oil consumation any advice ?

hello ! I got the bike since 2 summers,last summer I did a full carb tune and ajustement but if I pay for ajusting the valves will it make the bike taking less oil ... ? because my friend took my bike and when I follow my bike its smell like an old cheap honda civic on the dragstrip lol!:disapproval: I have to add about 1/2liter of oil every like 1500kms or more :frown:

Sounds like excessive blowby past the rings. Could possibly be valve stem seals which is more likely if it is a low mileage motor.

You didn't say if it actually smoked. There are several maintenance jobs that could be done to provide a clue as to the problem. I'd start with a compresssion check and a leak down test on the head/valves. Depending on the mileage and how well it was taken care of you could have worn rings/cylinder walls and worn valve seats/valve faces. Just a bad smell can be from a really rich mixture. Depending on how bad the situation is and how much you can afford to do, the options are wide open.

What kind of oil are you using? I found when I used motil it did have oil consumption till around 3000km on oil then had to top it up every few hundred km's. Last oil change used Shell Rotalla and have to top it up after about 1000km. I ride pretty hard so maybe the cheaper oil breaks down faster?

Back