On the Hot Seat

I love to ride my 2007 FZ1, just not very far. Commuting 30 min on it gives me a "hot butt". A 3 hr ride will put me in a wheel chair. So, anybody have a useful tip for making these seats useable? Looked at a Corbin Pilot seat for $259, but still not convinced it will give me the usability I am looking for. Stock seat is too slanted and tends to jam your "jewels" forward all the time, and the butt area is not shaped to fit the shape of mine. It rounds around and down, gives very little support and too much pressure on the butt bones. Riding partner is a Harley man and says that is the way to go. Not ready for that, love the quickness and versatility of the FZ1.

Well even with my Sargent seat I am looking to take a break after about two hours. I doubt the Corbin would be any different.

I've found that a really good seat must be relatively flat and level so it's not pushing you up or down and doesn't put you in a valley. Even a very soft seat that is cupped will cause butt pain in a relatively short period. The FZ1 seat really doesn't have much room for making it comfy without totally redoing it. I tried Yamaha's gel seat but thought it wasn't any better than the stock seat. If you really want to get a seat that won't kill your rear end you're going to have to go custom and pay the bucks. It's a bugger, but that's about as truthful as I can be about the FZ1 seating.

I love to ride my 2007 FZ1, just not very far. Commuting 30 min on it gives me a "hot butt". A 3 hr ride will put me in a wheel chair. So, anybody have a useful tip for making these seats useable? Looked at a Corbin Pilot seat for $259, but still not convinced it will give me the usability I am looking for. Stock seat is too slanted and tends to jam your "jewels" forward all the time, and the butt area is not shaped to fit the shape of mine. It rounds around and down, gives very little support and too much pressure on the butt bones. Riding partner is a Harley man and says that is the way to go. Not ready for that, love the quickness and versatility of the FZ1.

This sounds like a job for ERIC. He will be able to point you to the source of relief! Break out your gold card and talk to FZ1inNH.

Corbin works for me, and padded bicycle shorts. Butt never bothers me, but do wack the marbles sometimes, unless I get the bic shorts high enough. About ready to try the jock strap.

Loop takes about 3.5 hours, stopping only for fuel. I don't carry any fat.

Two things I don't like about my Corbin, 1) it's slick, and each time I brake I slide up against the tank - ouch, 2) It's canted forward making point number one even worse. I find myself schooching back all the time.

Two things I don't like about my Corbin, 1) it's slick, and each time I brake I slide up against the tank - ouch, 2) It's canted forward making point number one even worse. I find myself schooching back all the time.

It is like the stock when comparing that slant toward the tank. It does get better with usage.

I got the fabric that looks like alligator hide, and don't notice it sliding, but I DO intentionally slide from side to side all the time, and will hit the tank unless I remember to grip the tank with knees.

What cracks my marbles is when I hit a good bump when not ready. Hate that.

Also, I wish the corbin had a rear bumper thingie on their seat to stop sliding all the way back under hard roll on.

I am one of those that like the seat. Maybe it is because at 225 I already have plenty of built in padding. I can't ride any more that 1 - 1.5 hours before I have to get gas anyway. :)

Ain't easy being green

I am one of those that like the seat. Maybe it is because at 225 I already have plenty of built in padding. I can't ride any more that 1 - 1.5 hours before I have to get gas anyway. :)

An hour and a half... you do have a heavy throttle hand, Yikes. All good fun, and just think the enviormentalists must love you, you are recycling dinosaurs at at great rate. Yeah for being green! :sport12: :laugh2:

Last edited:
It is like the stock when comparing that slant toward the tank. It does get better with usage.

I got the fabric that looks like alligator hide, and don't notice it sliding, but I DO intentionally slide from side to side all the time, and will hit the tank unless I remember to grip the tank with knees.

What cracks my marbles is when I hit a good bump when not ready. Hate that.

Also, I wish the corbin had a rear bumper thingie on their seat to stop sliding all the way back under hard roll on.

Mine came on the bike and has been used several years prior to me getting it. It also has the "carbon" fiber leather, which is universally loathed.

I think a marine vinyl, and less in the butt and more in the tank area will balance it out.

Mine came on the bike and has been used several years prior to me getting it. It also has the "carbon" fiber leather, which is universally loathed.

I think a marine vinyl, and less in the butt and more in the tank area will balance it out.

lol, this is what I have, but it works for me. Couldn't think of 'carbon,' but I think that's what I have.

im also still on stock seat but i last about 3-4 hours but by that time my legs are as sore as my butt so i dont mind.. Im 140 lbs and have almost no built in padding ;)

im also still on stock seat but i last about 3-4 hours but by that time my legs are as sore as my butt so i dont mind.. Im 140 lbs and have almost no built in padding ;)

Me too, legs give out before the butt. But on our bike, ya can stretch the legs on the engine sliders if you don't always run Satan's pegs.

First, let me say that the stock seat is SO much more comfortable than the stock seat on my Z750S that I think it feels like a La-Z-Boy recliner.

All seriousness aside, a couple of ideas you might consider:

1. Get the Stomp-Grip for your tank - it will help keep you from sliding forward.

2. My friend bought a sheepskin pad for his '06 FZ1, says it works great at keeping away the numb butt. And you can take it off and wash it. Lots cheaper than a $300 seat that might not be comfortable, anyway.

2. My friend bought a sheepskin pad for his '06 FZ1, says it works great at keeping away the numb butt. And you can take it off and wash it. Lots cheaper than a $300 seat that might not be comfortable, anyway.

I can't... just can't. I have a phobia about riding a sheep. :scared0016: :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Seriously though... yes, the Top Saddlery is expensive but this is my third bike with their seats and I've yet to find anything more comfortable for a motorcycle. I can say that anyone ordering should order the LONG version if you weigh over 160 lbs to give you more room to scoot back.

With this seat, I can easily ride from gas station to gas station with fuel the only reason I need to stop. It really is like a Lazy-Boy! :D

Back