One of my project bikes. '06 FZ1

Thank you for the compliment!! The CB-F is mainly a show item for my shop and the FZ1 is one of my personal bikes. I don't get much time for my own stuff as I'm 3 months out with custom CB parts. Even though I don't get much time to ride or play with my toys, I love my job because I get to play with bike parts all day everyday.

Today I found that my new horn location was no good. I forgot that it needed to pivot with the forks. Duh! It was Ok though because it was an easy fix and I like the new location much better.
My wifes out of town so I stayed in the shop until 2am last night and got this bike running. I changed the oil, installed a new battery, put on a new rear tire, got the rear cowl pieces all back in place and started designing the new license plate and light location.
Also the tachometer cover and lens were damaged when I got this bike so I tore that apart and started to repair the cover and replace the lens.

There are a couple pictures of the GPZ1000 arm that I am modding for a customer's CB1100F. I made the adjustable brake arm today for it. Pretty trick IMO.

Peace, JJAM

Today I worked on the license plate and used a bracket that I had got of off the web. Don't remember the name. Anyway I cut out some aluminum flat stock, turned some spacers and bolted it up. I was going to use the stock plate light but decided that it was just to big. Need to find something different for that. Balanced the tire and mounted it back up.
After I find the light that I want, the whole thing will be painted black and will be done..

Keep it in a wheelie, JJAM

Today I made the headlight adjuster set up which isn't much but at least now there is an adjustment. These inexpensive mini fairings don't come with any light adjustment. I also made a couple tabs for the blinker and headlight relays to mount on.
Now all I have to do is the headlight wiring and blinkers then the rear sets and this baby is ready to ride for the summer. Paint will have to come next year.

Peace, JJAM

Thanks guy's! I'm liken it and can't wait to have the funds to get it painted but thats going to have to wait. I want to RIDE!!

Today I decided that I would tackle the wiring and making the aftermarket lights hook up to the Yamaha connections. These fairings come with weak headlight bulbs so I modified the stock FZ1 bulbs to fit the light housings. I cut the outer rings off of the bulbs and they fit in the holes perfectly. The problem is no way to hold them in place. My fix was to use some High Temp silicone to hold them in place. It will be a PITA to change the bulbs but without machining something this will work. The fairing comes with the blinkers built in and a running light in with the two headlight bulbs. The bad thing is that the blinkers aren't wired for the running lights and I will have to find something to make the bike legal.
Got all of the wires ran up above the frame, tied together and enough slack to turn without kinks. I had to splice the Yamaha blinker connections and lengthen one of the head light connectors. Soldering with heat shrink is the best way that I know of for splices so this bike got that and a bike style locking plug for the one running light.

Now for the fun part. I got to ride this baby today for the first time in two years of owning it. Holy Shit BatMan!!!:yes:
This is the newest bike that I have ridden and WOW!! Not sure that I will put the 16 tooth sprocket that I bought on it?? I'm use to my 30yr old Honda CB-F bikes and even in race trim they don't move like this thing. Maybe I would have been happy with it stock but it's too late for that now.:D
Sorry to write a book but I'm very excited after my ride and I only went a mile. I didn't have the fairing on at the time so Johny would have pulled me over for sure. She Wheelies and accelerates hard thats all I know.
After the ride I pulled the shock and recharged it with nitrogen and installed some bar end mirrors.
I hate the stock rear sets and have the R1 Vortex rear sets that I modded to go on but I don't have the time to polish them and have them anodized, stock will have to do for now.

So far the mods that I have done are;

cut my own flies.
Air box mod.
Blocked off the air cut off circuit.
Graves velocity stacks.
R1 Straight through muffler
Renthal RC Low bars.
KTM bar clamps.
Frame and arm sliders.
R1 shock with longer upper shock mount
EP radiator guard.
Tail tuck

Peace, JJAM

Today I finished repairing the tach cover and replacing the lens. It turned out pretty good IMO. When I pull the bike apart to paint it I will fill some more pits in the cover that I made while getting the stock lens out.
All of the lights worked as they should and I'm really happy that I put the better bulbs in.

I need to get the title changed over to my name and then I'm good to go for my summer ride. Track days here I cover. I can't wait to go ride at "The Ridge".
Its a new track in Shelton WA. Fresh pavement and their own style of a cork screw.
I took it for a little longer ride today and really like the bike.
Decided that the license plate needed to move back to the rear two bolt holes. Much better now.

Peace JJAM

FYI, The headlight housing can NOT take the heat from the better bulbs.:banghead: Now I will have to machine out something to fix the headlight or give in buy another one and run the crappy bulbs? We will see as I have no more time to work on this bike for awhile. Since I really only want to do track days, I will make an aluminum front number plate and be happy with that for now.

Peace, JJAM

I have been able to ride the bike a couple hundred miles now and love it. Can't wait to do a track day!!

I noticed that only one of my fans comes on. Are these staged at different temp's? Otherwise my rewire of the other fan may need some attention?

Thanks for any help on the question.

Peace, Jim

Back