One of my project bikes. '06 FZ1

Hello, I recently bought an 06 FZ1. Its my newest bike. When I bought it, the fairing had been damaged & mainly everything that goes with it. I decided that all new stock was just out of my budget & I wanted something that was all mine. I started picking up parts off ebay & other places. I got a fighter style fairing for it & I'm in the process of making the mount for it.
I wanted the triple clamps to be black, so I had the lower powder coated & the top I had to spray. I didn't want to drill out the ignition rivets & go through all that.
I didn't like the plastic radiator grill so I got a suitable one for the bike. I need different bolts for it but haven't got that far yet.
I got a set of used Vortex rear sets off of a R1 or R6? I'm not sure. I modified them to fit the FZ & they are now getting re-anodized black. They were gold. They fit perfect! I like it.
I bought a set of Graves velocity stacks for it, I hope they were worth the $75.00 I paid for them? I read all of the mods that I could do & have set forth with them. I'm cutting the secondary buttery fly valves, rerouted all of the wires that run through the air intakes, cut out the bottom of the air box, removed the stock can & am installing an 02 R1 can that I modded to fit & removed the guts. I will be working on finishing that within a week.
I will be painting the bike Canary Yellow & installing custom made old school ala Kenny Roberts graphics. It will look cool. IMO
I hate the stock bars, so I made my own risers & got a set of RC bend Renthal fat bars for it. I really like them on the bike. I had the bars & risers powder coated black to go along with the triple clamps.
I also got new rubber for her front & rear.
For the suspension, I'm installing an R1 shock & will be rebuilding it & making it work. For the forks (not sure it will work yet?) I'm wanting to install R1 cartridge internals. I know they are shorter, but I think I can make them work. Plus the front will need to be shorter to equal out what the R1 shock will do to the stance. We will see if I can make it work?

Did I mention that I have only started this bike up ounce & have never ridden it. I don't ride stock bikes & have torn apart every bike & rebuilt it to my likings every time. I have only begun working on this thing. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Well now that I have talked your ear off. I will see how to put pictures on this web site. Hopefully it will be like the CB1100F site that I belong to. If not? I may need some advice? Here is what I have done so far. The fairing is only zip tied on in the pictures. I had to see what It would look like.

Keep it in a wheelie, JJAM

Just to start you can't change the internals on the fork because the stock forks lack the bottom compression adjuster. On the sock fork the left side handles compression and the right side rebound both of which are adjusted up top. It is easy enough to replace the stock fork with R1 componets of your choice from 04 on. If you use 07 on you will either need spacers or get the R1 310mm discs. 04-06 are a direct bolt in operation. I canned recall off the cuff but there is a person (satan666) who make a adapter for the R1 shock.

Welcome and please post sow pictures as you go, we love these builds.

I planned on milling out my own holes in the bottom of the forks to accept the dampening adjusters. I haven't got the R1 internals yet so at this point it's just a pipe dream. I do all of my own machining, so It's not a problem to do the stuff. I own a motorcycle machine shop & mainly modify/ rebuild heads & bore cases to accept big bore kits.
I like having stuff that no one else has & I can't afford R1 forks at this time. I buy bikes & see what I can do to them & then sell the mods to others.

Thanks for the info on the linkage sets!! I will check him out.

JJAM

Good luck with the build & keep posting pics. It is good to see something a bit different. Here are a few pics of my Kenny Roberts yellow FZ1.

It's been a few weeks, but I got done with some customers bikes and was able to work on this FZ again.
Today I set out to get the R1 shock on & it turned out perfect. I will be selling the adapter to mount an 02 & whatever other years used that style of shock. It might work on the nicer newer R1 shocks also but I don't have one to play with. With my mod you can leave the rectifier in it's stock location & everything clears with lots of room.
I also got my Renthal RC bend fat bars mounted. They look So sweet on this bike.
The last thing that I had time to do was cut up & modify an 02 R1 can for it. I tore the guts out of it & cut 5" off of it. I had to cut the mid pipe into three sections to get the right angle of the dangle & will be tig welding it back up. I haven't welded titanium, so we will see how that goes. I about shit when I found out how much the titanium welding rod costs. I'm almost over it now. LOL

I can't wait to finish my new shop. This half a car garage is killing me. Whaaa.

Thats all I got for now here are some pictures of what I got done. Cya, Jim

I haven't ridden this yet but just sitting on the bike, with the R1 shock on it, the valving seems too soft in both compression & rebound. I didn't have time to dial the adjuster's in to see how that felt? But with the different linkage's that are on the R1 & FZ1, I think I will have to pull the shock apart & re-valve it to get it to my liking? Time will tell.
Originally I made some spacers on the lathe to get the bars up higher & I was going to get longer brake lines & re-route the clutch cable to make it work. Well now I have decided that I like the look of the shorter bar clamps that are off of a KTM & will stick with them. Between the clamps & the rise of the bars, I should have the same rise as the stock set up? I didn't measure it yet.

I started making the fairing mount today & almost messed up. I had planed on mounting it to the frame but that was going to make the fairing stick way out, to give room for the bars while turning. I didn't like it. Back to the drawing board. I am now planning on mounting them to the triple clamps, so the fairing will turn with the bars & I will be able to keep the whole set up close in to the bike. It will look much better that way.

Sorry no picture today. I was too busy to snap any shots.

Keep it in a wheelie, Jim

Hey all, I haven't been working on this bike much, I have had a lot of work in the shop so I didn't get to play with my toys.
I did get the 02 R1 can all sorted out. I cut 5" off of it, removed the stock baffles, had it powder coated & installed a straight through core. This was my first time welding Titanium, so go easy on the comments. I learned from it & that's what matters to me. The only other thing that I have had time to do was install the rear passenger pegs & hangers. I had them powder coated also.
Here is a couple of pic's of the slow progress.

Cya, JJAM

It's been a slow process but I'm still trying to work on this bike. It was a busy summer & now things are getting slow, so I should have more time to work on this one. I have 4 project bikes going on. Bad mistake on my part.

Anyway, I was in the process of removing the secondary butterfly valves, to modify & my old #0 screw driver tip broke off in the first screw. I didn't heat it up enough. I use valve lapping compound on the tip of my philips head drivers when I don't want the driver to slip and I had tapped the driver into the screw & when I went to turn it the tip broke off. It was lodged in the screw and wouldn't come out with any pick that I tried.

I had to think about this for a little while & then remembered that I had some dental size carbide burrs. I found one small enough to fit in the slots & started grinding. It worked awesome & didn't damage the screw at all. I used grease to keep all of the grit from going into the throttle bodies. After that I heated it up again & it came straight out. I was a happy boy!!

The point of the can was to get rid of 20lbs & the extra cat. The cool thing about it is. It was free & I like it.
Thanks for the comment, I like others input.

I still haven't had time to work on this FZ1. When I bought it is was healing up from having my neck fused. Then this April I had my 3rd lower back surgery and that put a halt on everything as well. Thirty yrs of MX was very good to me. LOL
I have my own business making parts for 79 to 83 Honda CB750/900/1100F model bikes and have been swamped with no time to work on my personal bikes.
I am in the process of building a custom 81 CB900F with 07 CBR600RR rear wheel, swingarm, ZX9R forks and triples modded to fit the CB steering neck. We have cut the rear subframe off and are building a new custom one out of aluminum and making a new tail cowl and side panels. I am hoping to enter this bike and a customers CB900 into The One motorcycle show in Portland OR, this Feb.

Anyway just thought I would show why this bike has been on the back burner.

Here are some pic's of what I do. The first one is the CB900F that is getting modernized, the second picture is a customers modded arm and the 3rd is some rear set plates that I made to fit some RC51 rear sets to the old CB frame. I do lots more stuff here and just wish that I had time to work on my own bikes every now and then.

Peace, JJAM

Last edited:
Very nice project so far ,, I cant help wonder though ,, After all the effort you have put in & what you will , why you didnt drill the rivet heads off the ignition so you could powder coat it the same as the rest ?
Just my thoughts .

It's pretty funny that you mention that because that has bothered me ever since I did that.
I basically was in a hurry the day that I went to the PC place and didn't want to take the time. I was in a hurry at that point in time. Now that this bike has been put on the back burner, due to my work load on the CB-F bikes, I will get those PC'd as well. Originally I was just going to fulfill a dream to own one of these bikes. I was going to fix it up the way that I wanted it, ride it for a summer and then sell it to buy another project bike. Now that my business has picked up and I have more orders then I know what to do with. I will keep this FZ and enjoy it.

Hi guys, I finally got some time to work on my own bikes and decided that I really want to ride this FZ1. Today I got busy building the fairing mount for my aftermarket fairing.

At first I started making two piece fork clamps and was planning on building the mounts off of the clamps but after I got the first clamp almost done, I decided that everybody has this style of mounts so I shit canned the idea. You can see what I was planning in one of the pictures.

Then I decided to use four existing bolt holes that are in the triple clamps and build from there. This style of mount will make the fairing look like it is floating with no mounts and I like that look a lot.
I still need to make the speedometer mount and an adjustment for the angle of the head light but that will be easy now that the base of the mount is done.

I really want to ride and haven't had a running bike since my neck surgery 2 yrs ago. This FZ will just get a rattle can paint job for this summer and It will come back apart next winter and get what I really want.

I also showed a picture of the custom 81 CB900F that I am building for a show shop bike. Its not done but you get the idea.

Peace, JJAM

Last edited:
I had a little time for this bike today so I started wiring the headlight assembly and made a new place for the horn to live. I used pieces from the stock horn mount, a piece of 3/4" square tube and some acorn huts. This setup will bolt right where the stock fairing mount is on the frame. Worked out perfect and the horn will sit in between the new fairing brackets. Tomorrow when the paint is dry I will put it on the bike.
After the horn is in place I will mount the fairing back up and see what I need to do for my light adjustment and the speedometer bracket.

Can someone tell me what is powered by the gray wire connection that is in the first picture? When I got the bike the fairing was gone and I don't have whatever plugs in here. Maybe the front blinkers?

Peace, JJAM

Today I made the speedo cluster mount and will weld it up hopefully tomorrow? Got the horn in its new place and just need to find out where the front blinkers wire into and this fairing will be road ready.
The stock mounting plate has a raised mount for one of the 3 pegs. I turned an aluminum spacer for it and it turned out just like I wanted.

Keep it in a wheelie, Jim

Keep it up man! That CB looks sick!

I wish I had room, time and talent to have a project bike.

I only have one bike right now and I commute to work everyday on it, so no time to spend tinkering like that.

I hope to get a second bike, perhaps this year so I have something to ride while I do major stuff to my FZ and visa versa.

Back