Oil light question

went for a somewhat spirited ride this weekend. running through the hills on a warm day. revs were running between 7-9k for several miles. I just happened to look down at the dash and saw the oil light was on. clutch in and shut it down. looked in the sight glass and the oil was a little frothy, but that went away and I had plenty of oil. started the bike back up, and the oil light was off. it never came back on.

my fizzer is an '08 and i run Rotela t6 and have never had this happen before. i'm not sure what caused it and was wondering if anyone has ever had the same issue. during my search I found a thread where someone mentioned having the light come one during acceleration when the oil level was too low. I know my oil level was fine.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance fellas :cheers:

I had an oil light issue on cold mornings on a cold engine going through the first few corners from home. As the oil was still thick due to being cold it took a while for the oil to drain back down to the bottom of the engine where the oil level (not pressure) sensor is. Once the bike warmed up the problem went away. I also read on forums about the oil level causing this and mentioned it to the dealer when I took it in for it's service. They were able to re-create the issue in the shop by leaning the bike over on a cold engine and the issue went away once it warmed up. When they added extra oil to the max fill line the problem went away on a cold engine too.

went for a somewhat spirited ride this weekend. running through the hills on a warm day. revs were running between 7-9k for several miles. I just happened to look down at the dash and saw the oil light was on. clutch in and shut it down. looked in the sight glass and the oil was a little frothy, but that went away and I had plenty of oil. started the bike back up, and the oil light was off. it never came back on.

my fizzer is an '08 and i run Rotela t6 and have never had this happen before. i'm not sure what caused it and was wondering if anyone has ever had the same issue. during my search I found a thread where someone mentioned having the light come one during acceleration when the oil level was too low. I know my oil level was fine.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance fellas :cheers:

Hi, I've had this on a couple of Gen 1's and it's not uncommon if the oil drops by just a small amount, this is because the sensor for the oil light is very sensitive. Lots of guys including myself have had a heart stopping moment when this happens but a very small top up will cure the problem. Because your Gen 2 is basically the same engine I think this will apply also.

The oil light only indicates the amount of oil in the system and does NOT indicate pressure, so if the sight glass level is between the upper and lower marks when on the centerstand you are 'ok'. Sometimes the switch is very sensitive and if the real level is not up to the upper level line it may come on under hard acceleration or hard running. Just top up so the level is at the top line and you should solve the problem.

thanks for the replies. if anything the level might be a little over the upper line. i'm going to drain a little out so its perfect. someone mentioned that if it was overfilled, the crank might whip the oil and make it full of air bubbles. then the air bubbles might negatively affect the oil flow and trigger the light.

seemed to make sense, so i'll see what happens.

In my idea it could be a faulty oil sensor gauge that is the culprit. But before jumping to conclusion, make sure to check the oil level in a leveled road and bike centered stand.

Back