(Not)Coming Soon....

What is the length of the body on the damper? A friend of mine has an 07 GSXR and he said the body length on his is 5". I went to the Yamaha stealership and looked at the R1 damper and the body is 4".

If your damper is 5" also and has a travel of 4" then I wonder if the R1 damper with a 4" body would have a 3" travel?

I'm no math/engineer, but it's worth a look. If I get off work in time, I will run by the stealer and look more closely at the R1 damper and see if I can measure the length of travel.

I just looked at the R1 damper and the body measures 4.5" and the travel is 2.5" lock to lock.

Looking at the front of my Gen II I have an idea for a mounting bracket, but I don't have any way of fabricating it. On the top of the radiator there are 2 screws that could be used as an anchor. It might be possible to create a triangular bracket that feeds through the forks below the horn.

Based on your measurements with the GSXR damper, would the 2.5" travel work?

The problem is the distance is too short... reducing the amount of steering available...
I went around searching, and saw that someone managed to do this before... here's what they did....

804d1251408411-not-coming-soon-damper-003.jpg

Above, You can see that with the bars at center (or close to) there's about an inch of travel left to the right... after that, the damper rod runs out... and you can't turn right any further...

803d1251408411-not-coming-soon-damper.jpg

Here again, same bike, same install... different view.

I'm looking at mounting it horizontally between the forks. There are 2 bolts on top of the radiator that bolt to the frame. I'm thinking about a "Y" bracket from the bolts that goes between the forks.

Then bolt the damper to the "Y" bracket and then to the forks.

I will let you know this afternoon. I'm going to take some more measurements and I will know for sure. A buddy of mine gave me another idea on where I might be able to mount it.

Let me know how much. Shipping zip is 22485

Back