Not to rip Hail off, but...

heh... that .25 part costs you 4 hours of diagnosis first...

THAT'S the part that scares me away. I can swap parts, change oil, whatever. An engine is an engine, no matter if it says Lada or Lamborghini on the valve covers. However, if I need a Porsche tech and his proprietary computer at $175/hr to find the problem, it can add up faster than I can pay. Again, though, it's only a problem if it breaks. If it's bullet proof reliable I'm willing to roll the dice on high repair costs, but if it breaks every second day no deal.

I would go with va rider on this if his buddy is a porsche tech. Don't get me wrong I love the look, design and engine numbers but if it's going to break it ain't worth it.

It's kind of like the guys at the Yamaha shop by me. All of them ride suzuki's and only one of the guys rides an R1. I see mostly yamaha's and KTM's getting serviced when I stop in there. I asked one of the service guys about buying a KTM enduro/dual sport and he was like "I would never buy a KTM". But, I still love my Yamaha and probably will never buy a Suzuki, although the Suzuki GSXR1000 1Million edition is pretty hot.

THAT'S the part that scares me away. I can swap parts, change oil, whatever. An engine is an engine, no matter if it says Lada or Lamborghini on the valve covers. However, if I need a Porsche tech and his proprietary computer at $175/hr to find the problem, it can add up faster than I can pay. Again, though, it's only a problem if it breaks. If it's bullet proof reliable I'm willing to roll the dice on high repair costs, but if it breaks every second day no deal.

I was looing up info on porsche forums before we dove in and got one. (learned my lesson there) There is some update for some of the coolant hoses which are of course under the engine, and if you have a look under the hood of those things there is no space. I don't think you could get a quarter to fall all the way thru anywhere under there...

My two cents... STAY AWAY!

As an ex-Porsche owner I can say with 100% certainty that they are VERY expensive to maintain. I eventually got to the point that I was afraid to drive mine for fear something else would go wrong. My last Porsche was a 1986 944 Turbo with ONLY 63k miles on it when I bought it in 1995. Now - for those of you who are math challenged - that's a 9 year old car that's been driven an average of 7k miles a year. The car came with full service records and they showed an amount EQUAL to the cost of the car new had been spent on it in it's 9 year life. I kept the car for an additional 10 years and spent another $20k on upkeep. And my time on the road in those ten years - 12k miles! There is no way I'd ever consider going back to the brand... As they say, there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche...

Back