Oil Change .Question for all you experts ( do or not do)

Oil and filters are relatively cheap. I change mine every 3000 miles and regardless of the miles, change it before parking for the winter. Change it and ride this trip with Peace-of-Mind that you're safe.

You can NEVER change your oil too often, but you can certainly screw up the bike if you don't! ;) Git R' Dun!!!

peace of mind does go a long way during a ride. you want to enjoy it, not think should i have changed my oil. If you are thinking about it now have the ability and time. I would just change it. have to eventually anyway.

urban myth or not if you carry a factory warranty still on your fz1 and Yamaha sees you switched between full synthetic and blend they will and have canceled warranty requests.

I don't believe that for a second. If it's true, just another reason not to get raped for the cost of a new bike.

First .. I'm no expert :)

I did many tests over the years on different vehicles .. what I can tell you .. 6 months change is complete bs... oil molecules being destroyed by the mc gearbox all BS...it's heat cycles,overheating and carbon residue that kills the oil along other factors .. so if you ride only highway at decent speeds you could actually double the oil change intervals and the engine will still be protected.

Most interesting test.. C klasse mercedes with one oil change +50k miles, mazda pick-up diesel ~80k with the factory oil !!!!

I also worked a few months for an oil testing facility.. most stuff you hear about oil is just myth.

I'm not saying to never change the oil , motorcycles do kill the oil a lot faster than cars do.

Most important is to choose the right oil for the climate you live in , hot 10w-50 or 15w50 , cold 10-40 will do but 5w-40 won't hurt a bit.
Another thing is you must know your bike, feel how it changes gears , how it starts and what noises are normal and what is from shot oil.

p.s. I run only full syn in my bikes and cars (I care about)
change or not.. have fun on your trip and take pix for us !

urban myth or not if you carry a factory warranty still on your fz1 and Yamaha sees you switched between full synthetic and blend they will and have canceled warranty requests. doesn't matter what we think, matters what the manufacturer thinks. If you no longer or didn't purchase Yamaha Y.E.S. program than feel free to go back and forth. but why risk it?

Perhaps your dealer has their own opinion of it but no, your warranty is still valid so long as the oil, dino or synthetic, meets or exceeds the manual's stated standards. No company can legally refuse your warranty if those standards are met period. Now if you throw in the wrong spec oil, regardless of what the origin of it is, you will void your warranty. Synthetic or not makes zero difference.

A lot of new motors come standard from the factory with full synthetic used from the moment it was built.

And, take a look at the sites themselves:

Castrol USA - Synthetic Motor Oils: Myths vs. Facts
Synthetic Oil | Frequently Asked Questions
Valvoline.com > Car Care > Motor Oil Myths

Yamaha even sells their own branded full synthetic. They are not going to deny you "so long as you use spec oils."

It depends how you ride as well. Even with my RC51, I still change the oil every 1-2k miles. And that fairing isnt fun to get off and on. I ride it hard. Those high-revs wear on that oil faster. I mean why cheap out on the most important part, the heart of your bike.

Oil change and fuel thread opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. I've seen people say they change oil/filter at less than 1,000 mi, or swear a particular brand of fuel makes it run better. Most of them can be taken with a grain of salt, just use your common sense. I've been driving for over 45 years and have never had any engine problem due to oil or fuel issues. As long as things are topped up and changed occasionally you are good to go.

I may be dumb, but I don't ride my bike very hard (most if the time) and I'm paying extra for full synthetic Mobil 1 4T, and I'm letting mine go for around 5k between changes. I always change oil and filter together. I did every 3k earlier, but I'm counting on the full synthetic to hold up longer. I don't think my engine will seize up on me. I'll let you know if it does.

I just had a look at my Aussie FZ1N owners manual and it states to change the oil every 6000 miles or 10,000 klms. (there's nothing in there saying "or 6 months")

If Yamaha's engineers recommend this, then that's good enough for me.

EDIT: This is for a Gen II FZ1N, sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
I just had a look at my Aussie FZ1N owners manual and it states to change the oil every 6000 miles or 10,000 klms. (there's nothing in there saying "or 6 months")

If Yamaha's engineers recommend this, then that's good enough for me.

I find that hard to believe. My bike starts to act a little cranky after about 4-5000 miles without a change of the oil. Shifting is a little stickier. Our service manual in the states for 2009 says to change every 4,000 miles or 6 months.

I find that hard to believe. My bike starts to act a little cranky after about 4-5000 miles without a change of the oil. Shifting is a little stickier. Our service manual in the states for 2009 says to change every 4,000 miles or 6 months.

EDIT: This is for a 2010 Gen II FZ1N, sorry for any confusion.

Believe this! Section 7 (Periodic Maintenance and Adjustment) page 5

The Aussie FZ1N is serviced every 10,000 klm.

Quote" The annual checks must be performed every year, except if a kilometer-based, or for the UK, a mileage-based maintenance, is performed instead"

Last edited:
perhaps your dealer has their own opinion of it but no, your warranty is still valid so long as the oil, dino or synthetic, meets or exceeds the manual's stated standards. No company can legally refuse your warranty if those standards are met period. Now if you throw in the wrong spec oil, regardless of what the origin of it is, you will void your warranty. Synthetic or not makes zero difference.

A lot of new motors come standard from the factory with full synthetic used from the moment it was built.

And, take a look at the sites themselves:

castrol usa - synthetic motor oils: Myths vs. Facts
synthetic oil | frequently asked questions
valvoline.com > car care > motor oil myths

yamaha even sells their own branded full synthetic. They are not going to deny you "so long as you use spec oils."

that sounds all fine and dandy, but i work in a yamaha dealership and this is straight from our yamaha reps mouth. Like i said i don't necessarily believe that you shouldn't switch back and forth, but yamaha does. Even states in all yamaha owners and service manuals to use yamaha oil, they fall back on that. Trust me they will find their way out of any warranty job if they can. I will look in the service history today at work and let you know the exact scenario this happened. But i agree, if you no longer have factory warranty. Don't worry about it. I've used many different oils in my susuki sv650.

Oil is cheap and changing it regularly is one of the best things you cAn do to maintain your bike. I am not interested in getting every bit of life out of oil I can. I am interested in keeping my bike running smoothly. Why would you wait until you are already feeling the ill effects of old oil before you do the change?

One person's cheap could be another's "Damn!". sure it's cheap enough and if you aren't riding frequently then you probably should do more frequent intervals. I started extending interval when I was riding a lot more and 3K came every month.

Yeah, an oil thread.

Honestly if you have oil in the motor you're good. Most of us get a new bike every few years so it doesn't matter.

Here's some food for thought, the Army doesn't change oil. They send it out for analysis, change/clean the filter and add oil as required.

Also the airfilter has more to do with keeping oil clean than the oil filter.

Lastly my 02 Carrera has an oil change interval of 18, 000 miles.

My Ape is changed once a year. Good enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

that sounds all fine and dandy, but i work in a yamaha dealership and this is straight from our yamaha reps mouth. Like i said i don't necessarily believe that you shouldn't switch back and forth, but yamaha does. Even states in all yamaha owners and service manuals to use yamaha oil, they fall back on that. Trust me they will find their way out of any warranty job if they can. I will look in the service history today at work and let you know the exact scenario this happened. But i agree, if you no longer have factory warranty. Don't worry about it. I've used many different oils in my susuki sv650.

haha, no... Sorry but you are still wrong. For one, its against the law. They do not require you to use Yamaha oil, they cannot by law. You can use any oil and switch all you want as long as it meets their required specifications.

What dealership do you work at, so people can stay away from it...?

haha, no... Sorry but you are still wrong. For one, its against the law. They do not require you to use Yamaha oil, they cannot by law. You can use any oil and switch all you want as long as it meets their required specifications.

What dealership do you work at, so people can stay away from it...?

Fluids are one of the main reason they void warranties. manufacturer specified fluids can be required, but No need to get nasty, we're all fellow riders here. we send in the request Yamaha denies not us. Yamaha does good also though. they do the most good will out of them, honda, suzuki, polaris, and kawasaki which we carry. like someone already said though. oil preferences and opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one. lets agree to disagree and get out and enjoy the roads.

Back