Not idling and dying

G'day all,

I've got an issue with my 2006 Gen II where the bike will crank over, try to start (hear it begin to fire), but it will not start without throttle.
And then when it does have throttle, it will run semi-okay, until I let go of the throttle and then it dies straight away.
When getting the bike to run under throttle, it is running super rich to the point your eyes start burning.

The bike is running a few small mods such as PCV, Akrapovic exhaust, AIS delete, K&N filter

So far I have checked:
  • Spark/coils - all 4 are sparking fine
  • The plugs - cleaned and in good order
  • All fuses I can find - ignition, fuel pump relay, starter relay, main relay etc.
  • The therowax valve - cleaned and lubed with WD-40
  • All electrical connections under the tank
  • Fuel pump - is definitely getting fuel to the engine as you can smell it coming out the exhaust, plus plugs come out wet
  • Diag mode - has shown code 12 (crankshaft position sensor) but has been cleared and not shown again, also tested crank position sensor resistance and is in normal values
  • The map on the PCV - tried several such as a zero map, map with mods and then the map my bike came with again
  • PCV firmware upgrade
  • Probably some other stuff I've forgotten about
Now something super weird... When I unplug the Power Commander it will not even try to fire, only cranks over and the EXUP motor cycles continuously, so not sure if this could be related to my problem.

Bike was running completely fine before I attempted to install the Auto Tune unit for PCV, I did move the bike and not let it fully warm up before attempting to fit it. So I suspected the engine may be flooded, but I would have thought all fuel would be gone from when I've run it with the throttle.

Any help you guys can provide I would be super thankful for, this has been driving me nuts!

Last edited:
Just posting my solution in case someone else comes across a similar issue.

TLDR: Turned out to be the harness.

I had a strange issue where the bike wasn't even trying to start without the powercommander connected and the EXUP servo motor was going nuts (constantly cycling) whenever I didn't have it plugged in.
So I traced the wiring from the EXUP servo motor to find these strange connectors taped up in the harness:
20221011_111445.jpg
Doesn't look factory but the pins in the connectors weren't connecting properly, everytime I moved the wiring to the connectors something different would set off.
For example I'd hear the fuel pump kick in, sub thottles might cycle, I'd hear other relays click in.

Looking at the wiring diagram, the black and blue wiring appear to be what looks like a common earth which connected to the following:
  • Sidestand switch
  • Fuel pump
  • Crankshaft position sensor
  • Speed sensor
  • Atmospheric pressure sensor
  • Injector #4
  • Air induction system solenoid
  • Sub throttle position sensor
  • EXUP servo motor
  • Intake air pressure sensor
  • Throttle position sensor
No wonder the bloody thing didn't wanna run!
So I depinned the strange connectors, cleaned all the pins and bent them in a bit so they would connect to the bridge more securely.
Fired straight up like nothing was ever wrong.

I hope this helps someone, it was seriously driving me crazy for a good week or so.

Ride safe!

Last edited:
Back