Operating temperature

2009 FZ1...seems to me to run a bit on the warm side, especially under say 35-40 mph...question is, what do people's bikes seem to run temperature wise? I know the manual says that 242 degrees is overheating, not running that hot but will hit the 214 degree (fan comes on) mark at low speeds...just curious. I would think that this bike would run a bit hot for emissions...but...

Its 60-70 up here in WI and atm running temp is 160ish however, just turning arround backing up into my spot in the yard it hits 214 in no time.
If the fan kicks in and the temp is still rising then id say you have a problem. Its summer

Yup, it's not uncommon to run that hot in traffic or low speed in warmer climates. You can lower that a bit if you throw some Engine Ice in there instead of regular antifreeze. Mine runs about 10 -20 degrees lower since I put that in. No worries, your bike is in the norm!

I find my FZ1 is sensitive to ambient temperature and any stop/go traffic. In 90 deg weather here in TX my temps may dip to 180 deg in cruise mode at 70 mph in sixth gear. But even a couple of stop signs or a traffic light will bump it up to 190-195 deg, and a real long traffic light will pop it up to about 210 at which point the fans kick in. Once moving again it drops pretty quickly to a more normal level. I have an aftermarket perforated grille cover but didn't see much difference after I put it on. You look like you are in spec.

Back