not the same oil quesiton

Sorry

I did not mean to start OIL debate.. Just wanted to get any ideas for my question about RP. Got it 97 outside & motor run hot, duh... still lmao. I do change oil and filter 3000miles. I even will change it sooner if shifting changes, why because takes 10min. yup change it ride it.

The absolute last thing I would do is follow the manufacturers instructions. They have zero reason to help you make your engine last longer.

Really? I hate to say it Joe but I believe that is the absolute stupidest advice that I have seen on this board. I truly don't mean to sound insulting but it's interesting to find someone that thinks they know considerably more that the engineers that made this bike. So you know more than them? That is interesting.

I did not mean to start OIL debate.. Just wanted to get any ideas for my question about RP. Got it 97 outside & motor run hot, duh... still lmao. I do change oil and filter 3000miles. I even will change it sooner if shifting changes, why because takes 10min. yup change it ride it.

If you are worried about engine temp's give Engine Ice a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using yamalube for the last 5 years my Warrior,my Fz and the wifes vstar 1300 never had any oil related problems,change every 3 k miles.I think the real factor is not what you use but consistently changing the oil at decent mileage intervals.I never go more than 4k on an oil change.My warrior was an 05 with 40k miles when i sold it a year ago and still ran like the day I brought it home

I have been using yamalube for the last 5 years my Warrior,my Fz and the wifes vstar 1300 never had any oil related problems,change every 3 k miles.I think the real factor is not what you use but consistently changing the oil at decent mileage intervals.I never go more than 4k on an oil change.My warrior was an 05 with 40k miles when i sold it a year ago and still ran like the day I brought it home

You've hit this nail on the head! Buy oil and a filter and change it every 3k... it's just that simple! :D Well done!! :icon_beer:

Really? I hate to say it Joe but I believe that is the absolute stupidest advice that I have seen on this board. I truly don't mean to sound insulting but it's interesting to find someone that thinks they know considerably more that the engineers that made this bike. So you know more than them? That is interesting.

I thought that in the past I had established the fact that I use to be an expert in this field. You sir, do not have the background to consider me stupid.

You can continue on with your life and believe that manufacturers have your best interest in mind. You can also believe in the tooth fairy --- it really doesn't matter to me.

So, if you do what a manufacturer says -- you will get normal engine life.

I buy my wife a new car every 2 years. I let Honda do the oil changes when the stupid oil life light tells me to change. My engine is receiving excessive wear. I don't care. Honda tells the next buyer that I was an exceptional owner and took awesome care of the vehicle. Therefore, I get the maximum amount of money for my car at trade in. This is the way the world goes around. I would not allow my daughter to buy this car.

All major brand napthenic oil comes from the roughest and cheapest crude stock that money can buy. It will make your engine last an acceptable normal time. The additional cost to use a lubricant that will make it last 2 to 3 times longer than normal doesn't make sense for a motorcycle, where you can buy a perfect used engine for less than $500.

The bottom line is simple: Change your oil and filter @ 3000 miles. If you are in an ambient area of above freezing run a 20w50. If you are in a colder area -- store your bike and drive. :) If you are spending more than the cost of a Walmart oil --- you are wasting money. Period.

Two each his own. I think oil change frequencies relate to how the vehicle is driven and in what conditions. Obviously, chaning your oil every 3k miles won't do the engine any harm, but it may hurt your wallet a little more in the long run -and in my mind, that is wasting money - especially with a synthetic motor oil. Oil chemistry and engine technology have really come a long way, to a point where most can go several thousand miles with no harm. But I'll never understand why some people change their oil without changing the filter :doh2:

I'm just curious.. so you take your wifes Honda in for an oil change when the manufacturers light comes on, and you think it is receiving excessive wear? Because it is over the 3,000 mile mark? I'd be curious to see what an EOA will show.

I usually try to keep a vehicle for ten years. I just took that mentality cause my father does the same. Following manufacturers recommended maint. intervals, we have never had a problem. Had motors at 120k+ with zero issues. But like I said, you certainly won't hurt your motor by chaning your oil every 3k miles.

Back