Okay to Clean Wheels with Kerosene?

Saw at least one person say after chain cleaning they use some kerosene on a rag to clean wheels. Tried it on my gold FZ1 wheel and it wisks away grease like nothing else. Should this be okay long term? Thanks.

I wouldn't use it as a "clean-all". Sparingly for really nasty stuff, but that would be all. I prefer to care for my wheels with a dedicated wheel cleaner, usually the same stuff for cars, and also apply a wheel wax Wheel Wax. The wax makes it so the surface is smoother to keep crud off of it in the first place. It takes hardly any time at all to do this once every so often (maybe for me in the seasonal part of the country twice a year...April & July/August). The brake dust and gunk from the chain comes off in the wash every time without any difficulty.

Not a fan of something that isn't really made for that purpose...kerosene is a solvent, and as such would break down the surface at some point. Just like one shouldn't use dish soap to wash their cars/bikes, as that is not what it's made for...

I've read plenty of people using it, but I sure won't. To each their own, though.

I've been using WD40 to clean painted sport bike rims for years and never had an issue. Suspect kerosene is just as safe and less expensive. I wouldn't recommend it for daily use but once or twice a month for the heavy build up should be no problem. I use a damp rag and or spray detailer for light rim cleaning.

Last edited:
Kerosene is my FRIEND!!! Too bad it's a ton of money. 2-1/2 Gallons here in NY is $21.99. The good thing is that it will last you 3 or 4 years! I've been using it on my last three bikes and never had an issue with painted or powdercoated surfaces. Also, if you are worried, just clean the area with kerosene and once clean, just spray and wipe with a little soapy water to neutralize any ill effects.

There aren't any ill effects from kerosene on wheels/paint. I have been using jet fuel (same as kero, and free) to clean my chains on every bike I have ever owned, I finish by wiping the excess off the wheel with a rag that has the kerosene on it. It is a petroleum product and will not harm anything.

9.5 litres (2.5 Gallons) here is about $25 as well and seems good value compared to buying cans of WD-40 or especially cans of specialty chain cleaner

I use Kerosene. Use it sparingly by tipping the can while covering the opening with a rag. Do your best to keep it off the tires. Nothing cleans wheels better!

Is the kerosene you guy are talking about the same stuff that burns in heaters? is it the same as k1? i only ask because of the price. k1 can be got around here at the gas station for around $3.80 a gallon.

Is the kerosene you guy are talking about the same stuff that burns in heaters? is it the same as k1? i only ask because of the price. k1 can be got around here at the gas station for around $3.80 a gallon.

Yup. But I'm still on the same gallon with my third bike and my wife's 4th bike. :tup:

Been using kero to clean chain & back wheel for years on a GSXR with white rims.Even used it to clean chain wax/oil off lower fairing. Works a treat, make sure you clean the kero off with rag & hot water straight away though.

Kero works well on cleaning road tar off bikes and cars,I remember when people used to wash their cars etc with a cup or so of kero in about 15lts of warm water, they said it gave a good shine and also stopped surface rust? [Aussie]

Kerosene requires special handling and storage. It also is bad for the environment. Use PINE-SOL, it is a degreaser that works very well and is safe. It also will cleanup aluminum parts when soaked for a day or two. Be careful as it will rust steel parts that are soaked in it over time. For soaking use a 66% Pine Sol and 33% water mix in a plastic tub. Wear latex gloves, as it will dry out your shin, big time. We use it in restoring very old motorcycles.

Back