Ooo that smell

Wannabe

Or noob asks a stupid question.

The f-trip light came on for the first time after a ride yesterday. I didn't notice it until pulling into my driveway. This of course is normal as I was low on gas. Accompanying the light was a slight gasoline/burning smell. This has me concerned. Is this normal gassing of a new ride?

What really has me paranoid is I installed my heated grips and ran the wires the day before. The wire enters the frame through the right front cable port and is routed to the side of the airbox. The control unit is wire-tied under the fuel tank with the wires being run directly to the battery until the Fuzeblock arrives.

I plan on taking off the plastics again tonight and checking out the wire routing for melting. Is there something hot around the airbox that I don't know about? :confused:

So long as you've tied the wiring to the existing harness, it should be safe bundled with what the factory put there.

My bike has some odd odors at times but as long as it is running well, I'm not too concerned (unless it is electrical in smell!) I know that once in a while I smell wood burning... Well, I do a lot of woodworking and sometimes forget to rinse the sawdust off the bike so what is on the pipes will cook a little. ;) Nothing a bit of polish doesn't take care of. :D

Can you tell if it is coming from the front or rear? No visible leaks or seepage from any one spot?

It doesn't exactly follow the stock harness path. The stock harness routes under the airbox closer to the valve covers. This wiring actually goes over the airbox and then rejoins the stock harness. I was lazy and didn't want to remove the airbox. Plus the service manual has yet to arrive.

Everything is working fine. I think it is just natural gassing of painted parts and plastic as it heats up. After coming from a bike with 125k+ miles I am bit tuned into any changes in sound, smell or vibrations as a foreshadowing of trouble.

Pop the airbox and while there, mod the flies and cut the box for the LARS mod. ;) Since that is all undone, route the wires with wraps on the stock harness. Oh, and block the AIS, drop the cannon and slap on a slip-on. :D DONE!

So long as you've tied the wiring to the existing harness, it should be safe bundled with what the factory put there.

My bike has some odd odors at times but as long as it is running well, I'm not too concerned (unless it is electrical in smell!) I know that once in a while I smell wood burning... Well, I do a lot of woodworking and sometimes forget to rinse the sawdust off the bike so what is on the pipes will cook a little. ;) Nothing a bit of polish doesn't take care of. :D

Can you tell if it is coming from the front or rear? No visible leaks or seepage from any one spot?

Dude, no joke I get a wood burning smell sometimes from mine, and I DON'T do any woodworking. It weirds me out and I have no idea where it's coming from.

sounds like some of that ethanol, depending on where it was harvested... sorta like wine, the corn has various smells. mine sometimes smells like pine or popcorn, or sometimes even honey! :kuku:

Dude, no joke I get a wood burning smell sometimes from mine, and I DON'T do any woodworking. It weirds me out and I have no idea where it's coming from.

That's the smell of the stock seat getting hot after a hundred miles or so. :rolleyes:

Butt seriously...

Wannabe, I assume you had to lift the tank to run the wires? Make sure you didn't pop off any hoses (like crankcase vent). If not I would probably go with the new bike smell theory.

On a related note, be careful lifting the tank with this bike because the stock fuel line tends to kink. Many have replaced it with a longer and more flexible hose.

Hope you're enjoying the new bike!

I too get that wood burning smell occassionally.......I think I read somewhere it is the catyletic (where's spell check!!) converter??? Never had the "sea smell" though!!!

Last night I stripped the plastics off again and re-inspected my work. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Plus, last night the smell was still there but greatly reduced. My vote is firmly in the new bike smell corner now.

@Crispy, I definitely noted the fuel line issue. It is a tight run for those hoses. I imagine that if the line got kinked I would experience that as a sputtering or a loss of power. Is the fuel pump in the tank or are those electrical wires for the fuel gauge?

Thanks to everyone for indulging my neurosis.

I too get that wood burning smell occassionally.......I think I read somewhere it is the catyletic (where's spell check!!) converter??? Never had the "sea smell" though!!!

Glad to hear I am not the only one with a wierd smell after a spirited ride.
I keep looking for a burning culprit to no avail....difference is that my bike smells of eucalyptus!!
Must have something to do from being in Oz....

I think riding the FZ is like a potent drug, and it's got everyone hallucinating different smells.
Unfortunately, mine usually smells like burnt cash...

Wood burner?!?.................

Well, me too with the wood burning type smell. I thought it was just someone by us with a wood burning stove since it still is a bit chilly around here, but when we get home from a ride I def. smell it and even the wife says it smells like its coming from my bike.

I only have about 350 miles on it, but that is one " new bike " smell I have not experienced before. And the wifes FZ6R ( just as new ) does not seem to have the campfire smell to it so it must just be special to the 1000.?!

Plus one here on the burning wood smell. It really freaked me out the first few times I smelled it but now I just ignore it. I figure I have 5 years of YES so if my bike burns to the ground I'll just get a new one. ;)

Back