Oil change $145

I did get out and ride with my buddy yesterday to get his oil changed. Cost? $145. He has an Electraglide He got four qts of engine oil, a filter, about a Qt. in the transfer case and a couple gaskets. The labor was $55 for an hour (not too bad). So....the next time you think you just got screwed, think of my friend (he's 62 by the way).

depending on the gaskets and whatnot... it may not be too bad of a deal.... but this sounds like a bit more than a regular oil change....

For a regular oil change though... he should be doing it himself... It's a Harley... it doesn't even take motorcycle oil... you can just go to your local autoparts store and get whatever is cheap.

I did get out and ride with my buddy yesterday to get his oil changed. Cost? $145. He has an Electraglide He got four qts of engine oil, a filter, about a Qt. in the transfer case and a couple gaskets. The labor was $55 for an hour (not too bad). So....the next time you think you just got screwed, think of my friend (he's 62 by the way).

Did he use the HD "Syn 3" oil at $10.95 a quart? What a ripp-off.

I don't see what the big deal is, that is about what the local Yamaha dealer charges for their regularly scheduled oil changes on all sport bikes. Oh, but they also clean and lube the chain.:innocent:

I'm sure it was the Syn 3. O the newer Harleys you have to remove the transfer case cover to replace the fluid and then put a new gasket on which is expensive. He used to do his own changes but now prefers to have the dealer do it. One reason is getting rid of the old oil. I'm lucky in that I have a friend who works for a place that uses old oil to fuel their heating furnace so I get rid of it the right way and for free.

I'm sure it was the Syn 3. O the newer Harleys you have to remove the transfer case cover to replace the fluid and then put a new gasket on which is expensive. He used to do his own changes but now prefers to have the dealer do it. One reason is getting rid of the old oil. I'm lucky in that I have a friend who works for a place that uses old oil to fuel their heating furnace so I get rid of it the right way and for free.

Any jiffy lube will take old oil lol. kinda different having to take the transfer case apart no wonder they get big bucks for that change.

Just about any of the major auto parts stores take used motor oil in free of charge. It isn't really that difficult to get rid of. And like Etroze mentioned, so will JiffyLube as well most any other oil changing places.

I think the Harley owners buy oil changes, but they include full service type oil changes so they check and replace whatever has fallen out/off since the last oil change.

One of them was telling me he buys them in 6-packs for like $850. but that includes air filters, brake fluid, .... everything to keep the maintenance schedule. They just use the oil change to get people to come back in, in time.

Back