Ohlins FGRT 206, any one installed them?

Hi guys,

I've been looking at putting a set of Ohlins FGRT 206 forks on my Gen II. Has anyone done this yet? If so are they a direct swap or do I need to buy new fender or anything else?

I've seen people have been putting the R1 forks onto the FZ1, but no reference to these forks other than the pics on the Abarth version.

I know they are shorter then the stock FZ forks, but that doesn't bother me.

Cheers
Jason

I have found a set of Ohlins FG 43 forks for the R1, has anyone had any experience with these? I'm trying to find out the main differences between them and the FGRT 206 but all the references for Ohlins forks are the current model specs. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks for your feedback over on the other forum.

I have the front brakes and axle sorted, ordered some Rizoma parts to mount the brake fluid reservoir & mirror (conversion is going on a naked bike, so need a mirror mount on the R1 brake lever mount). I also ordered some Rizoma grips while I was at it.

Forks will be ordered in the new year, then the fun begins.

Ok guys, The job is done. This is what I learnt along the way, both from other posts and my own findings.

This is for a post 2009 R1 fork conversion or Ohlins FGRT 206 conversion on a naked bike.

Parts needed

FGRT 206 forks (2009 or later R1 forks)
2009 or later R1 front fender (I got a 2009 fender as the colour was a direct match for my bike, pearl white)
R1 calipers
R1 master cylinder
R1 rotors (or 5mm spacers)
New FZ1 brake lines with 65mm extension on master cylinder line (good excuse to go braided)
Rizoma fluid reservoir mount (CT451B)
Rizoma mirror adapter (BS770B)
Rizoma mirrors

Brake and Mirror setup

If you use the stock master cylinder instead of the R1 master cylinder you don't need the extended brake line or use aftermarket mirrors and mirror adaptors, but the reservoir is a different volume. The reason for the length difference is that the banjo fitting on the R1 MC is 65mm further out on the bar than the FZ1 MC. If you cut your bars down a lot you could get away with it, but not a good idea.

I was told the FZ1 lines would fit, but for me they were too short, different years may have different length cables and the S and N versions may be different. My bike is the 2010 FZ1N (Australia).

Because the R1 master cylinder doesn't have a mounting location for mirrors, and I run a naked bike, I had to buy the Rizoma mirror adaptor to mount my mirror to. If you go bar end mirrors you don't need this item. Due to the Rizoma mirror adaptor having a right hand thread and the FZ1 right hand mirror having a left hand thread I had to also by after market mirrors and mirror mounts (I chose the Rizoma 744s, mirror mounts are sold separately).

The R1 has the fluid reservoir mounted to the front of the top triple clamp which is not an option on the FZ1 (the control panel is in the way, and it's too low). To overcome this I bought the Rizoma reservoir mount and mounted it clamped between the brake housing and the Rizoma mirror adaptor. I had to use a different (longer) bolt to mount the reservoir to the mount and made sure I used loctite on all the nuts & screws.

R1 calipers are needed as the FGRT 206 has back mounting bolts instead of the FZ1 side mount bolts. Plus you get 6 pot brakes instead of 4.

R1 rotors are 310mm diameter while the FZ1 has 320mm rotors. You can either have 5mm spacers with flanges machined up to match the counter sinks in the forks and calipers, or buy the smaller rotors. I have access to a lathe so had the spacers machined up, plus I like my aftermarket rotors.

Fender

The FZ1 fender has the mounting holes 20mm lower than the latest R1 fender which the FGRT 206 are designed for, so the stock fender will rub on the tire and can't be used.

Result

This has made a huge difference to the bike's performance. Due to the front being about 12 - 15mm lower, the turn in is much livelier than before. The shocks have made the ride oh so smooth. The change of direction is effortless. I took it easy for the first few rides to gt used to the new handling of the bike, but I like it a lot:).

Here's a pic from my phone, I'll get better ones this weekend on my ride.

Looks good, did you do the Fz1n euro conversion headlight kit from partshark. I just got mine in the mail and tried to do the install last night but should have done a better job reading Motovations thread on Fz1oa. I'm gonna wait till I get my steel braided lines before doing the job now.

What made you chose to change the forks? Have you noticed that big of a difference?

So I guess the 09 or newer R1 forks require a R1 fender. Previous years do not. I'am very jealous of your set up

yep 09 or newer and you need the R1 o9 or newer fender.

Looks good, did you do the Fz1n euro conversion headlight kit from partshark. I just got mine in the mail and tried to do the install last night but should have done a better job reading Motovations thread on Fz1oa. I'm gonna wait till I get my steel braided lines before doing the job now.

What made you chose to change the forks? Have you noticed that big of a difference?

My bike came naked, we have that option here in Australia as they do in Europe. Huge difference. much smoother & quicker turn in.

The 204 had an option for ABS, not sure about the 206. You could check their catalogue and find out, the 2013 catalogue was just released, so some part numbers have changed for this season.

Congrats, the bike looks awesome. Some questions though:
a. The Abarth seems to have used same MC, Reservoir, lining as that of FZ1
b. Not sure if the Ohlins used here and there are identical.

So, is it still possible to use stock MC, Reservoir etc after using Ohlins front with
2 caliper brembos ??

I ran the Fz master cylinder with the r1 calipers to start with until I got the mirrors for the r1 mc, it worked fine, so I guess the fz mc with the brembo twin pot would be ok.

The Ohlins I have installed are higher spec than the original Abarth forks which are the Ohlins F43 forks. I also installed an Ohlins rear shock too since these pics were taken.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the update. Also can you point us to the link to the conversation you had on FZ1OA (if it isn't private), it would help us make a couple of decisions.

Overall your bike looks awesome. Great job !! Thanks for sharing with us.

/Manjunath B S

Ill try to dig the link up tomorrow. I just got to the drilling rig which I will be working on for the next three weeks and the link is on my other computer.

If you are going to spend the $ and time to install Brembo (or even R1 6pot calipers) it makes sense to put some time and $ into the master cylinder that is operating them. MC should be correctly sized for the application and should probably be a radial design. It is doubtful that best performance will be achieved by using the stock non radial design FZ1 MC.

Hmm, I wonder how they got away from doing this MC & Reservoir conversion on
FZ1 Abarth though. I think they are using 108mm calipers. This Abarth got me
all interested, hence I asked, if I could mod this with minimal conversion. I'm still a novice learning through, so could be wrong.

Regards,
/Manjunath B S

Last edited:
Back