Ohlins Shock YA906 Installed

mikeswe

Mounted the shock today, there where no problems, even without an assistant. I actually ordered the YA628 unit (no ABS) but I got the YA906 (ABS) instead. The only difference I can see is that the YA906 has a shorter hose to the compression reservoir to be mounted on the left side, the YA628 has it under the seat, where there is room if you dont have the ABS control unit. I don't mind having it on the left side, it looks good.

I loosened the bracket holding the rectifier/charger unit and routed the preload hose over it. It makes the hose take a nice rounded path without any kinks (see pics).

Now I have to go for a testride, with brand new tires also (Dunlop Q2). One thing I should have done is to measure the free sag before and after, but I forgot. I think it is equal to the stock unit. Shock length is 320.5mm, spring rate 120N/mm.

Last edited:
I too am in the process of obtaining a Penske for the Gen I --

Was it ordered according to a general spec, or were you able to have someone curtail to fit your weight and style of riding.

Either way it is still a quality unit. :tup:

Adam

I too am in the process of obtaining a Penske for the Gen I --

Was it ordered according to a general spec, or were you able to have someone curtail to fit your weight and style of riding.

It is a general setup, which usually fits perfect for my weight (82kg currently) and my riding style. If you have special requirements they can provide different setup of course.

As you can see it's the rear fairing that limits how high you can put the preload adj and comp reservoir. If you don't need passenger footpegs you can mount the brackets in the front mount, which should make them sit more tucked in to the rear subframe and look even better. The preload adj bracket could be shorter by at least 10mm, I think I will modify that one. I will also check if it's possible to mount the comp adj under the seat.

Nice job. Please feed back on the handling improvement. Brohay, same for you once u installed the Penske. A new rearshock together with new thicker oil in frontforks is also on my xmas wish-list...

Very nice job Mike. I know it's gonna make a huge improvement in the handling dept. Let us know how it feels.

It feels good. I knew that it would. ;)

It's like dragging your rear end in milk and honey. It feels smooth, like if the road surface is smoother. It's not a huge improvement in handling. The stock shock is pretty good. The spring rate and height is the same.

Back