Oil filter

So I'm changing my oil today since it's close to 4000 miles, I forgot to buy a filter on Friday and the manual calls for every other change anyway. My question is: Any harm in removing/draining and re-installing the same oil filter?

facepalm_Facepalm-s750x600-42866-580.jpg

LOL!!! Change the filter dude.

^ You obviously missed the question. FYI the filter is not required to be changed every oil change.

Well it really doesn't matter now, Ive already changed the oil and reinstalled the filter.

Last edited:
Change the filter then cut apart old filter and see what you find. It might surprise you what kind of junk you find in there.

It's been pretty much stardard practice as long as I've been doing oil changes, whether I did them myself or took my vehicle to a dealer or quick oil change, to do the filter along with the oil. For the few bucks it takes to change the filter, it's worth the effort.

Yea I normally do everytime, it isn't a matter of money. It's Sunday and if the dealer was open I'd get a filter. I get everyone's comment, "HOWEVER" since the manufaturer says the filter is to be changed every 8000 miles, I think I'm fine.
If someone here is more informed please enlighten me. On another note someone here used a supertech WM filter in the past. Can someone post that P/N so I can pick up 4 of those things and keep.

Even though the manual says 'every other time', dealers will tell you to change the filter every oil change, even if you are doing it yourself. They argue with Yamaha Corp about this but they don't get anywhere with it. Will it kill the engine? No. But I change the filter each time, and use synthetic oil too.

IMO, if for no other reason, change the filter just to keep that nice clean new oil from getting dirty from going through the dirty filter.

Many years ago when I was a service tech., I can remember an old timer telling me that changing the oil without changing the filter is like taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on LOL. That has always stuck with me and I will probably never forget it.............funny, but true, I think.

Hi. I'm new here but i was reading your posts for a while.
Last weekend I performed my first oil change in my 2011 FZ1S (with only 50km). I checked the old oil in the pan and cut the oil filter to see how the things was in there.
Here are the pictures.

open oil filter & oil pan

oil Filter (see big metal particles stuck in)

Oil pan Backlighted (full of metal particles)

Oil pan normal view (pictures with flash)

I doubt he is doing any harm to anything.
If the manual states to change it every other time, then I'd say Yamaha's engineers know a lot more about these engines than us Internet warriors do.

Personally I change it every time but if the manual states every other oil change then you will be fine.

I agree with you Ballmead. But if you are not going to replace the filter you would just leave it on the engine.

Well it really doesn't matter now, Ive already changed the oil and reinstalled the filter.

I want to know how gtbigup01 got it off and back on without destroying the thing.

I agree with you Ballmead. But if you are not going to replace the filter you would just leave it on the engine.

I want to know how gtbigup01 got it off and back on without destroying the thing.

I agree if your not going to change it dont take it out and youll be fine

I just did my oil/filter change and it came out np without any damage

I doubt he is doing any harm to anything.
If the manual states to change it every other time, then I'd say Yamaha's engineers know a lot more about these engines than us Internet warriors do.

Personally I change it every time but if the manual states every other oil change then you will be fine.

This is the philosophy I tend to follow too :)

Yamaha and other vehicle Engineers know that the motorcycle will last well beyond the Warranty, or even several owners before showing signs of wear or lacking in performance. And by that time, they will have been long since forgotten about, or the bike may have crashed, etc. So from a profit and loss standpoint, they come out just fine. Also, the Marketing people can tout reduced maintenance costs due to less frequent filter changes, and somebody might think that is attractive and be more inclined to purchase their product.

So for the short run, let's say up to 30,000 miles, it may be cost effective to change the filter every other time. But the oil will be dirtier than if the filter is changed every time, and eventually will cause more engine wear, resulting in greater bearing clearances, noisy operation, valve stem wear, camshaft and related component wear, loss of compression, etc.

Personally, I try to do everything possible to minimize wear and keep things in top condition. I am also the type who keeps vehicles for a long time, which results in a lower overall cost of ownership. (I sold my BMW 535i car recently with near 300,000 miles on it. It still ran great. Never had the engine apart).

I recommend changing the filter every time. Just my $0.02.

Back