Oil light

Hello again, his there a sensor somewhere that i can check, cause my oil light lights up when i'm Driving the bike for more than 10mins!!!!! It stays on for about 1 min than go off for 15 mins and lights up again!!!!! I checked the oil level and it's right in the middle of the 2 dots!!!!! Can it be a sensor???????

Thanks from Montreal.

This is a known issue with these bikes. Fill it to the top dot and then take it for a test ride. If it still occurs fill it a little over the dot and you should be good. Some bikes like it at the top mark and others need a little more to keep the light from coming on.

This is a known issue with these bikes. Fill it to the top dot and then take it for a test ride. If it still occurs fill it a little over the dot and you should be good. Some bikes like it at the top mark and others need a little more to keep the light from coming on.

I would check oil pressure & see if its within normal limits per service manual.

I had a terrible experience with my yamaha vmax because of oil pressure loss due to poor O-ring sealing that ended up causing the engine to seize :(

I am new to the FZ1, have mine since March 2012, the oil light never came on with hard acceleration or at any time, the bike is stock, I fill the oil to the top of the sight glass leaving a little bubble of air at the top to confirm I didn't over fill it.

I would check oil pressure & see if its within normal limits per service manual.

I had a terrible experience with my yamaha vmax because of oil pressure loss due to poor O-ring sealing that ended up causing the engine to seize :(

I am new to the FZ1, have mine since March 2012, the oil light never came on with hard acceleration or at any time, the bike is stock, I fill the oil to the top of the sight glass leaving a little bubble of air at the top to confirm I didn't over fill it.

Is the light on the FZ a pressure light or only a level sensor???

I just had this happen four times in the last three days. I did a little research online, and the information that I've found says that the light is just an oil level sensor, not an oil pressure sensor like you would think.

There's a good thread on another FZ1 forum, read through this and see if it helps more:

Low oil pressure light! - FZ1OA Message Board

I felt a little better finding out that its an oil level light, not pressure, but I still don't feel good about riding around with a red light blinking on and off.

Woot, glad things look better for you Bumblebee! Mine's topped off and the light still comes on and off for a few miles here and there. But I've read about another guy having the light stay on for 120 miles before switching off, so I guess as long as I know the oil level is good I'll just ignore the light.

You guys must spend a lot of time with the front wheel in the air:cheerleader:
oil level sensor is in the front...just like my vmax and my xj550.
if not topped off they become irritating.

Update:

I did a oil change two weeks ago. Put in some Amsoil 10w40, instead of the 20w40 the previous owner had used. Couple hundred miles later and I haven't seen the light come on since then, and my oil level is right about in the middle of the two dots. Maybe something about the weather getting cold and switching to a thiner oil?

I think I'll be sticking with the 10w40 from now on. Living in Alaska and all, I think the thiner oil may work better.

Oh, and no wheelies :p

Update:

I did a oil change two weeks ago. Put in some Amsoil 10w40, instead of the 20w40 the previous owner had used. Couple hundred miles later and I haven't seen the light come on since then, and my oil level is right about in the middle of the two dots. Maybe something about the weather getting cold and switching to a thiner oil?

I think I'll be sticking with the 10w40 from now on. Living in Alaska and all, I think the thiner oil may work better.

Oh, and no wheelies :p

Awesome!!!! Now enjoy not having that red light coming on :cheers:

Back