Oil Filter Question

Hi, all, I'm doing my usual overly-anal break-in procedure, with oil changes at 100,600, 1000 miles. A couple of quick questions:

Is it usual for the Yam 5GH-134440-20 filters to come without plastic over the open end? I bought some online (yeah) and they are genuine Made in Japan Denso and look pristine. But no plastic! The Denso filters I used to get for my Honda always had plastic, but no box. These come in a box, but they are still vulnerable to humidity without the plastic. I'm wondering if I should use them.

Also, I bought KN-204s, super easy to use on this bike but a bit shorter than the OEM ones. I had always heard that KN were good quality, but these are MIC and I'm wondering if they switched to cheaper manufacturing and also cheapened the quality. Are any of you long-time users of these 204s; have you noticed any degrading of quality?

I had to use my breaker bar to get the drain bolt out the first time. Someone at the factory needs to get laid. 30 ft pounds, hell it was more like 50. And 30 is ambitious.

My 2 cents, I would not worry about it not having a plastic cover on the filter. The amount of moisture absorbed would be insignificant IMHO, and will evaporate IF there was anything the first time you ride the bike after the oil change.

Like the others said I wouldn't worry about the plastic not being on there. I would think it's more to keep dust and other contaminants out of it than actual moisture.

I prefer to use the K&N 303 filters. A little longer than the 204 and it fits pretty much all my other bikes so that's what I usually stock up on.

Thanks, guys, so far no leaks or complaints. I did fill a bit higher in the window (the storied "bubble"); don't know if that's just a Gen 1 thing. I'll check my airbox for any nasty blow-by. That's an interesting thing about the KN 303s, NJFZ1 -- there is certainly a lot of room before hitting the headers with the KN 204s.

Thanks, guys, so far no leaks or complaints. I did fill a bit higher in the window (the storied "bubble"); don't know if that's just a Gen 1 thing. I'll check my airbox for any nasty blow-by. That's an interesting thing about the KN 303s, NJFZ1 -- there is certainly a lot of room before hitting the headers with the KN 204s.

The KN-303 is only about 10mm longer than the KN-204 according to the K&N website so fitment is not an issue. My other bikes use the KN-303 as well so that's what I run on all of them w/o any issues.

Killer deal on them right here if you buy enough to qualify for the free shipping (I just bought 8 of them):

K N Oil Filter KN303 | eBay

Several bikes will take the 204 or 303. I don't ride enough to even use all of the 204 I just change every year because.
I know the zx10, R1,R6,Vulcan 900 all take a 204. I'm sure others do also.

Back