Oil leak from... Now with updated pic!!!

I would definitely do that but I'm nearly 1400 miles away in Fort Worth, TX. It is maddening that an $8 part and at such low mileage is causing us such an issue!

Oh... yeah... guess that's just a little too far!

Yeah, it was leaking when I bought it with just over 8k on it. I'm thinking that it must have sat unused for an extended period of time, allowing those rubber parts to start drying out...

Mine sat for a few years due to a massive amount of travel for work. Stuff piled up around it in the garage so was a hassle to get out when I had time. It ruined the fuel pump which I changed out a out 2.5 years ago. All has been good since then and over 12K miles until this.

I am still diagnosing to make sure it isn't coming from the oil level sensor. I just checked and one of the bolts wasn't fully tightened and it looked like it may have originated in that area. I've got everything completely clean now and will test it as soon as I can. It's pouring rain now and is supposed to continue the rest of the week.

I appreciate it! Unfortunately that was not it though. I rode it last night and there is oil coming out of the weep hole this morning. Looks like $177 at partzilla for parts to completely rebuild everything including bearings.

Yeah, if I had a lift and second set of eyes, I'd be much more inclined...

If so, how far are you from Winchester, VA? 🤣 We could tag team the bikes!

I won't say I'll be driving through Winchester Saturday around noon, but...

And if you think that is part of the oil / water pump combo - could it be a weep hole for the water pump to let the owner know the water pump shit the bed?

I appreciate it! Unfortunately that was not it though. I rode it last night and there is oil coming out of the weep hole this morning. Looks like $177 at partzilla for parts to completely rebuild everything including bearings.

Are you replacing every o-ring and seal? I figure I'll let my mechanic decide. He's a pretty thorough guy, so I trust his judgement...

I won't say I'll be driving through Winchester Saturday around noon, but...

And if you think that is part of the oil / water pump combo - could it be a weep hole for the water pump to let the owner know the water pump shit the bed?

Saturday I'll be "coaching" my oldest daughter through changing out the tie rod ends on her Element, but if you are interested in stopping by I'm always up for meeting fellow riders! Let me know and I can give you my address.

Yes, the weep hole is for that but, from what I've read, it would be leaking coolant if the water pump were bad. My hope is that it's just some o-rings and seals...

Are you replacing every o-ring and seal? I figure I'll let my mechanic decide. He's a pretty thorough guy, so I trust his judgement...

Saturday I'll be "coaching" my oldest daughter through changing out the tie rod ends on her Element, but if you are interested in stopping by I'm always up for meeting fellow riders! Let me know and I can give you my address.

Yes, the weep hole is for that but, from what I've read, it would be leaking coolant if the water pump were bad. My hope is that it's just some o-rings and seals...

Do you have a factory service manual for the element.. because I do.

In fact, because I don't need it anymore, I'm going to bring it with me now

I also have a new Walker cat, and the complete front inner fender liner set available
download (3).jpeg

Last edited:
Are you replacing every o-ring and seal? I figure I'll let my mechanic decide. He's a pretty thorough guy, so I trust his judgment...

That makes sense but since I am doing it myself and I don't want to do it again I am going to completely rebuild both pumps. A bit more money but hopefully means it lasts for a while without having to open it up again.

Right. It looks like if the oil seal fails then oil comes out the weep hole. If the mechanical seal fails then coolant comes out.

That makes sense but since I am doing it myself and I don't want to do it again I am going to completely rebuild both pumps. A bit more money but hopefully means it lasts for a while without having to open it up again.

It looks like if the oil seal fails then oil comes out the weep hole. If the mechanical seal fails then coolant comes out.

Man, going on 3 weeks without riding and it's freaking killing me!

My worry is that my oil analysis noted it had really high sodium levels, indicating some coolant contamination. If this falls into my "Typical" category, then I have no doubt something else is wrong as well...

Man, going on 3 weeks without riding and it's freaking killing me!

My worry is that my oil analysis noted it had really high sodium levels, indicating some coolant contamination. If this falls into my "Typical" category, then I have no doubt something else is wrong as well...

That would kill me too! Fortunately the FJR is up and running so I'm still able to ride. It's due for the next valve clearance check but it's going to have to wait until I finish the FZ1.

I understand the "Typical" category well. Some coolant getting back into the oil wouldn't be surprising at this stage. The oil you had analyzed was from a dump after draining the whole oil pan or from the oil leaking? In any case I bet your only issue is these 2 seals. Some oil contamination may have caused some premature wear but probably not a lot. Hopefully the case for both of us!

... I don't want to do it again I am going to completely rebuild both pumps. A bit more money but hopefully means it lasts for a while without having to open it up again.

Now you've got me considering this. Would love to have every part needed for my guy when he gets started so he can get it fixed asap. At the same time, don't want to buy parts that aren't needed... :confused:

I shouldn't have sold my little supermoto last year... :(

Parts arrived yesterday (5/20) and I had taken the bike apart and pulled the pump assembly the night before. I got it finished up today and took it for a bit over a hundred mile test ride. Not overheating and does not seem to be leaking water or oil. Will check it again tomorrow morning and make sure it hasn't sprung any leaks. 😁

How is your bike coming?

Parts arrived yesterday (5/20) and I had taken the bike apart and pulled the pump assembly the night before. I got it finished up today and took it for a bit over a hundred mile test ride. Not overheating and does not seem to be leaking water or oil. Will check it again tomorrow morning and make sure it hasn't sprung any leaks. 😁

How is your bike coming?

Nice! Glad to hear that but also a little jealous! I spent the weekend trying to stay busy and not hear the various bikes rolling past my house on a gorgeous weekend...

10 days ago, I ordered the o-rings/gaskets that I think are most likely to need replaced and they should be here today. Not sure why they took so freakin' long to ship out but that doesn't really matter because... all 3 shops I'm waiting on have too much work! I texted my main guy early last week and he said he thought he'd be able to get me in on Thu or Fri but no luck so far.

More than a few questions for you:
Were you able to leave the clutch in place?
Were you able to tell which parts were the problem?
Did you work from the floor or do you have a lift?
When you dropped the pan, did the little 'weep hole' tube come out with it?

I noticed that, even with the oil drained, I still have a tiny bit of oil coming from the weep hole. I'm considering dropping the pan and at least replacing the o-rings on that little tube but am a bit fearful that it'll drop, change orientation, or otherwise move before I can see exactly what's what, and I won't be able to get it back in place...

Last edited:
Nice! Glad to hear that but also a little jealous! I spent the weekend trying to stay busy and not hear the various bikes rolling past my house on a gorgeous weekend...

10 days ago, I ordered the o-rings/gaskets that I think are most likely to need replaced and they should be here today. Not sure why they took so freakin' long to ship out but that doesn't really matter because... all 3 shops I'm waiting on have too much work! I texted my main guy early last week and he said he thought he'd be able to get me in on Thu or Fri but no luck so far.

More than a few questions for you:

I noticed that, even with the oil drained, I still have a tiny bit of oil coming from the weep hole. I'm considering dropping the pan and at least replacing the o-rings on that little tube but am a bit fearful that it'll drop, change orientation, or otherwise move before I can see exactly what's what, and I won't be able to get it back in place...

Yes, it took quite a bit of time for the parts to ship. The o ring for the oil level sensor was the only part not in stock and it showed that it would ship in 2-3 days. I think that was part of my delay.

Just checked this morning and no oil coming from the weep hole or anywhere else. Coolant level appears the same as well. 😁

Here are the answers to your questions:

Yes, I unbolted the sprocket and took the pump assembly out. Putting it back in is the trickier part. I marked a line on the sprocket and the case of the pump so that I could get the sprocket in the chain where it would align with the "key" of the shaft. I did not have as much trouble with this as I thought I might. There isn't much clearance to get the bolt back in but didn't really have to spend too much time with it. For sure it was way easier than pulling the clutch.

I am quite sure the oil seal had failed. There is some evidence the mechanical seal was also leaking some coolant. Both have been replaced.

I worked from the floor. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I was able to reach in to do everything without much difficulty. Once again the most difficult part was the sprocket bolt but a lift would not have made this any easier.

Yes, the service manual seems to call this the drain tube and it came out attached to the oil pan. I changed these o rings as well as all the others. I put the tube back in the weep hole on the oil pan on reassembly and carefully guided it into the hole on the pump assembly. It seemed like it would be easier this way. Additionally, it seemed like it would be less likely to leak this way. If it isn't inserted into the oil pan well then oil will leak as oil is all around this area. On the top side in the assembly there shouldn't be any coolant or oil there unless there is a seal failure. Anyway, that is how I did it.

Overall the job went pretty smoothly. If we lived closer I would definitely help you do your bike!

Yes, it took quite a bit of time for the parts to ship. The o ring for the oil level sensor was the only part not in stock and it showed that it would ship in 2-3 days. I think that was part of my delay.

Just checked this morning and no oil coming from the weep hole or anywhere else. Coolant level appears the same as well. 😁

Here are the answers to your questions:

Yes, I unbolted the sprocket and took the pump assembly out. Putting it back in is the trickier part. I marked a line on the sprocket and the case of the pump so that I could get the sprocket in the chain where it would align with the "key" of the shaft. I did not have as much trouble with this as I thought I might. There isn't much clearance to get the bolt back in but didn't really have to spend too much time with it. For sure it was way easier than pulling the clutch.

I am quite sure the oil seal had failed. There is some evidence the mechanical seal was also leaking some coolant. Both have been replaced.

I worked from the floor. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I was able to reach in to do everything without much difficulty. Once again the most difficult part was the sprocket bolt but a lift would not have made this any easier.

Yes, the service manual seems to call this the drain tube and it came out attached to the oil pan. I changed these o rings as well as all the others. I put the tube back in the weep hole on the oil pan on reassembly and carefully guided it into the hole on the pump assembly. It seemed like it would be easier this way. Additionally, it seemed like it would be less likely to leak this way. If it isn't inserted into the oil pan well then oil will leak as oil is all around this area. On the top side in the assembly there shouldn't be any coolant or oil there unless there is a seal failure. Anyway, that is how I did it.

Overall the job went pretty smoothly. If we lived closer I would definitely help you do your bike!

Just heard from my main mechanic yesterday and he can get the bike in... next week. Better late than never but, man, I was hoping to have it for the upcoming weekend.

Will update once my guy gets in there and gives me his findings...

Just heard from my main mechanic yesterday and he can get the bike in... next week. Better late than never but, man, I was hoping to have it for the upcoming weekend.

Will update once my guy gets in there and gives me his findings...

Glad to hear he can get to it next week. It is unfortunate you don't have it for the long weekend though!

Glad to hear he can get to it next week. It is unfortunate you don't have it for the long weekend though!

So, I'm trying to "prep" the bike as best I can (hoping it'll save a little money!) and am wondering: did you unplug the oil level sensor or did you remove it from the bottom of the pan? I lifted the tank trying to trace the wire but it is zip tied to a large bundle and I don't want to snip that if I don't have to!

I really appreciate the help!

So, I'm trying to "prep" the bike as best I can (hoping it'll save a little money!) and am wondering: did you unplug the oil level sensor or did you remove it from the bottom of the pan? I lifted the tank trying to trace the wire but it is zip tied to a large bundle and I don't want to snip that if I don't have to!

I really appreciate the help!

I did not disconnect it. I took it out of the oil pan and zip tied it out of the way. Same with the O2 sensor.

Good luck!

Back