Oil Change after tank of injector cleaner

I have a 2006 Fz1 with 20,000 miles on it. I ran a botttle of injector cleaner through a tank. Rode for about 20miles and parked for the night. When I stasrted it up the next morning I could hear a tick sound until it got warm. After it was warm it went away. It has never made this tick sound before now. I was thinking i should change the oil and filter thinking that maybe it have gotten contaminated with some junk from the injectors.

Any thoughts would be great!

I have a 2006 Fz1 with 20,000 miles on it. I ran a botttle of injector cleaner through a tank. Rode for about 20miles and parked for the night. When I stasrted it up the next morning I could hear a tick sound until it got warm. After it was warm it went away. It has never made this tick sound before now. I was thinking i should change the oil and filter thinking that maybe it have gotten contaminated with some junk from the injectors.

Any thoughts would be great!

What I think is that you now have cleaned all carbon deposits from all the valves and can now hear some ticking. Once the oil rises up through the valleys it goes away. No big deal. If you are in order for an oil change go right ahead but I don't think it will change anything.

What I think is that you now have cleaned all carbon deposits from all the valves and can now hear some ticking. Once the oil rises up through the valleys it goes away. No big deal. If you are in order for an oil change go right ahead but I don't think it will change anything.

Do the oil change and get rid of the contaminants. You don’t want all those carbon deposits floating around in your oil……ikk. :nono:

Do the oil change and get rid of the contaminants. You don’t want all those carbon deposits floating around in your oil……ikk. :nono:

I'm not sure but I thought he had put the cleaner in the gas tank and not the crankcase. I would think that going through the injectors would only have loose deposits blown out the exhaust. They shouldn't make their way into the oil system unless I'm mistaken. I've been known to be wrong occasionally.:nerd:

I'm not sure but I thought he had put the cleaner in the gas tank and not the crankcase. I would think that going through the injectors would only have loose deposits blown out the exhaust. They shouldn't make their way into the oil system unless I'm mistaken. I've been known to be wrong occasionally.:nerd:

Well injector cleaner will not only loosen deposits in the injector, but also in the valves, piston rings and the rest of the combustion chamber. Don't know how "dirty" the inside of his engine was, but it's very possible that some of the carbon that was loosen has made it into the oil. An oil change would be the prudent thing to do at this point.

p.s. I only use some sort of injector/fuel system cleaner in the last tank of gas right before I change the oil. This applies to both the bike and the car.

Last edited:
I am an ASE Certified Master mechanic and ASE Certified Master Machinist and I would recommend changing the oil after running injector cleaner through the bike if you have any suspicions of deposits in any way. It is cheap to change the oil compared to an engine rebuild as a result of either broken down oil or solid particles making their way into the oiling system. Anything that is cleaned or broken loose by the cleaner can find its way past the rings and into the oil. A portion of what is cleaned comes from the ringlands in the pistons themselves. The only place that stuff has to go is down. Just my professional opinion!

The ticking you are hearing is probably from the valve clearance and could possibly be a result of the oil thinning down from the cleaner. Nothing to worry about as long as it goes away after an oil change or two and doesn't continue when hot. If it hasn't been done, it may be time for a valve adjustment also.

Last edited:
It is possible that the valves had accumulated enough carbon over a 20,000 mile period to make it sound a little different if the injector cleaner did in fact burn it all off and therefore increase the valve clearance a bit. One thing to be careful about when using such fuel additives is to make sure your are using the amount that was intended for a certain amount of fuel. If the injector cleaner was meant for a tank of fuel in a car or truck (20-50 gals. fuel) then when adding it to a much smaller tank (4-5 gal.) you wouldn't want to add a whole can. Make sure that the ratio of additive to fuel is correct.

Update

I noticed a change in the shifting that went from ok to not so good. I changed the oil after work one night. It was not very good looking. It was not only dark but it almost had a moss color when i look through it as it came out of the drain.

rode a few miles and the shifting it much much better. I may run the oil for a couple of hundred miles and change it again.

Also the filter was very heavy. Not the normal weight of a filter with oil in it.

Thanks for all the imput. Ride safe.

Back