke in. $1500 too much for a "new" C3? It's been garaged under my work bench all this time out of the weather and sunlight. Here is a pic of the little guy in training on my street. :D Another one of her in the garage and a little dusty.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have a 2009 C3 here that we bought for my daughter to use. She put 65 miles on it and parked it. So, it's not even had a full tank of fuel run through it. It's not even broke in. $1500 too much for a "new" C3? It's been garaged under my work bench all this time out of the weather and sunlight. Here is a pic of the little guy in training on my street. :D Another one of her in the garage and a little dusty.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Man, that would be perfect for us! I can assure you that it would probably have 65 miles in one day at our house!!

So do you want it? I know we're about 1200 miles apart.... :( But....

Ha, yes I do want it! I totally want it! If you were within a couple hours I would be there! But my wife will be 39 weeks pregnant on Sunday, and a 2500 mile road trip isn't going to fly with her!

I can't imagine riding that thing home....that would for sure be an epic adventure!

How about a bicycle instead? Even cheap, and you'll get some exercise.

I had a job that I was 1.5 miles from work. I rode my bicycle every day. I only used the car for the grocery store and going skiing. I think I put on only 3,000 miles one year. Then the next year I went to graduate school and racked up 35,000 in one year, eh...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYCwIxdSRQs]Lloyd and Harry reach Aspen on Scooter in Dumb and Dumber - YouTube[/ame]

49cc scooters are death traps in Florida or any populated area. I would make the wife take a safety course and get a license. Then you can step up to a 150cc unit where you can accelerate away from potential hazards and not be run off the road. But if you must, I would go with the Zuma and a big bore kit. The only people riding the 49cc bikes around here are the ones who lost their license "DUI cycle" or are too poor to buy a car.

Last edited:
How about a bicycle instead? Even cheap, and you'll get some exercise.

I had a job that I was 1.5 miles from work. I rode my bicycle every day. I only used the car for the grocery store and going skiing. I think I put on only 3,000 miles one year. Then the next year I went to graduate school and racked up 35,000 in one year, eh...

:ditto: Yeah, what he said! You are in Illinois, that's got to be one easy ride.

I have been thinking about pulling out the ol' mountain bike and ride to my work, but it's 7 miles and undulating terrain here in COLORADO Springs has made me a little tentative to do it. The last mile to my house is probably a 200' elevation gain...and I'm not sure I want to do that at the end of the day....but you're in Illinois...c'mon man! :flip:

Ha, yes I do want it! I totally want it! If you were within a couple hours I would be there! But my wife will be 39 weeks pregnant on Sunday, and a 2500 mile road trip isn't going to fly with her!

I can't imagine riding that thing home....that would for sure be an epic adventure!

Meet half way? Buffalo on a Sat.? ;)

Why are you shying away from 2-strokes? Way more power at the same cc. I'm sure they have an oil injection system, so no premix headaches. I'd recommend a Zuma 49cc 2 stroke for what you described.

A bicycle is a nice suggestion, but you don't want to get to work all sweaty on those 95+ degree days with 150% humidity (I live in IL too). Even 2 miles would do that to me.

I'd like to have a Zuma 125 2-stroke if they made them (I'm pretty sure all the scoots over 49cc's are 4-stroke now :() and a T-Max. If you really want the 4-stroke 49cc, then the Vino comes in 4-stroke and has a classic style, but the c3 has that Russian utilitarian look and is very practical with lots of storage. I don't think the 49cc scoots will go over 45 mph, but maybe Cobalt can answer that. If you want a c3, his would be a great one. I know how he take care of his stuff. It's a very long way from IL. Might not be cost effective. :( I'm not sure Buffalo is half way between NH and IL :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was considering getting a scooter for commuting I started reading up about those two-stroke vs four-stroke and there's a lot of media saying that the new breed of four-stroke 50s make nearly the same peak power but with way more torque, making them better all around before even accounting for maintenance and economy.

Anything behind that statement?

Thanks everyone for the replies! Here are some more details on my decision...

1. Bicycle to work- I work at a bank and have to wear a full suit and tie ever day. I really don't want to get hot and sweaty on the ride to and from work.

2. 2 stroke versus 4 stroke- again I work at a bank and don't want to run the risk of the smell getting into the clothes. I also agree that while the modern 4 stroke engines don't have quite the power a 2 stroke has, I am willing to trade that power loss for no oil smell. Plus the wife won't ride a smoker....haha. The Yamaha c3 motor is a great motor with fuel injection and a 3 valve head I believe. They should produce similar power to a 2 stroke.

3. Safety- I live in a smaller town, and the max sipped limit on 95% of the roads is 30 or 35. Most are neighborhoods. I know there are hazards everywhere but the risk is minimal of needing to really accelerate to get out into traffic. There really isn't a lot of merging into traffic where we would ride this.

Anyways....I'm actually writing this in the hospital as my wife went into labor tonight!!!

So as bad as I want one, the family comes first! I just want to get lots of opinions for when the time comes in a few weeks or months to start seriously looking...

Thanks again for all the replies guys!

Back